Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / temporary lifting lugs
- - By darren (***) Date 01-25-2008 22:00
does anyone have any experience with engineered charts for how much weld and what size and type of lifting lug is to be employed when using temporary lifting lugs,
weight and material type to be considered.
the reason i bring this up is we have a indiscriminate system of welding on the lugs for temporary lifts and it would be nice to have some standards to go by and ive been told that such charts are not necessary. i disagree.

thanks
darren
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 01-26-2008 01:40
I used to see this all the time in my trade. Not so much these days. We had a foreman who used to say "only weld it on one side and wrap the corner so it's easy to break off with a hammer".  When he told ME that, I put a triple pass of E7018 all around it. He screamed and yelled but I didn't care because I was right and he was wrong.

Remember these words of wisdom an Oldtimer told me:  "You can make 10,000 excellent welds and nobody will know your name but make one weld that FAILS and KILLS someone and everyone will know your name.  Those 10,000 great welds you made over the decades will be cancelled out by that one weld and you'll have to live with it the rest of your life."
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2008 01:51
I do. I've got a copy of a pre engineered list for many different sizes of picking eyes complete with the amount of weld called out. It's pretty handy, but it's not solely for temp lugs.

I got it several years ago from a large contractor.

So yes, they do exist.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 01-26-2008 06:14
if youd be willing to share the info that would help in moving things forward within our safety committee. or at least where to get such a list
thanks
darren
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2008 09:23
Darren......I have not been subjected to ANY engineered charts on lifting devices.   But I will just say consider your weakest tensile strength (be it filler or base material) and add 30-40% for side loads.  Like said above if you overdo it nobody will remember your name,  if you kill someone everyone will know your name.  I know thats a crappy answer.....but I also know good welders can calculate by the seat of their pants what is sure to hold and what will not.   A former mentors advice holds true in this case "build like you never want to see or hear of it again".  Might be 5 minutes more time to remove but everyone goes home...you get my drift?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2008 16:26
I sent you an email.
I'm leaving for a job tomorrow (Sunday), email a fax number to me and I'll fax what I have to you.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-26-2008 18:10
JTMcC , how long will you be gone on job ? my brother was thinking of bidding on some cat dozers that are in kingman area . i was going to ask you about loboy and rail shipment from that area ? thank your wife for the nice e-mail she sent to up date me on what you were doing earlier this year . also thanks for all the nice post you do on the forum . i try to read all of them , coming from you they have special meaning . good luck . willie
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2008 20:14
Hi Willie,

Probably a week but you never know.

Who has the dozers for sale?

Kingman is right on both I-40 and the Santa Fe main line. There are a number of local loboys working around here but I don't know anything about what it would take to load a dozer on a rail car.
Also on U.S. 93 going north-south.

My wife/chic says "no problem".

Let me know if i can help.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2008 20:16
Santa Fe does have a yard in town where they load/unload pipe for pipeline jobs, large amounts of lumber, ect.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-26-2008 20:46
JTMcC , thanks he's coming over to pick me up right now we have to go in to anchorage to pick up another truck and loader . 2hr drive i'll talk to him and see what he thinks i know he's bidding on a cement truck but i think it's in kansas . good luck . willie
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-26-2008 20:50
Ok, let me know.
If it was owned by an outfit around here, I know quite a few of the heavy duty mechanics in the area and might be able to give you an idea about what level of maintenance the machine enjoyed.

JTMcC.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-27-2008 14:28
JTMcC , got in late , looks like they belong to mohave county . bids in 1 day but has a reserve so might not sell at this bid , i think i have seem these on there before last year .  if they don't sell maybe we'll try to buy after the sale if not to high , just depends on freight cost we'll have to research that . anyway thanks for your help , i'll keep you posted . let us know how you are doing on your pipeline and be safe . best wishes . willie
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-26-2008 14:10
I think you are taking the right approach is asking about this.  It is always better to KNOW you are safe, rather than to ASSUME you are safe.  You should be able to engage an engineer to develop a lifting lug loading chart for your company.  The chart should be based on the typical lifts you will be making.

We are fortunate in that our company has a staff of engineers who routinely calculate what is needed to safely lift loads of all kinds.  I am not allowed to share any of the information they generate for obvious reasons concerning liability (we have no way of knowing how the information will be used, except within our company).  I can say that other PEs and managers in the company do not even try to tackle lift questions on their own, even those who have done a lot of it. 

It is not a big risk to weld a lug onto a plate to lift it a couple of feet to a burn table.  But how many people understand the change in direction and magnatude of forces when a "big-by-heavy-something-or-other" is rolled over?
It is always amazing how many non-engineers believe they know how much a lug will hold, or a weld will hold, based on their years of experience.  Those folks might be right, and I suppose there will be no risk to life and limb as long as you are absolutely sure no person is standing where they could be in the line of fire if a lug rips out.  (Whatever the lug is attached to will be a different matter; the load and anything it impacts could be destroyed.) 

The real question is: Can anyone afford to be wrong?  Accidents are never planned.

Hopefully, your company will revisit thier thinking and have their own chart developed.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-26-2008 18:16
chet , that is very good advice . like the others have said if you do good no one remembers , if you do bad no one forgets . life is to short not to do it safe . good luck . willie 
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 01-26-2008 21:33
when i informed our plant manager that what he "feels" is safe means nothing to me as well what he "thinks" when concerning safety. i want to have the documented proof of what we are talking about and not feelings or thoughts. he is very angry with me. the only people that fear the truth are people that are lying.
when i bring up any safety concern i am dismissed and told to get back to work. because i bring up safety concerns i am considered a problem employee. however burdensome it becomes some days i will not quit bringing up safety concerns.
the only thing it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
we had some temp lugs break on a project on a 5'x10'x1" plate the other day and they hid that from me because they dont want an incident report.
still they refuse to produce a chart for lift lug parameters.
on monday we are being served with a possible fine and closure because of our safety practices and still it is me who is the problem for being concerned.
thanks for your responses
i will endeavor to continue  fighting  for our right to be safe
darren
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 01-26-2008 22:08
how is it that stupid people aren't brought out into the light and lynched?  if you're not doing what's right, then what ARE you doing?
Parent - - By blackdoggy (*) Date 01-27-2008 03:35
I got fired more than once for thinking safe or voicing my suggestions for a safer way to rig something. I guess I am supposed to be a mindless boob that follows orders and takes the blame when poop happens.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-27-2008 07:30
that does seem to be the attitude on too many sites and in way too many shops
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-27-2008 11:09
Greetings all,
I had just started on a Co-Generation project in Northern Australia and watched a guy weld a temporary lifting lug on a rolled plate for an overhead tank, no hot box, light rain and didn't even remove the slag off the weld. Before I could say anything they had lifted the 6 metre x 1.2 metre x 12 mm plate over the top of a safety officer (who was more concerned with reprimanding two guys for not wearing safety glasses) and then over the top of an office block containing nearly 100 office workers.
Needless to say there was a major shake up on safety once I had said my piece but the scary thing is that things like this go on everyday all over the world,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-27-2008 15:07
i agree with not removing the slag, because if the weld starts to tear the slag will pop off first.the old timers taught me that . what breaks temporary lifting lugs is usally improper placement of lugs,to the way it is rigged.sideways pull on a plate lug is always asking for it to tear off.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-27-2008 15:14
Hello darren and everyone else that participates and reads on this forum, my response to your post here is related, but not directly. SAFETY is the relationship of my response here. On 1/18/08 an individual that had been a father, husband, brother, son, friend and any number of other things to any other number of people, lost his life in an accident in one of the fabrication/manufacturing shops in our town. Gary had been working with his partner and was handling a 2800# weldment when it shifted unexpectedly and one of the lifting lugs that was attached to it struck Gary in the side of the head and instantly ended his life, he was 39 years old.
     Details on this incident are still very sketchy and the full story may never be known. The fact remains though, Gary will not be here for all of those who had known him. Those who are left have their memories, for some of those, particularly his co-workers, they have a memory that will haunt many of them for the rest of their lives. With safety there are no re-plays, this case is the best example of that. So as anyone considers the various safety aspects of getting this type of work done, that extra amount of minutes that it takes to be safe will likely be worth a life and as we all know life is priceless. Darren, you do have the right idea in your pursuit of information and wanting to know that a lifting lug won't tear away and will properly do the job you intend for it. I don't have the specific information to help you, I know it is out there though and I'm sure that someone will be able to provide some direction for you. As sad as this may sound, the reason that this information might not be readily available probably has to do with liability issues and facts that could put applications of this information under the scrutiny of our various court systems and leave the provider as part of a court proceeding. Lifting is similar to other engineered parts of many fabrications, done incorrectly, disaster! We can't go through our lives trying to necessarily anticipate every scenario for disaster, but we can certainly do our best to anticipate the obvious ones.
     Consider the surroundings when making any lift or lifting anything, don't put yourself in the "bite". Don't trust any chain, cable, sling, spreader bar, or other lifting type device. They can fail and you really never know when. DON'T walk under loads or travel loads over others. When considering forklifts, cranes(mobile or otherwise), stay out of the bite as well. We have all likely been subjected to failures of any number of these systems in our lives related to the trades, for the most part we have had near-misses, for those who haven't been able to have a near-miss we have only our memories of their greatness or other traits. Thanks for listening. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-27-2008 15:29
aevald is right never trust rigging. I have seen a 3/4" x 3' wire choker straight out of the box break on an under max load before, nobody hurt , taught me a life lesson.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 01-28-2008 23:55
as always a very respectable and respectful response Al.
im in major trouble today as i answered the safety inspectors questions honestly.
we'll see what happens. i will not relent on my attempts to make things safer.
i find it a direct respect for the men and women who have died at war and on the job so we have the right to be treated like humans and not a consumable.
darren
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-29-2008 00:20
Hello darren, I know that we have to make choices concerning our willingness to take safety to heart. I can only consider that your post is referring to possibly jeopardizing your employment as a result of a stand you have taken on the safety end of something or some situation. I wish you the best concerning the outcome of this. I also hope that this issue won't compromise your ability to provide for yourself and your family. Please accept my support for you here, even if it's only moral support. You can hold your head high when it comes to showing integrity for your beliefs concerning safety, as they may well save yourself or someone else from experiencing the pain or sorrow that can come from ignorance regarding safety issues. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 01-29-2008 12:17
I remember in a past shop, a lifting lug was, for lack of better a better term, hacked onto a chunk of coal chute(not my handywork, I might add), but a co-worker at the time was flipping it and the lug busted off.  BAM!  I heard the crash from across the shop, looked up, and thankfully nobody was hurt.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-30-2008 04:17
The problem with the half assed lugs is they are put on by people who don't understand the engineering behind the job and don't even have what it takes to make an educated guess, let alone be able to engineer something that could get an approval for overhead lifting.
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 01-31-2008 01:53
true...something as simple as WHERE to weld makes a huge difference also!  that's why you see some structural clips only welded on the 2 sides that are parallel to the direction of strain even when you could weld on 4 sides...engineers have figured out long ago that welding on the perpendicular edges actually weakens the parent metal and causes fractures.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / temporary lifting lugs