Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trouble Stacking Iron
- - By dylancowan Date 01-28-2008 15:12
I've got a 96 lincoln 250d with a three cylinder perkins engine. I'm having some trouble getting it to stack Iron when i run 3's. I'm running hippie rod downhill and i've already adjusted my rpm's. Just wondering if any one has any ideas as to a fix or if I'm just gonna have to continue recapping. Thanks for your time.
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 01-28-2008 20:50
I hate to admit it, but I need to have this post translated.  "...trouble getting it to stack Iron...." and "..just gonna have to continue recapping."???  What does that mean?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2008 21:12 Edited 01-28-2008 21:16
Recaping= doing it over and over.  Stacking iron= stacking beads on top of each other.  Doing it in 3's= 3 pass weld.  What kind of joint are you trying to run here brotha?  It says your a pipeliner so I'm assuming your talking about an open butt v-groove.  Am I right?  We need a bit more info on what kind of trouble you are having with stacking iron.
Parent - By dylancowan Date 01-28-2008 21:27
Yeah, open v bevel on anywhere from 6" to 16" pipe, usually .180 wall or maybe slightly heavier. When i said 3's i meant 3/16 7010 rod, but yeah 3 passes is correct too. One more point, when i run 5/32 instead of 3/16 it usually isn't such a problem but some inspectors out here insist on 3's and the job we're fixing to start has an inspector who is infamous for giving welders a hard time. Just wanted some input before we started. Any help is appreciated.
Parent - - By dylancowan Date 01-28-2008 21:21
'Stacking iron' is basically the height of your cap. Most inspectors out here want your cap to be 'a nickel high and dime wide' as in reference to the size of the weld. With this diesel machine it creates such a strong arc force that even if i have my heat turned down as low as possible my puddle can't cool quick enough to freeze to the pipe. Thus pulling the puddle down the pipe with my rod(not letting it stack iron). It basically leaves a concave weld especially in the middle where it's hottest. Let me tell you it can be extremely frustrating especially when i've tried every weave i know and asked for the opinion of other welders, all to no avail. The best advice I've gotten is to speed up and even though that helps, it's still usually not high enough after just one pass. After the cap is done, if it's not tall enough i'll have to go back over it with a 5/32 to try and let it stack up more. Sorry about the confusion and I hope this helps.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2008 21:28
Are you flushing out before you cap?  What size and sched pipe are you working with? oops you answered while I was typing.
Parent - By dylancowan Date 01-28-2008 21:31
Yeah, it's pretty thin walled so it's flush or maybe even a little higher in parts. This is cross country pipeline too if that helps any.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-28-2008 21:40 Edited 01-28-2008 22:04
Hey , on .188 I run 1/8 root, 5/32 fill and don't come out of the bevel and try and bring it out as close to flush as possible. I cap with a 3 and just drag it without weaving until I get to 4:00 then I might wiggle it a bit. Run the 3 as cold as you can without it going out on the side. It looks funny while the 3 is burning but when you buff it , it'll be there- Ted
Parent - - By dylancowan Date 01-28-2008 21:45
I tryed that for a few welds but I had some doubts as to the integrity of the weld so i stopped doing it. I'll try it again though. That does remind me of what one of the ol' boys i'm working with said about the cap 'just being laid on there for looks'. Thanks Ted!
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 01-28-2008 22:56
souds like you're having the same problems I was having a cpl years ago, I had a 300D with a continental diesel, talk about drive, it was way too harsh to make nice caps.  I sold it and bought a 56' stubby (shorthood), problem solved, I was trying everything you described but my caps were still too low until I got that old 200.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 01-29-2008 01:48
doesnt help tyring to keep up to me or ernie either. lol
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 01-29-2008 01:55
no it sure doesn't, especially when I'm the only capper!!! u still at PD?
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 01-29-2008 02:44
ya they want this rig outta here by the 31st. trucks are booked and the works . too bad they can't lower the derrick cause its too cold. their procedure won't let them lower it in -25 or colder and it's definitly colder. hopefully I'll be laid off this week. see you in Zambonia.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trouble Stacking Iron