Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Should I provide a two-way hydraulic stud tester?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 01-30-2008 02:55
If I'm to be the inspector on a stud weld job on a bridge re-build, and the studs are 3/4 inch diameter, the bridge code calls for a side to side hydraulic tester. This is also referenced in D1.1 Structural. Does anyone have any input on this device?
Thanks to all.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-30-2008 17:45
I don't recall a side to side hydraulic tester being mentioned in D1.1.  Can you reference a paragraph in Section 7?
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-30-2008 17:51
Be careful, D1.1 is a Building code, not a bridge code.  If you are working on a bridge job, you will need the bridge code D1.5.
The building code mentions a tensile pull test for threaded studs.  We only work with headed studs and we perforn the bend test of the first two to 30 degrees, and then to 15 degree's after that if there is any question.  But we work to D1.1 the buildding code.
Chris
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-30-2008 18:01
Stringer , i welded 7,000 1"studs on a bridge widening job a few years ago . they bent them for test with a sledge hammer , they just rang them with a small hammer to test ,  i haven't seen any hydraulic testers but they would probably be slow with set up time , but may be something new . keep us posted on what you do . good luck . willie
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-30-2008 18:48
D1.1 mentions the hydraulic bend tester (in an annex); D1.5 doesn't.  (And as far as I can tell, there is not always a well-reasoned explanation for the slight differences between the stud chapters in those two codes.)  What I've seen people do for production bend testing for bridge shear studs is whack them with a hammer or put a pipe over them and lean on it.  Both of those highly scientific methods are described in D1.5 para 7.7.1.4.

We just did some stud testing to failure in our lab.  We used a very expensive and highly sophisticated computer-controlled universal testing machine for the tensile test, and we used a biggol' pipe for the bend test.  As I recall it took two (calibrated) guys leaning on the biggol' pipe for the larger studs.

Hg
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-30-2008 20:26 Edited 01-30-2008 20:31
It's Annex G in D1.1.  However, that annex is for stud manufacturers to qualify stud base weldability.  It's not for the fabrication shop or for field use.  I was aware of that one, but the initial post led me to believe that the use of a hydraulic type tester was a shop or field application, and I didn't recall any such requirement.  In Annex G, it's intended to be used in conjunction with a tension test machine at the responsibility of the stud manufacturer.    
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-30-2008 20:31
I agree, the fancy fixture is for qualification testing in the lab, not for production testing in the field.  And it's not in the bridge code either way.

Hg
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-31-2008 02:14
After your most valuable posts, I have re-read the code and see that it is indeed a Manufacturer's obligation. It is in Annex E of the D1.5 bridge code and Figure E7.2 on page 219 of the 2008 edition.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-31-2008 14:19
Taking a slightly different tack on this, if you're the inspector, why would YOU provide the stud testing equipment?  Are you asking as the contractor's inspector or the owner's inspector?

The owner normally would not furnish elaborate test equipment.  The contractor usually has the burden of proving the work is acceptable, which usually means the contractor provides any special equipment.  I'd double check your contract documents to be sure it is your responsibility.

Sorry all, I scanned through quick (break time) and didn't see that others had addressed my point.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 01-31-2008 14:51
I've worked some bridge fab and used some high tech sledgehammers. It's quick and easy. Also you can not hit them to hard and make sure the ferrells are removed.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-31-2008 17:35
I've tested studs with a hammer as well.  I've also done torque testing for threaded studs.  Both are easy to do.
My thought was that if specialized equipment IS required to be used, it is not usually the inspector that supplies it.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-01-2008 01:36
Yes, Chet, I would be a contractor QC. If there were some Mag work to do I would sub that out, but I figured I could handle destructive testing. I understand hammers and how studs react and I am aware of bending with pipe according to the code requirements. It was that dang double acting thing that had me puzzled as I have never seen one. Now I understand why. As for torque testing, I don't believe this job will have threaded studs, or at least I haven't seen them on the prints yet.
I sure appreciate everyone kicking this around with me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Should I provide a two-way hydraulic stud tester?