Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rant About D1.1 2008
- - By eekpod (****) Date 02-01-2008 17:33
I don't mean to complain but I'm gonna anyway.

I keep getting all these mailings and catalogs about the 2008 version of D1.1.

I call today to order three of them for our company and they tell me they won't be out until "April or June" and that they are still waiting for the last minute changes.

They had 2 years to make the changes! What can be last minute when the latest version was published in 2006?
Sorry to complian it's just frustrating that's all.
Chris
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-01-2008 18:43
Last minute changes are due to the three or so levels of approval that must happen--any objections raised at those levels have to trickle all the way back down to the technical subcommittee to resolve and then back up.  Not to mention typos, layout errors, and other things that might have been discovered at the proofing stage.

That said, I don't like AWS advertising things before they're ready--if D1.1 publication drifts the way D1.5 did, we could be looking at D1.1-2009, and meanwhile people are debating whether to put off program maintenance activities such as rewriting their procedures, requalifiying, etc., till the new book comes out, whereas if they *knew* it would be another year, they might not put that stuff off.  I was particularly unamused at an email I got a couple of months ago telling me I should pre-order my D1.1 at the 2006 price for cost savings, but they wouldn't say what price the 2008 was going to be so I had no way to gauge that savings.

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rant About D1.1 2008