Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / how to kill a chicken killer
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-02-2008 00:34
Got real sick and tired of the varmints getting my foul, so here's what I did:

Went out to Home Depot and got a motion detector and some wire. Installed the gadget on the backside of the coop, and wired it to my bedside clock radio.

Killed 7 fox, and 2 coyotes last month.

Actually my 870 Remington wielding wife claimed 5 of the kills, since I wasn't around at the time...........
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-02-2008 03:09 Edited 02-02-2008 03:12
Heh.......... I love chickens

There is a story I could tell about my fancy bantams a couple of Coopers Hawks a trunk and some Led Zepplin......

But the DNR would track me down... Heh

I kept those banties in a little mini wading pool in the living room under a light and held each one several times every day until they were big enough to jump out...  After that they loved me and flew to me and sat on my shoulders when I came home from work.  It felt very natural to protect them.

Minks are the worst varments....... When a mink gets done it looks like a satanic ritual.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-02-2008 18:33
Sounds like you got a real winner, there, Sourdough. I'm unfamiliar with the 870 Rem, though. What's that like?
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 02-02-2008 18:41
Sourdough,

Can you please explain the wiring procedure?

Thanks,

Brett D.
Parent - By kelly_b (*) Date 02-05-2008 05:46
Sounds like a MacGyver episode. LOL
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-08-2008 09:03
I'll tell you, and my wife's thoughts are mutual. Everyone says, "chickens", big deal........BUT yeah it is a big deal! You get them when they are so little and helpless, and raise them for 6 months till they start laying eggs and cool............till predators pick them off one at a time.

Well...... BOOM!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-05-2008 16:40
I bought a wireless video camera with audio and infra red. It had a sensitive enough microphone to detect any fowl behavior going on in the middle of the night which I could hear over the TV.  I never caught anything but I enjoyed "Chicken TV" for quite awhile. We have dogs we leave out at night. We have in excess of 50 free range birds and have lost 3 to predators in the last 3 or 4 years.

Of course it could be that things just don;t want to eat em cause of the furrballs

Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-06-2008 11:13
Stringer     870 express is lead slinging joy...load action is smooth and light....it destroys what you point it at.  Seriously money wise its hard to beat for a 12 gauge pump.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-07-2008 06:59
An 870 or a Mod. 12 Those are probably the 2 shotguns with the largest followings. Which is best ? that is like asking which is better, Lincoln or Miller.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-08-2008 08:56
Well, this one was my grandads. It's killed more things in it's time, yet never deviates from it's target....... you guys with birds know my plot. I got a real good bud that brain tans. Should have a full dress hat and coat  shortly,
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-08-2008 08:57
Awwwww.............
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 02-08-2008 14:20 Edited 02-08-2008 14:32
S'funny that.  (not sure how to post it, but hey...)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/gun2002.jpg

Ironic, because I couldn't use it on an animal unless it was messing with my way of life or if I was gonna eat it, but the name is a total play on where I work!

The cat in the pic is an indoor, so no worries.  He's not as cool as "MY" cat was.  Growing up back in the day, my cat was the adopted alley cat that would not only catch, but would toss, torture and just outright f*ck with any mice, birds and squirrels he caught!  Hell, he'd even leave parts on our doorstep as an offering (tails, stomachs, etc...), lol, good ol' Oscar!  One time, my tabby brought a mouse into the house...the mouse escaped and ran up my uncle's pantleg.  Good...amusing, times!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-08-2008 15:44
mine brought in a pheasant
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-08-2008 15:48
nice paint job! my tater gun is under 4 ft of snow......hopefully I havent plowed it into my snow mt.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-09-2008 05:31
My cat has a pass through door into the basment. She was stocking the basment with critters so She could hunt indoors it seemed. Actually She was just bringing them inside to play, but some would go places She couldn't, like mice under machine tools & the birds sitting on things stashed in the floor joists. She brought a bird in at 11:00 one night. Turns out She figured out that they roost, and all You have too do is climb the tree and grab 'em. Other cats were coming in and eating Her food, and marking the door on thier way. Now the door is "out only" that solved both problems.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 02-10-2008 06:46 Edited 02-10-2008 21:18
I'm sorry pipewelder but that is one homely lookin' chicken! What kind is it? What color are their eggs?

These are black astralorps, red star and what was a really nice pheonix rooster. I'm sure he put up a good fight. There were feathers scattered from hell to breakfast.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-11-2008 00:15
Well, no wonder. A shotgun. I was thinking one of those old west calibers and I thought, heck, with ballistics like a cannonball, that's some really great shooting. I mean, it's great shooting anyway. I'm just more of a rifle guy.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-14-2008 14:31
3" magnums baby!! There aint much left, but if you get enough of them, you can make a nice hat.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-11-2008 02:58
That is a hybrid called a showgirl. Its a cross between an Silkie and a Turken.  My wife is kinda partial to the uglier breeds . Her site is jennsanimals.com. She has some that are much uglier. The silkies have black meat and a taste different than anything else. They have a off white/beige egg. The Turkens lay brown eggs.

Gerald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-16-2008 05:42
That is pretty cool, I wonder if it could tell 1 cat from another, or if the magnet would still need to be incorporated?
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-18-2008 18:06
It looks like they have it programmed to recognize their three cats, and no one else.

Looks like they're going to start selling the device.  I wonder what you'd need to do to program it to accept your cat.

Hg
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / how to kill a chicken killer