Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Another question on 6061 Aluminum
- - By SEAPLANE (*) Date 09-02-2002 22:58
I was wondering what other welders out there like to set their Wave balance and Hi frequency settings on when welding T6061 Aluminum? I am using 3/32 pure tungsten with a Thermodyne 300 AC/DC inverter. The weld joint is a seam weld that is two pieces of .080 aluminum. I am setting my wave balance just slightly on the cleaning side and the frequency about midway on the dial. Also, Does anyone think the Zirconium Tungsten would be a better choice than the pure? Any comments would be appreciated--
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 09-03-2002 06:18
Zirconium Tungsten electrodes have a beautiful round shaped end during welding and have less risc to drop off into the weld compared with pure Tungsten. This electrode has also less tendency to rectify the AC current than a pure Tungsten electrode. This means you have to set another balance point on your machine.

Zirconium Tungsten is more expensive, but easier to weld with.
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 02-23-2003 17:03
Would you say zirconiated tungsten is also easier to weld steel in DC as well?

Thx,
Dave
Parent - By M.L. (*) Date 02-24-2003 16:58
well here is a strange but but good way of welding aluminum, I use a 2% thoriated tungsten to weld it due to the fact that it keeps its point better.
Parent - By Weldtec Date 03-09-2003 15:18
set the ac ballence to full pen or 100 percent if aluminum is acid cleaned and wiped with alcohol or acitone and i use a sharp 3/32- 2% thor tung and weld with .035 filler or .065. key is weld prep if your alum is oxidized or dirty you will have massive perosity and poor cosmetic appearance. do not touch weld area with bare hands use O.J. simpson rubber cloves or sergical cloves wile handling material. while welding be sure to apply filler so that it completly melts into the weld pool. this procedure will give you less perosity along the toe of the weld and it should be a shiny look to it. you should have 100 percent penatration without any unmelted wire sticking thrue but have a nice even flow of penatration[ or burnthrue ] the ac ballence is intended to HELP clean the aluminum, but is not a cleaning agent , use a gray wheel or scothbrite but best results is stainless steal wool with acitone, try it the aerospace industry loves it and so do I. AWS Mill spec 1595-A [Weld Specialties] weldspecialties@msn.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Another question on 6061 Aluminum