Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seeking Advice/tips/hints for mild steel, 6011 root pass,
- - By DiabolicaL Date 02-04-2008 03:01 Edited 02-04-2008 03:44
i'm half way through my first year welding

passed a first try at a flat position, butt joint, with 30 degree bevels on either side (no feather edge)

I was wondering if anyone could possibly post some tips or hints that could be used to get quality welds in each position (flat, horizontal, vertical, overhead)
i've only tried flat and horizontal so far

root pass with 6011
5 filler passes with 7018

Sorry for the slack paintshop drawing, but below is a project picture to show what we have to do

[IMG]http://content.imagesocket.com/images/11749.jpg[/IMG]

Flat position
6011 = setting of 60-75 seemed to work for me, 20-45 degree travel angle, whip and pause motion (i still find starting and ending, i wont burn through the tacks as well as id like too, need practice

7018 = (first pass) travel angle, small circles stringer all the way across, i set it to about 110-125
(second-6th) travel angle, aimed at toes , stringer(leaving the top edges exposed for guidlines for 5/6th passes)

Horizontal position
6011 = setting 90, whip pause, travel anglle, 0-20 upward angle
7018 = 110-125 setting, 0-10 degree angle up comprensate for gravity, stringers

More advice or tips or hints for all positions would be muchly appreciated, thanks in advance

THANKS in advance for any advice, its much appreciated
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-04-2008 03:28
I would suggest to quit using 6011 and start using 6010. 6011 is a general purpose welding rod verry common to FC welding. 6010 is a rod designed to be run DC for carbon steel welding.
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-05-2008 03:41
plate thickness?  6011/6010 diameter?  7018 diameter?
on your root flat position: travel angle can be anything.. just don't trap any slag, and keep in mind it can control your heat too.  also if your plate isn't thick and groove isn't wide, you shouldn't have to run separate stringers for the cap.  since you're wonderin; vertical and overhead is the same as flat.
Parent - By DiabolicaL Date 02-05-2008 18:41
the thickness of the mild steel is

3/8"

i cant remember the diameters of the rods right now, but i'll check it out tomorrow.

I'm practicing my horizontals now,
once im finished the root pass and look at the root side, clean the slag off

The root looks pretty uniform, no buldges or holes, etc .. but so far i can only get the root to be flush across with the 2 plates, i cant seem to get the little convexed curve on it

was wondering, is having the root flush with the 2 plates be considered a failed pass? or is the convexed curve on the root very important?

just curious, thanks for any advice or infomation
Parent - - By DiabolicaL Date 02-06-2008 15:31 Edited 02-06-2008 15:43
i discovered that i can do a whip and pause root pass in all positions and they look very neat,uniformed and consistant

(horizontal)
but still cant get full penetration, just flush, or even with the two plates

thought it might have been to wide of a gap i had, closed it up some but i got same result (flush)
tried again with same gap but with a smaller arc gap (just barely touching the plate) but i found when i whipped, metal would build up in front of the rod instead of widening the keyhole, then id just stop and be left with a hole,  not good looking at all

i may try a little bit more amps with a vertical type whip and pause method

my digi pic cam dont have macros for really close up, might be able to get a shaddy pic of it tho

i found vertical penetrated more and was fairly easy to maintain the keyhole going up one side, down, across , up other side, etc, worked out well for a first try
overhead was pretty simple too, except again for the flushness and no convexed root.

practice, practice i guess
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-06-2008 16:52
Keep your electrode end sunk below the top plane of the parent mateiral always. The further your electrode is driven below the surface of the parent material the better chance you have to convex your root.

If your machine has Arc Force control, turn it toward maximum when attempting open roots. This will keep your arc from snuffing out when you drive it deep into the root opening.
Parent - By DiabolicaL Date 02-06-2008 20:50
i think i may not be pushing the electrode in far enough

ill practice this tomorrw

Thanks for the time to post, much appreciated
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seeking Advice/tips/hints for mild steel, 6011 root pass,