Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe: walking the cup or free hand
- - By Richard LaCombe (*) Date 02-02-2008 23:30
There are mostly wanting combo welders(stick &tig) for jobs. Most of the jobs I'v talk to want only tig welders that walk the cup,no free hand! Is this what you have been running into?  Has the work for welders slowed, I don't see as many ads as I did on the internet; talking about construction jobs.
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 02-02-2008 23:45
Most construction companies want welders who walk the cup because this is accepted as the industrial standard for welding pipe. Most outfits who specialize in boiler tube work will not care if you free hand because that is what most of the tig work will be. If you go to roadtechs.com and click on construction (jobs only) you'll find a bunch of work for us welders so I couldn't say work is slowing down. If you need tips on walking the cup, put that in a search on this site and you'll find lots of information about it. It is not really any harder than other techniques and once you learn......you'll never go back to free handing.
Parent - - By Richard LaCombe (*) Date 02-03-2008 01:02
I've been welding with tig since the late 60s. Tig welders in construction were few then. I can walk it or free hand it. I've done more boiler tubes then I care to remember, great job in the winter.I like to be burning rods outside in the summer, just crazy I guess.I've taken test where they wanted the root to be as thick as a pencile or flat with no rise. I give them what they want on the test and do what it should be in the field. Walking the cup is much faster on 4" and above pipe, I like free handing the smaller size; my $.02. Guess its from all those boiler tubes. Even on roadtechs.com there aren't as many listing, I like it when ever other listing is for welders.I love them needing us!
Even for boiler tube welders,I've found lately, or given on 2", 6g, they want you to walk it. It was once the norm to take two test for boiler tubes vertical & horizonal, I was glad when most went to the 6g. On other pipe I like putting the root in with tig on 4" and above, but like welding it out with stick.When I ran my own rig I had a sticker on the window that read " GOOD WELDING IS NOT CHEAP-- CHEAP WELDING IS NOT GOOD".I think that says it all!!!
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 02-04-2008 09:28
You have alot more experience than I do, I apologise because I thought you might be looking for help with walking the cup....my mistake. I learned to walk the cup on carbon steel over 20 years ago, but didn't actually need it as all I was welding was aluminum tig for about 5 years. I changed jobs to weld stainless pipe where they wanted guys who walked the cup. Welding stainless pipe and carbon pipe are very similar, but not the same and since it was so long since I had learned to do it........I had a rough time remembering how. Took a 2" sched 40 stainless test and put in a killer root free-hand. That probably saved me because they wanted cup walkers , but they let me hang with some guys who were willing to give me pointers and it wasn't more than a couple of weeks where you couldn't tell I had not done much of it.
I have done my share of boiler tubes too and really both techniques are good to know. I like  stick welding pipe too, but I cannot stand mig or flux core.
Parent - By Richard LaCombe (*) Date 02-04-2008 17:19
No apologie necessery,I was just wordering if other welders were running into this, wanting only cup walkers. You do need to learn both if you are going to do small bore pipe. Amend to not liking flux core or any mig welding. No hard feeling to you who like mig, each to his own!
Have done very little aluminum pipe,as matter fact only once on the job. That was with DC and not AC tig, what a learning experience. Thank goodness it was only pressure tested not X-rayed because I do think the root would have made it. That was in the mide 70s never ran into any again on the job. I think if they need the welder bad ,they will let you do it  the way you want as long as you pass the test.
I would have no problem getting a pipe job with only stick all the way,but its getting where only pipelining offers that.
Parent - By Flash Date 02-02-2008 23:46
obviously they are labour hire companies that hire out operators by the hour
because walking the dog is as slow as walking a turtle, if you are good at free hand its as goos as walk to dog anyway just with out the RSI repetitive starin injury
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 02-03-2008 05:05
no  one should tell you how to do it as long as you follow procedure with temp and progression and fillermetal its up to you to freehand or walk the cup I like free handing but if the spot is really tight i'll walk the cup
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-03-2008 19:17 Edited 02-03-2008 19:20
yeah I think thats kinda BS I learned to walk the cup in school it was so hard but when I got on the job these guys were mostly free handing the root and this is all on stainless pipe to. For me it depends on the mood I'm in I guess, somedays I feel I can free hand the root better then walking it but over all I think walking the cup is more efficient for me. another welder at our shop says he prefers to free hand sometime more then walking the cup because he can do it better and speed wise this guy is just as fast or maybe even faster free handing it then walking it on smaller stuff of course. But I think you should learn to do both walk and free hand I wish I would have learned free hand first.

Chris
Parent - - By ason1965 (*) Date 02-03-2008 21:52 Edited 02-04-2008 01:22
I am learning Tig and slowly getting consistent at walking the cup on pipe-carbon, stainless and chrome. But freehanding for me has been a little bit harder to get good at. The guys I am learning from do both, they like to freehand at the bottom and coming up past the 5 or 7 o clock they start walking the cup, at least when working on pipe laying on racks at the yard. I guess in the heater boxes and on shutdowns you do what works best and having both techniques down is best.

As a military pilot for the past 18 years I thought I had good eye hand coordination and all, but I have a new found respect for welders and in particular guys who weld pipe with Tig. It has been a helluva challenge for me to pick up, not to mention there is so much that is literally technique in addition to procedure.

My hats off to all good welders! Without you a lot of man's greatest creations would of never been possible.

Dean
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-04-2008 03:24
Thanks Dean it's funny I hear alot of guys say man I have so much respect for you because Tig is so hard haha I say I have so much respect for stick pipe welders because tig isn't really all that hard I seemd to pick it up pretty dang fast but for me stick welding pipe was always very hard to learn or I should say to get really good at it. I'm back in school now for a refresher course in stick welding pipe, it's coming back but boy it seems to be harder than tig for me anyway. Just the dang fill and cap were hard.
Keep up with the tig you'll get it, each week you do it you'll notice an improvement for me stick would take 2 weeks before i noticed I was getting better. You'll get it.

Chris
Parent - By ason1965 (*) Date 02-04-2008 04:44
Chris, thanks, my only real experience has been with Tig since that is what I am around with my family most of the time. But I have heard that pipe welding with SMAW is very difficult to learn and master. It is my next goal.

Dean
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-05-2008 00:34
I also saw an ad that said "walk the cup, no free hand."  To me it wouldn't matter, but remember not all joints can be welded with the walk the cup method (such as some joints w/ a restriction).  I strive for my "hand" method to be just as good as "walk the cup".  I don't think that'll happen in my lifetime.   However, when it comes to root on small SS pipe, I prefer the hand method.  It seems to produce the slickest root.  Also, a lot less strain on the wrist (RSI as someone mentioned).  With the hand method my tungsten does not change as much as when I "walk the cup".  Also, the ability to change travel speed in an instant. Where as, if I walk, the cup has to walk more in a given amt of time to pick up speed ...means quick twisting of the wrist, and the risk slipping the cup off joint. Arc strikes are no good!  Skipping forward too would mean lack of fusion where I didn't oscillate.

Anyone have any pointers on welding a joint on the other side of the pipe that I don't have direct access to (tig process)?  I've tried this, but could only reach it with stick (with the electrode bent).  One hand with mirror, of course. ;)  Oh, and on 6g. 
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-05-2008 05:36
I freehand, mostly. Lefthanded cup walking is what I do on breaks to keep me humble.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe: walking the cup or free hand