Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / bearing caps on 1,2,3 piston rod here is the picture??
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-05-2008 23:51
These are the pictures on 1,2,3 piston rods and the crank is scored pretty good (from what I see but I'm no machinist) on 3 and number 1 so I guess I'll be looking for a good engine rebuilder here's the pictures what do yall think? I did find some brass shaving in the bottom of the pan just flakes.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 00:06 Edited 02-06-2008 03:30
thats about the clearest I can get it but I'll try and take more next weekend
Attachment: 6170Bearing1.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 02-06-2008 00:36
chris , looks like you need to check your crankshaft . if you want a good engine you need to rebuild it or get a good one . these old welders are nice to play with if you can fix them yourself , but if you make a living with it you should just buy new and just weld . thats what i would do . good luck . willie
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 00:40
I'm gonna look around here for a rebuilder, buy new yeah like um 13 gran for a new one um no thank you lol
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-06-2008 00:43
Here ya go chris....
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 01:47
John how do you make them smaller?
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 02-06-2008 03:17
can ya clear them up a little?
you should use a site like photobucket or something to link up pics
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 03:24
I think my problem is I zoomed in to much I need to not zoom it so much. I'll try and take more pics next weekend to show yall. Had off today because of Mardi Gras but will take more pics when I'm off next weekend.

Chris
Parent - By banshee35 (**) Date 02-06-2008 03:27
Do you  have a macro setting on your camera? if so, use that and you can be close to the bearing when you take the pic.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-06-2008 03:28
Chris, the crank should be as smooth as glass, and those bearings are worn out. that copper color You see is the layer UNDER the bearing metal. If I recall You have a shop job presently, so that gives You the oportunity to restore this machine [if You choose too] while You have an income independant of this machine. There seems to be a good market for these machines in any condition, so if You sell it as is, restore and keep or restore and sell You should make out OK regardless.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 03:45 Edited 02-06-2008 03:48
Dave I don't plan on selling this machine. I bought this machine for hope that oneday I could go out on my own. I do work in a shop right now so it isn't like I am starving or anything like that but was hoping I didn't have to rebuild this motor it is ashame it doesn't smoke and starts up really fast. Tomorrow I'm going to call around and try and find a good engine rebuilder to rebuild it. I don't see the sense in just haveing the crank ground I don't do anything half a** I'll probally have the entire engine looked over.  The crank is not smooth like glass it is pretty crappy it doesn't feel smooth. The rod bearing say like .010 so I assume and hope it can still be ground again to fix it. I'm gonna first find a builder then after I get it all taken apart I'm gonna fully restore like sandblast the frame and repaint it and if I could even have the generator part looked over some and spruce it up some. I was wanting to do all this just wish the motor didn't need to be rebuilt but hey this is a lesson learned when you buy something used you are sometimes buying someone elses problems it's all good I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be LOL Thanks for all of the help everyone

Chris
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-06-2008 05:14
that crank could have already been out of that particular block it might have come from another engine. If it has to be turned again, make sure and have the engine shop check the crank alignment. If it is not the original crank for that block it needs to be line bored. All line boring consists of is torquing the main caps to the block and checking alignment. If it is not correct it creates a lot of excess wear and very short bearing life.
As far as the photos, it is really hard to tell how bad those bearings are worn. As a rule of thumb, if it catches a fingernail when you scratch across it. Thats excessive wear and a rebuild won't last anyway. I have seen bearings that wear worn and grooved pretty bad still have a good crank. A new bearing and plastigauge is an easy and inexpensive way to check.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-06-2008 08:33
chris theres a guy in magnolia tx that sells long blocks 1295 with exchange also another in sherman 1350 with exchange as long as what you have can be rebuilt they want charge you a core charge the guy in magnolia seems better to deal with and closer to you thats the way i would go going rate around here to have 1 rebuilt is 1500-2000 and yeah it sucks that guy bent you over like that but when you're done you'll have 1 hell of a rig
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 12:27
Shad can you get me the phone numbers to these two place?? yeah it does suck but hey that life I guess like they say lifes a ***** then you die LOL
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-06-2008 11:52
Hi Chris,
I used a free shareware called irfanview.....  http://www.irfanview.com/

Very easy to use, if I can figure it out, most anybody can....LOL

Then use the largest resolution possible on your camera, then open the picture with irfanview and resize/resample to about 800x600, that size fits most 15" monitors where you can see the whole pic without having to scroll.

If you use Photobucket, it automatically resizes to 800x600 if you choose that feature under the options menu.

About your pics, a couple suggestions: when you are taking pics within a few inches like that, use the macro button on your camera like was suggested already(symbol looks like a flower), and don't zoom unless absolutely neccessary, and if the camera is in auto-focus mode, push the shutter button only half way down, then give it time to focus and sharpen the image before pushing the button all the way in to snap the pic.

Good luck with your engine build. If you can feel scratches with your fingernail on the crank bearing journals, you will need to have the crank turned to clean it up...if it just has very minor wear you might be able get by with just polishing the journals.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / bearing caps on 1,2,3 piston rod here is the picture??