Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New welding machine Question
- - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-06-2008 19:01
I bought a new lincoln 500 vantage with the Cummins 3.3 diesel engine. Two question for all 1st Q. how is this machine holding up and have they had any problems overall.
2nd. I have 100 hours on mine.. I think I have ran 4 tanks of fuel through it and it stated to idea up and down from top to bottom bad or surging.. I thought it was a ceilanoid going bad took it in and they told me it was fuel filters.. I could not believe that, but it fixed it for about another 4 or so running hours and started doing the same thing again, but has stop after a few minutes of acting up so any thoughts or has any one else with this machine experienced this problem thank you from Mi..
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-06-2008 19:19
little late to be asking opinions on machine, don't ya think?
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-06-2008 19:34
No I did my home work before I bought it through other forums.. new it was one to hold up a long time and has a lot of power.. I love the machine welds awesome.. I am new to this forum and just wanted to get some feed back and find out about the surging issue.. P>S you must be a miller fan!!
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 02-06-2008 19:41
It sounds to me like you have some water in your fuel. Have you dumped the filters to see what all comes out?
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-06-2008 20:01
All the fuel I bought was from top selling station in my area. plus filled my truck up at same time diesel. had no issues with the truck. but the Cummins dealer did the filter change but did not say if any water or other was in the filters. They said the micros in these machines are double what they used to be so less stuff get through to the engine. but my Q to them was just a little over 88 gallons to cause all these problems has me worried
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-06-2008 23:54
i have heard that you have to run a certain weight oil in the 300d or it does that also.might be something to check dont no for sure though.just grabing something out of the air.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-07-2008 02:50
just messing with ya. I know for a fact that deere diesel engines have much finer filters on them now. Don't know if that's your problem though.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-07-2008 19:44
The oil weight issue is with the Kubotas, not the Cummins. What is the code number of your machine? I can pull up a wiring schematic and see what controls your solenoid, etc. On some of these machine we have found faulty or dirty connections that are causing similar problems. But I don't won't to say one way or the other until I see a schematic.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-11-2008 02:46
To KSELLON:

THE MODEL IS K2406-1
SERIAL U1070303221
VANTAGE 500
WITH A CUMMINS B 3.3 DIESEL ENGINE ANY INFO WOULD HELP THANK YOU!
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-11-2008 13:42
We're almost there. Between your 'K' number and serial number is your CODE number (11310 for example).
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-12-2008 00:25
sorry # is 11416 on this machine
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-13-2008 22:16 Edited 02-13-2008 22:28
Here is a manual on your machine: the wiring schematic is toward the back. HOWEVER you should not be worring about this- its under warranty -- call Lincoln Electric 888-935-3877. You can give them your serial number and code and see if any warranty claims have been filed. And you can find out what they have to say, buy I can tell you its not going to be a fuel filter causing a surge.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/operatorsmanualdatasheet.aspx?p=48863

I would look at faulty ground connections and dirty plug connections to fuel sender, etc. We have had no problems with these machines. Faulty connections or grounds will cause surging.
Parent - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-13-2008 23:24
thank you,

Bear
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-07-2008 05:56
I would check to be sure that there are no air leaks in the fuel system on the tank side of the lift pump. Small ammounts of air will make many diesel engines surge. Restrictions in the fuel system do the same.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-07-2008 13:00
Thank you I will check
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-07-2008 16:53
Vman,

I have a friend who bought the 300. It was doing the same thing as yours, he took it to the shop and they load banked it to burn it in and it made a big difference he says. It used to smoke and load up when he was welding before. Much better now. Just a thought.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 02-07-2008 16:53
it's just a thought but seems unlikely maybe try a filter heater element. your up in michigan maybe your havin gelling problems. Your diesel truck should have a line heater built in from the factory, but with the fine filter maybe it wont take much but we dont even have gelling problems up here. just a thought

Jesse
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-07-2008 19:39
I keep the machine in my heated barn at night so the cold thing is not an issue
but, what is load burning. it will smoke bad until it warms up then runs like a champ! with no smoke
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 02-07-2008 19:44
I have air arc gouging a lot with it lately at 375 amps and not shutting it off at all during the day to try to break it in alittle harder I was told that the cummins are meant to run all and hard and shutting them down and starting then all the time could do more harm then good
The thing gets great gas milage so to speck!!
Parent - By Hoeky (*) Date 02-07-2008 19:46
deisel trucks will surge if the injectors are faulty.  Id say thats what it is.
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-11-2008 06:05
If I could justify the cost of this machine I would own one in a heartbeat.  Even with the problem you are experiencing.  A friend of mine bought one of these exact machines and experienced the exact problem.  Much frustration for sure but a smple replacement of not only the fule filter but the filter housing cured the problem for good.  Seems as if some level of vibration in this machine effectively causes the fuel filter to loose seal at the housing and as a result suck air into the system.  Surging at welding operations insued.  Some new pieces and a little rework to minimize effects of vibration and all is good.
This machine kicks some serious butt!  But at at price.  Whew!

As always it is not that the machine (and the additional accessories such a s a F-450 to carry it and the other required tools around) costs too much, It is just that I do not make enough!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New welding machine Question