Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / contract work questions
- - By missouridave Date 02-08-2008 14:05
ok.  my first post here.  I have been a welding inspector for a stable company for 16 years.  But more and more tired of just getting by.  I get calls all the time asking for contract CWI work. You know the drill, weeks or even months away from home, but much better money than I make now.

So my question is, for all you road warriors out there, is it worth it?  Exactly how hard is it on families to be gone so much?  My latest offer would be about 3X my current salary when OT, etc. is included.  I appreciate any advice you can give.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-08-2008 14:22
Before you consider a road job, be sure that you compare the benefits offered where you are as compared to where you are going.  Some road jobs dont offer any benefits, just high pay.  When you consider these type jobs you have to pay for your own life, health, retirement etc.  It can be done but you have to be fanatical about setting the money aside to pay your own.  Most permanent jobs have a benefit package that is worth 15-20 bucks an hour.  Also if you are going to rely solely on your CWI cert, you may want to consider getting some training in Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant and Radiography.  These additional NDE certs will enhance your employment opportunities.  Make sure that your family is supportive of your decision to do road work.  Is your spouse self reliant? She needs to be able to handle all the things that you wont be there to handle.  Good luck.
Dave
Parent - - By missouridave Date 02-08-2008 15:11
Thanks for the input.  That's the kinda of advice I'm looking for. Oh, and yeah, I have other certs.  NAS-410 Level III in MT, PT and UT.  ASQ CQA, CQT along with the CWI.

Just curious how most families get by.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-08-2008 15:39
there has been a lot of threads on this in the past. i had lived on the road for many years earlier in my career. the thread linked below is one of the best descriptions of how it really is. dbigkahunna gives a great explanation.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=81072;hl=wife#pid81072
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 02-08-2008 18:53
Thanks for the question. I'm looking at some of the same things. I'm also thinking of relocating so thats why I could do this for 1-2 years then reset up shop. It still weighs on my mind of the pitfalls of travel that these guys have brought up. Everything comes with a price. I just want to makeup for a few years. I do know of some really high paying contracts though.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-08-2008 15:42
What are you willing to give up for the $$$???
Can you stand having the wife call at 2 AM and her mother has died and you are two days away from home. It is the dead of winter and getting a flight from somewhere close will cost you $1300 and you will loose 4 days pay?
Or you havent seen the wife and kids in six weeks. You pull up to the house and something is different. And the three days you are home something just dosent feel right. No one wants to talk to you. You get back on the job and wife calls and tells you she is filing for divorce.
Or you are throwing back a few, you havent been home in 8 weeks and a warm thing slides up to you and ask you to buy her a drink.
On the positive side, you will have the opportunity to work in places you cannot dream of. Some good, some bad.
Your family will have the opportunity to travel and experience new things and people.
I have done this a long time and I want to say it ballances out.
But it does not.
They pay you more because they own you soul. You are selling your skills and most importantly yout TIME for $$$. That makes you a prostitute. If you have the attitiude for what it takes to be a road worker, are really good at it, and stay with it for more than 5 years there is something a little off about you.
And when you try to stop, and settle down, it is HARD. On the road, you are the only one who counts. You send the check home and you feel importan because you are providing your wife and family with a higher standard of living.
Balderdash! Your wife and kids will remember the TIME you spent with them more than the $$$ you made.
BABRT's too damn long   
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-08-2008 16:09
Exacto mundo Kahunna. You need to figure what it's worth to be on the road. Like BK says, it will change your life....

My only child started walking last week, while I was camped out in my fifth wheel 300 miles away. It ticked me off, but I kept hearing the ch-ching of a cash register opening each hour that went by. Oh yeah, it will test you - my wife can attest to it. The other day I pulled my hood up and there was my wife smiling and saying "surprise!"

I'm positive she was there to make sure I was sparkin and arkin, instead of bouncing a mattress!

P.S. My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me. Without her, I couldn't do what I do. Sometimes you get a good one.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-08-2008 17:22
I prefer being at home as much as possible. I did my "roadwork" in little spurts (spring and fall paper mill outages etc) which helped with short term $ and also helped me appreciate being home. I was also blessed with living within 5 minutes of 2 fabricators that were fabricating various types of equioment for air pollution control at power plants.

One thing to look for is possible work for customers of fabricators that may be a "day trip" distance away. A couple of days a week with that type of work can provide some cash flow. Insurance, no-unemployement , doing your own billing/accounting, etc can add up.

Best wishes with your decisions

Gerald Austin
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 02-10-2008 22:10 Edited 02-10-2008 22:31
Hello Dave, your first post is a whopper. I agree with hogan if you follow the link & read bigk's post on 12/20/07 a better description will be hard to find.

"So my question is, for all you road warriors out there, is it worth it?" Unfortunately the answer to that will be revealed after the damage is done.
For what it's worth here's my story. I worked at home for 8 yrs, then neighboring states doing outage & new construction. I could drive home in less that a day if necessary, and due to deaths, accidents, etc. it was.

Then I worked 10 yrs w/company that flew you to jobs mostly in the USA but many overseas jobs too. Turn too many jobs down and you loose your position as a "key employee' or you will be punished with too much time off and the sorry jobs. I really enjoyed the work we did, the company and most of the places we worked. My family occasionally traveled w/me in the summer and lived in England for 3 months. Without the job that would not have happened. I'm grateful for the opportunities it afforded me and my family. But... I missed way too much of my family and did not see the signs of damage or I didn't want to see the signs until it was too late. Your wife may or may not resent you for not being there; same with your kids if you have any. If I had stayed on the road I am sure that my relationship with my children would not be as good as it is today and maybe divorced as well. It's been 10 yrs since I have traveled (aside from some minor traveling) and all is well w/kids and wife. I got off the road when kids became teenagers. I knew guys that had no family problems due to their traveling. But the norm was trouble and divorce.
Like bigk said it is like a drug. I still look at and have opportunities elsewhere but with one child at home and young grandchildren I doubt I travel again. If work holds up I shouldn't have to travel but if I have to I will.
I'm afraid there is no absolute right or wrong, yes or no answer for your question only stories. That is mine and I'm sticking to it.
As I'm typing this my oldest daughter called me(the one most affected by my traveling) and said her wedding ring was just stolen at a nail salon in a local mall. I'm glad I'm home and can be here for her.

Sorry if that was too much information.
Good luck with your decision.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / contract work questions