Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / ductility
- - By hank6677 Date 01-28-2008 05:23
MY name is jeremy and i'm in school at renton tech college and i have to do a report on ductility. I was just wondering if anyone can give me ref for my projet or any good info. thanks for your help. please send any info to hank6677@comcast.net
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-28-2008 15:56
Hello Jeremy, welcome to the forum. Won't Dave or Rick give you the answers? Just kidding, if you go to the search function of the forum here and enter ductility it will likely link you to some of the conversations that have been discussed on that topic. Try that first and good luck on your report. Also work hard up there, they've got the ability to get you going right. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-28-2008 18:17
Dont forget other search engines.

Gerald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-28-2008 19:15
Hank,  errr... Jeremy

Also keep in mind that if you are required to site your sources or even produce in MLA format, that your library at the college is going to carry more validity than web sites...
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-28-2008 19:20
If you are at a college by all means use the library. Maybe use the internet to lookup items that refer to a written document.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-28-2008 22:30
Ductility is defined as the capability of metals to change their shape, or form, at room temperature without breaking.
Only metals are ductile. Ceramics are not, they break if you try to change their form.
Polymers (popularly called plastics), aren't either. When released after changing their form, they tend to return to their original form.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-30-2008 01:40
Be careful in writing your report not to confuse malleability with ductility.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Flash Date 02-02-2008 06:59
This maybe a good start

http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/ductility.htm
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-02-2008 21:11
Al,
the web-site text mentioned by Flash defines ductility as "the ability of material to withstand plastic deformation without rupture", which confirms what I've said above.
Respectfully
Giovanni s. Crisi
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-03-2008 04:49
I got this from an on-line dictionary

Main Entry: mal·lea·ble 
Pronunciation: \ˈma-lē-ə-bəl, ˈmal-yə-bəl, ˈma-lə-bəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English malliable, from Medieval Latin malleabilis, from malleare to hammer, from Latin malleus hammer -- more at maul
Date: 14th century
1: capable of being extended or shaped by beating with a hammer or by the pressure of rollers
2 a: capable of being altered or controlled by outside forces or influences b: having a capacity for adaptive change
synonyms see plastic
-- mal·lea·bil·i·ty  \ˌma-lē-ə-ˈbi-lə-tē, ˌmal-yə-, ˌma-lə-\ noun

Another good description of malleability can be found at http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/malleability.htm (same source as Flash)

I hear many people use the two terms interchangably. The difference as I understand it is that ductility is associated with tensile loads whereas malleability is associated with compressive loads. I only mention the difference so that the fellow asking the question in this thread understand that there is a difference between the two terms.

By the way, how's your summer going my friend? It won't be long before spring arrives in the upper half of the globe once again. Winters nearly half over! It amazes me how the sun can be so bright and yet the temperature so darn cool!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-08-2008 18:57
Al,
first of all, congratulations for the excellent lesson you've given us (or at least me) on the origin of the word "malleable".
Secondly, summer is rather unusual this year on the south of Brazil (downwards from Rio de Janeiro). In fact, it's cooler than usual.
Here at Sao Paulo city, where I live, daily temperatures range from 18 ºC to 28 - 30 ºC, with a maximum, from time to time, of 32 ºC (you translate into ºF).
Usual daily summer temperatures in Sao Paulo range from 24 ºC early in the morning to 34 - 36 ºC at noon.
In the north of Brazil (upwards from Rio de Janeiro) things go as they've always gone. 
Giovanni S. Crisi

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-08-2008 22:51
Hello Giovanni;

This is the time of year that I get to play with my bottled water. I never know what I'm going to encounter on the various job sites I visit, so it is a good idea to have some drinking water if for no other reason that to wash my hands after completing the work.

Anyway, it always fascinates me to take a bottle of water that has been in the van over night when the temperature dips down to 29 degrees F or so and give the bottle a quick shake. The ice crystals instantly form as soon as the supercooled water is aggitated. "Instant Ice!"

The other day it was in the low 60's and tomorrow the temperature with the wind chill is forcast to be in the single digits. You have to love it!

I was reading one of the exchanges between Henry and some of the other fellows and discovered there is a "Metallurgy" thread. I guess it pays to keep up to date by reading all the posts.

I hope you enjoy your summer. I know I will enjoy ours when it returns.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / ductility