Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 brushes
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-11-2008 00:43
How can you tell if there bad I mean when there worn to nothing or what? I'm ripping this thing down next weekend and wanted to see what I needed to order. I know I need to order a new armature bearing and should I get it direct from lincoln because i don't want some cheapo off brand one made in china? I want to completely sandblast the frame and body and all but I have read here if you take the fine tuner reostat off well you are going to have to cut the adjusting knob to get it off. Can I somehow reuse the little adjusting knob or will I have to order new ones from someone? Can you all tell me like what and where exactly is the rack I don't want to mess with this and screw it up is this the brushes??? Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By millerman (**) Date 02-11-2008 00:50
call kay a t bills welderrepair  in ok. 4052324799  they can help all they carry is quality if brushes are worn down u will see it the rack is the piece that holds the brushn  holders you loosen and turn to adj. but i would not  mark with pin punch to put back in same spot it should be marked from lincoln all ready

mac
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-11-2008 01:27
I'll have to look at it better and hopefully it is marked god I really don't want to screw this up
thanks
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-11-2008 02:31
leave the rack alone the brushes have thier own arms 2 brushes in each arm if they are not worn out no need to change them they are considered work when they are within 1/4'' of the wire thast bolts to the arm
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-11-2008 04:04
Thanks Shad then yeah I guess the brushes are like brand new if they can be worn down that much so I guess I can leave the brush holders alone then which is also called the rack? and just take the brushes out and the exciter should still be able to slide out correct?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-11-2008 04:14
the rack is loacted on the main armiture it has 4 brush holders with 2 brushes in each holder. the exciter is in the front and only has 1 brush on each side yes take them out loosen the nut and the excite slides off the shaft which is part of the main armiture you are in for a job if you've never done 1 before took me 2 days to split my 1st 1 and a week to put it back together good luck
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-11-2008 04:25
oh ok so the rack is further in it isn't those two little brushes there when you take the cone off in the front. yeah I know it will probally take a few days to take it apart. I'd be happy if I could start Friday after work and maybe have it apart by Sunday. I pulled just the cone off today to take a peek and after you get the two brushes off I see there are two coils that surround the exciter I'm assuming that comes out as well but yeah Shad I bet it will be very interesting. Hey Shad what about torque specs? like what is the torque spec for the main armature nut there to get the exciter off I'd like to torque it to spec when I assemble it all.Thanks

Chris
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-11-2008 04:42
i dunno you'll have to get with kaye on that i just got as tight as i could and called it good hell it still runs today so i guess i did good i have a book on the motor it's in pdf format send me ur email addy and i'll send it to ya
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-11-2008 13:50 Edited 02-11-2008 14:12
Chris-
When your brushes are 1/2 life its good to change them. There are 2 sizes of bearings that go on the SA200's take these bearing numbers to a local dist and check size, older models took a wide and larger OD bearing, NTN6308ZZ. The newer models take a smaller one, NTN6208ZZ or KOY6208ZZ.

Brush dimensions when new:
T2687 1/2" thick, 1-1/2" wide, 1-1/2" long (generator brushes)
T6968 3/8" thick, 5/8" wide, 1-1/4" long (exciter brushes)

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE MAIN GENERATOR BRUSH HOLDER (rack) FROM THE EXCITER BRACKET. AND I WOULD ADVISE YOU DO NOT. These 2 pieces will come off together. Once you take the cables from the generator housing loose from the brush holder (rack) the exciter bracket AND brushholder (rack) will come off together.

Leave the exciter coils attached inside the exciter housing. As far as torque specs on welder end, tighten it til it bottoms out, then bend the edge of the washer over on the nut to hold it in place.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-12-2008 01:19
thanks Kaye
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 brushes