Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / How would you deal with this?
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-05-2008 03:39
They are getting fixed right now, but they did haul them to another site to fix them, so i may not  know if they just added more weld or fixed them right!
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 02-06-2008 03:37 Edited 02-06-2008 03:44
Every contractor has an insurance company who is liable for death or injury.  If it's as bad as you think it is, they would be interested in your observations.  Better be damn sure if you decide to take this route.  Another possible way to go is OSHA and the governing body in your state that handles structural steel inspection.  If it's bribery, the Attorney General or District Attorney would be the people to contact.   
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-07-2008 22:43 Edited 02-07-2008 22:47
CTacker -- I am glad they are reworking the welds. I assume the building belongs to your company, and your company contracted out the work. That makes your company the "Owner". The owner has full power to reject workmanship that does not meet the contract. That essentially gives YOU THE POWER, working for the owner, to inspect and reject poor workmanship...... You should ask for all weldor certs, welding procedures and all MTRs for material added that go along with this job, it would be within your rights. 
(The actual list is long)
Also check to see if some of the welding would fall under AWS D14.1/D14.1M:2005 SPECIFIC...Where Requirements are presented for the design and fabrication of constructional steel weldments that are used in industrial and mill cranes, lifting devices and other material handling equipment.
Think about it.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-09-2008 06:36
Oh by the way your boss must be a fool!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-10-2008 05:33
Some people may think that,in fact sometimes i may think it also, but to the corporate office he turned a 15 mil company to over 89 mil in 3 years! but that is not what i came here to debate!
Parent - By JA (**) Date 02-11-2008 02:22
i just can't believe that work was done by journeyman union ironworkers.......
they wouldn't last 2 minutes here in L.A........

and wheres the welding forman on this job....?
Parent - By JA (**) Date 02-11-2008 02:26
i just can't believe that work was done by journeyman union ironworkers.......
they wouldn't last 2 minutes here in L.A.........and wheres the welding forman on this job .......?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-10-2008 15:47
Not to roil up the sediment and get the water muddy again:  I have seen crane booms, overhead crane bridges, rail support on columns, and etc. where the welds would frighten you to see them.

In one particular case, we were asked to examine a 10 ton overhead single beam bridge when it had been side loaded.  The operators had turned over a 15 ton rotor and it "got away from them".  Yep - that's right. 10 ton crane with a 15 ton load and they had been doing that routinely.  This time the bridge bent in the center so that now jammed the trolley in travel when it had a load on it.
The first thing I could see from the floor is that the beam had a 20 section spliced in the center of the bridge.  The crane had been built for a 60' span and the building was 80'.  So they had simply cut the bridge in the center and added in 20'.  I never did find out if an engineer had approved it. 

The owner had wanted us to heat straighten the beam, so I went up in a manlift with the maintenance manager to have a look. The welds didn't look good from the floor level and they looked worse as we got close.  At the splices, I could clearly see there was no weld on the outside of the bottom flange; just a few "goobers" flattened by grinding.  The lead from my mechanical pencil went in 3/4" deep - apparently the splices were made in position and the welder didn't feel comfortable making overhead welds.  From what I could tell, the web welds looked pretty good, so it seemed odd the vertical welds could be made but not the overhead welds.

The crane had been used in that state for about 15-20 years; routinely used to position heavy parts on multi-million dollar machines.  Even though the crane capacity was 10 tons, they had "load tested it and found it could handle 15 tons with no visible signs of damage" (10 tons was the manufacturer's original rating; don't forget that 20' was "spliced" in the middle.)

It is surprising to see just how much a weldment will actually hold, and for how long, when it has known defects.  Yet other times the disaster happens much more quickly.  That's why we call it "Russian Roulette".

Anyway, we declined the work and recommended they buy themselves a new crane.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2008 17:41
I would call your decision to walk away "sound".

Situation like yours occur all too often. The story is all too familiar. Someone in the shop figures the crane is over designed to begin with, so what's the harm in increasing the hook load? Someone on the shop floor figures they can "engineer" the modifications, "its done everyday or I saw it done at another shop" is the rational used to "OK" the modification. Then there is no inspection performed because "Johnny is our best welder and he knows what to do."

I was in one shop where an outside contractor was hired to move some heavy machinery to different locations on the shop floor. They needed to move a work bench out of the way so they hooked on to it with the overhead jib crane and proceeded to lift. They lifted the bench until the boom was bend downward at a 30 degree angle and rolled over to one side. Yup, the bench was bolted to the floor, but that didn't stop the person with the controller from trying. I couldn't believe the "whack job" didn't release the "button" until the boom and bent to that degree! He would have kept trying to lift the bench if one of the "shopmen" hadn't stopped him and told him to look up at the boom. Oops!

Catch you late - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-13-2008 09:37
AL -  I know that Johnny guy personally and I would recommend you shoot and UT all his work.   Because I think he is way better at shooting the s**t and tacking up somebody's deerstand then working to code.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2008 14:03 Edited 02-13-2008 14:35
I was thinking more along the line of shooting Johnny. :)

I understand he's most familiar with FC-2002 and does most of his work to it rather than D1.1 or D1.5. It's comforting to think that he at least meets that welding standard. Seems like a lot of companies are deferring to FC-2002 instead of the old "commercial quality" they used to abide by.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-14-2008 16:37
You have done the right thing. EXPOSURE!! Also in the future, even if you are not signing for it, documentation is everything and CWI is also CYA, document it to cover your ***.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-14-2008 18:20
Man, I can't believe thats union labor on those beams.  Somebody needs to get an a$$ chewing and then sit the bench for awhile to think about what he did and could of done. That's just sad.
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-14-2008 18:46
I Agree, once you as an inspector see something like that in progress you can't just ignore it. If an off duty Police Officer witnessed a 7/11 robbery in progress he has the (legal) obligation to act. So do you, report it, and document it even if you don't directly interfere. Always CYA
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / How would you deal with this?
1 2 Previous Next