Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / suitecase
- - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-09-2008 02:47
i am trying to use a suite case with my shorthood.should it be on cc or cv mode and should i be running fluxcore wire on reverse polarity.
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 02-09-2008 03:28
Run it on CC.  What wire are you wanting to run, that will determine what polarity, Gas or No Gas.  John
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-09-2008 04:44
it is fluxcore wire no gas.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-09-2008 03:49
Most FCAW self shielded wires run on DCEN (not all) and Most FCAW wires work best on Constant Voltage CV. Go to Lincoln Electric's site to view different self shielded wires and their specific parameters. If the setting is on CC the ESO will be touchy due to the voltage varying. CC will work but follow the wire manufactures recommendations.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/consumableseries.aspx?browse=104|1212|

FCAW Gas Shielded wires run on DCEP and work on Constant Voltage CV. Go to Lincoln Electric's site to view different gas shielded wires and there specific parameters.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/consumableseries.aspx?browse=104|1099|
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-09-2008 04:51
thanks for the response,its kinda touchy though,im in cv mode with the polarity reversed it seems to be working.the other way i was getting alot of buckshot.
Parent - - By Flash Date 02-09-2008 05:28
Hi 52lincoln
CV mode with DC electrode negative with most self shielded wires
they tend to be voltage sensitive they tend to like about 19 to 21 volts for the 1.7mm wire and 20-25mm stick out
have fun
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-10-2008 01:03 Edited 02-10-2008 01:08
man im having a hard time with my heat,and wire speed.just cant get it right.any advise.im welding with a sa 200.im using .035 fluxcore wire
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-10-2008 01:11
I have kinda wonderd this as well do the suitcase welders work pretty good with these machines?
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-10-2008 01:51 Edited 02-10-2008 01:58
i have a SA250d with the cv adapter and i commonly use it with my ln-25 to run .072 nr232 in all positions on heavy plate and structural pipe and its as good as anything else ive used.
with this size wire i am close to the duty cycle of my machine, but ive havent tripped the overload yet
I think your setup is capable of running wire very well, what are your voltage and speed settings?, and what type of .o35 ssflux core are you running?
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-11-2008 01:42
its called ten gauge by harris.my speed is on low at 60.temp is on 150/50.it is also set on cv mode.i cant make it look good whats the deal?
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-11-2008 04:48
I have to ask this question.  Does your welder have a CV circuit?  Could you be running your wire feeder with the feeder switch set to CV but your power supply (welder) is suppling CC power? 
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-11-2008 04:55
dont no.i dont even no what all that means.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-11-2008 04:56
it is a 52 shorthood lincoln if that helps
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-11-2008 05:08
it has the cv adapter installed on it right?,  its a rectancular metal box with wires approx 20"x16"x3", inside the welder
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-11-2008 05:21
it dont have nothing like that on it
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-11-2008 14:08
Well then.  Turn the switch on your wire feeder to CC.  Switch you welding leads opposite to what they'd be for welding stick for "Ten Guage" flux core wire.  You're good to go but you'll have to play with your heat settings until you get it right.  The usable heat range will be very narrow but your result should be okay.  Your result will never be as good as it would be if you had a CV curcuit installed on our welder but you can get by.  For your next spool of wire try Lincoln NR211 wire (my opinion)  Hope this helps.

What kind of suitcase?
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-11-2008 15:47 Edited 02-13-2008 05:31
hes right no wires run their best on cc, but some like nr-211 can be "ok"
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-13-2008 02:23
what is the cv adapter?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-13-2008 04:26
Is a sweet case the opposite of a sour case?
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-13-2008 05:17
a constant voltage adaptor provides excatly that, constant voltage power for running wire
the older lincoln sa machines normally dont come with it, it is an option.

when you run your wire feeder on cc, it is actually varying the wire speed automaticly to compensate for the voltage varying as your stickout changes, and it works, kind of .
its not allowed for most wires on anything structural
i believe the lincoln part # for your machine is a   K-384 and its about 1000 bucks new
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-13-2008 06:54
Just a warning, NR211 has a D1.1 code limit of 1/2 inch (see table 3.1) or even less depending upon the wire's diameter (imposed by Lincoln) WITH NO IMPACTS. NR212 is also limited by Lincoln to 3/4 inch, again with no impacts. Just be careful what you use it on. (No Structural)

The old SA200 I believe were DC only Generators (check the power output at the 110v outlet if it says "DC only tools" you have one) with a flat slope i.e. open circuit 40 to 50 volts. New machines have 80 or so open circuit volts, which again effects slope. The welding machine's volt/ampere slope and inductance must be kept in check, also when you vary the Electrical Stick Out (tip to work distance) the inductance changes quickly. With a flat slope it will be touchy (varying voltage). With Constant Current the Amps will try to hold and the volts will vary (Short arc length low volts Long arc higher volts) and arc stability will be poor.
I have not used the converter the others have talked about.
Parent - - By Flash Date 02-13-2008 10:25
Hi James
I have seen and heard of the thickness limitation of the wire you mention
I beleive it has to do with alloying element build up in the weld metal eg. aluminium
can you add to this
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-13-2008 14:21 Edited 02-13-2008 23:11
Thanks-------------
Whats "R"??
The only add is snapped in half weldor test samples done with NR212 .045 @ 150 WFS 19.5 Volts 175 Amps (5/8" & 1"  B-U2a side bends, 3 & 4 G 180 preheat no post heat but ambient was 10 degrees at the time.) "Souvenirs"
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-14-2008 01:59
man i will tell you guys im lost.so how would be the best way to use this welding machine without an cv adapter.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-14-2008 03:30
Hello 52lincoln, all of the folks that have responded to your post have been spot on with the many suggestions and information that they have provided you with. Your machine and the suitcase wire feeder that you have will run any type of wire with one major difference from "regular" wire machines, the lack of CV output. The reason that your suitcase feeder unit has a selector switch for CV/CC is it's ability to be used with basically any type of welding power source. In your case the SA200 that you have is only capable of CC output, as was explained by one of the other fellows, that means that as the wire stick-out varies the feeder has to be able to sense the minute voltage changes and vary the wire speed to keep from stubbing out the wire or burning the wire back up to the contact tip and fusing it there. This means that if you use your combination you need to keep the selector switch on the suitcase feeder set to the CC position. The wire that you stated that you are using is indeed a gasless fluxcored wire that requires it to be run on straight polarity according to the manufacturer specifications, it also suggests to operate the wire between 110 and 130 amps @ between 16 to 18 volts. It does not say whether this wire is suited for multi-pass welds or give application weld size limitations, but does say that it is made for welding thin gauge steel and galvanized steel. You can certainly do a rough setting for the amperage range that is suggested for this wire by using the range and fine adjust dials on the welder, the voltage ranges on the other hand would have to be set by basically varying the wirefeed speed on the suitcase feeder unit.
     It was also mentioned by one of the other posters that if you are using CC output that you can't use this combination to weld on structural applications, that is partially true. Without doing a WPQR you can't use this combination, but if you qualify the procedure by testing you can in fact use this combination providing that it meets the necessary criteria. Although in today's environment siesmic requirements would likely not allow you to use this grade of wire anyway for that purpose. I believe NR232, NR233, ESAB8, and likely others that I'm not familiar with but that have the seismic requirements will meet these requirements.
     If you have non-critical types of welds that you would like to do with this wire, one of the other posters had the best suggestion, play around with the settings until you get the best results aesthetically and performance wise. When a wire such as this is operating close to it's optimum, the finished bead will be shiny and bright after the slag removal and the slag will likely also provide full coverage over the weld bead and will be removed without excessive beating. Good luck and don't give up without a fight. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By patg (**) Date 02-14-2008 03:34
ive got a 63 redface all original and i hook my ln25 up just like stick-rod / + to + / -to- / for carbon mig/fcaw run it on cc mode. for .045 fluxcore i was on 200 range and about 60
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-14-2008 04:35
Vern, Go ahead and run that thing on CC.   For most of the welding you do you probably don't have to worry about codes or all that other stuff.  Just weld with it man!  A couple of pointers though... If you're running an LN 25 lincoln suitcase, open it up and look around until you find the CC/CV switch.  Ensure that it's set to CC.  I'm wondering if your gun has a gas hood on it.  If it does and you're welding with self shielding flux core wire then pull the hood off.  Remember to switch your leads opposite to what they'd be for stick welding if you're using self shielding flux core wire.  Try different heat settings, stick out and wire speed.  You'll get it.  I used an outfit like that for quite a while and did just fine.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-14-2008 04:39
James,  Having read your post I gotta ask you ... Do you really think you were helping the guy out or are ya just showin' us all how smart you are?
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-14-2008 04:47
i wasnt trying to be a smartass i just dont no what all that stuff means.i didnt think about taking the hood off of it.i guess if you aint using gas you dont need it.thanks everybody for the help.ill quit beating a dead horse.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-14-2008 04:55
Vern, I made two postings there one for you and one for James.  Please don't missunderstand.  Keep at it 'till you get it.  It does work and it works pretty fine.

And tell us how you made out!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / suitecase