Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal arc Predator TA-10/270/H welder
- - By Brunan Date 02-09-2008 15:20
I am looking to purchase a new welder and am looking at either the Miller Bobcat or the Thermal Arc Predator TA-10/270H welders. I am looking for anyone who has the Thermal Arc and can give me their input as to if it's a good machine. I have looked at some info about it and it seems to be a good machine with some nice features. I do heavy equipment repairs and pipe welding. Thanks for any help anyone can give me

my e-mail is A41willys@aol.com
Thanks
Bruce
Parent - By jsimwelding Date 02-09-2008 16:30
Depending on your budget I would go with a Ranger 250 or 305G. They are a great machine for pipe and will do almost anything. Look on Ebay as there is always lots for sale for a good deal. A newer  Trailblazer (301,302) will be a good machine to but Ive never used one.When I was building rigs and such a guy had the Thermal Arc and he was limited to what he could do and so wasnt very happy with it. I currenty have a 305G and wouldnt trade it for anything, well maybe a 300D or old Red Face, but this way I dont need a 1 ton truck.Just my 2 cents
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-10-2008 05:11
Look in the "Technical" section for a thread "Welder will not weld". Read that and make Your decision. Miller Bobcat and the low end Lincoln Rangers are good basic dependable machines, Trailblazers and the top end Rangers have more features.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-10-2008 16:29
I have a TA-10-270 also. I would suggest a Trailblazer 302 over the TA or Bobcat. A better machine and not too much more expensive. Like cars, computers, etc., not every model is the same. My Th Arc welds OK but does not weld 6010 root pass on pipe as well as the others. I have only used this TA so maybe other machines have a better arc characteristic. The thing I did not like about it was the auxiliary power would not run at 100% unless you turn the amperage control to 100%. So if you are welding pipe and need to grind your auxiliary power is slaved to your welding amps. i.e. 60% or so. I do not know if the new models are like this. My TA is about 4 yrs old. We have 3 new  Trailblazer 302's and all welders are satisfied with them. Our six year old Trailblazer 250G still welds better than the new ones.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-10-2008 19:07
Brunan go over to the miller motorsports forum and you will see lots of threads of these miller machines that are having the computers go out in them and they can't handle the cold. I'm not totally against miller h*ll I use there tig machines everyday at work I think there awsome tig welders. I think I'm starting to be more like some of the old timers no affence guys but these old lincolns with very few eletrical components to break I think is the way to go from what I have read. I have not tried welding with a ranger but I would go to every welding store and ask to try all there welders out wheather it be miller bobcat or lincoln ranger try them all out and see what works best for you.

Chris
Parent - - By Brunan Date 02-10-2008 22:09
Hi Chris,
Thanks a lot for your input.......I think what you suggest is what I'll do.....I also agree with your comment on the computers in new welders.....That's why you see a lot of old Lincolns still out there running....you won't see these newer machines out now running 10 years from now.
Thanks again

Bruce
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-11-2008 05:19
I own both a Thermal Arc as you describe and a Ranger 250 as the smaller lighter machines that I use in the engine driven variety.  I do not weld pipe other than pipe columns which does not really count in the usage I understand you are choosing.  I have used the Thermal more as a really good generator as the power output is extremely clean as compared to the vintage of Ranger 250 I own.  It was also very useful in AC tig welding of aluminum in the field when portable work was encountered.  However, the architecture and the electronics of this machine are by no means comparable to the Ranger 250 for use in more extreme enviroments.  The open portions of the machine around the engine are problematic in inclement weather and when it snows then you have got a real problem as the governor linkage  for the Honda engine, as used in this powerplant, freezes up quite easily.  Not when running mind you but rather in transport to the job.  Mine stays covered continually as a result of this problem.  The Thermal Arc is quieter than the Lincoln in direct comparison at welding loads.  But the overall ease of use is much better with the Lincoln by far.  I have run multiple air cooled Miller welding powerplants and for some reason at the elevation we work at they do not do as well as either the Lincoln or the Thermal Arc. Both the Lincoln and the Thermal arc are very smooth when using FCAW process in the field.  But the fact that the welding current control is more of direct throttle positioner on the Thermal ARC machine is a major bummer as you are required to continually adjust the amperage/throttle control up and down while switching between welding and grinding.  If you do not adjust the throttle up then the grinder runs at reduced power which is annoying. IMHO if Lincoln would build a fully featured machine like the Ranger 250 and 305 with AC output option like their GXT model and it was as clean in auxillary generating power as the Thermal Arc; they would corner the market for a versatile air cooled light weight machine.  The architecture and the electronics such as wiring connections, switches, etc are just that good on the Lincoln.  The enclosed case is awesome for extreme enviroments and the Kohler engine is no disadvantage to the Honda in actual practice.  Funny now that I think about it my Ranger 250 will be six years old next month and it still as the original battery in it.
While a bit more money for sure, I would say if your primary requirement is DC welding power and auxillary generator use for grinders and the like (not sophisticated electronics) then the Lincoln Ranger 250 would very tough to beat. Oh yeh!  despite what the brochures say, my Lincoln V-205 TIG machine will not run at or near max output in AC Tig welding mode when powered by the Ranger 250.  I even went so far as to test it again on a brand new Ranger 250 in the same welding conditions.  Same result.  Apparently the power output on the auxillary generator side of the machine is not clean enough for the Lincoln V-205 inverter.  A bit of a bummer for sure at least in my work.  Hope this helps you!
Parent - - By Brunan Date 02-11-2008 13:09
Thanks for the reply....you gave me much good info to think about......I will give the Ranger another look I hjavbe another small welder that you the amps are controlled by the engine throttle which makes setting the amps a guessing game and I don't want another machine like that.

Thanks again for your time/input

Bruce
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-12-2008 04:27
Bruce, one other thing to consider is do you have a technician/mechanic in your area that is authorized to service the machine that you decide to buy? In many areas this is a non-issue. Where I live, our local welding supply services Miller machines. A very good tech. Does not work on Lincoln and will soon work on Thermal Arcs. If I used those and needed repairs I would have to take the machines 60 miles or more compared to 20 miles at the local shop.

That is the main reason I use primarily Millers. Plus I think they are very comparable to any other brand. The exception would be pipe liners overwhelmingly prefer SA-200. I wish there were lots of SA-200s around here but you just don't see them.
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 02-12-2008 04:36
I have a thermal arc welding machine.  It will not burn a 6010 rod.
I called the manufacture and he said that's a common problem with those machines.
dh
Parent - By Brunan Date 02-12-2008 05:34
Since the bulk of my work is pipe welding....that could cause a problem...Thanks for the heads up.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 02-13-2008 00:20
You are correct. It does a poor job on 6010 root pass. You have to fight it in there.
Parent - By Brunan Date 02-12-2008 05:32
Tim,
Thanks.... Something I didn't consider.  Have 3 Miller guys close by.

Bruce
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-14-2008 14:23
I owned a thermal arc and it lasted about 200 hours before the control board went out. My dad had the same machine and same problem. Every repair shop you ever go to has a thermal arc scrap pile. In my opinion they are the worst domestic machine out there.
Parent - By Brunan Date 02-14-2008 22:08
Thanks for the reply. The Thermal Arc isn't sounding like that good of a machine by the reply's I have been getting
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal arc Predator TA-10/270/H welder