Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Live chat
- - By ross (***) Date 02-08-2008 21:56
Try the new chat option on the blue menu above. (Registered users only.)

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-11-2008 14:50
Ross, you know what would make the chat function 10000% better would be being able to see if anyone was "in the room"!!!  Just a thought.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 02-11-2008 15:05
Can't do that. Too bad. Not a very fancy chat function, I'm afraid. Maybe people should meet there by appointment.

Ross
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 02-12-2008 14:08
OK, chat looks like a loser. Will take it back down, I guess.

Ross
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 17:17
What if you came to chat and everybody had already left.
Was it something i said?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-12-2008 17:21
Well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 18:13
LMAO!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 18:22
Jeff, Maybe you should have showered and put on a little deodorant :-)
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-12-2008 18:36
Rats.  If you guys take it down, I'll have to go back to the chat room where I have my singles ad placed: Bitter, unsuccessful former underwear model with impressive collection of warning labels seeks bottlenose dolphin who likes extra prickly cactus juice. Objective: Bizarre whippings and fashion consulting. If interested please send a photo of someone else. No mimes!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 19:28
John,
Now thats exactly why I frequent these chat rooms. So I don't have to do all that mess.
Besides, its not spring time yet.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 19:30
Bottlenose dolphin???
I don't even wanna know where that might lead.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-13-2008 02:24
i tried using it but nobody was home i was glad to see it but it was only there for a day as far as i know anyway you are the man and can do pretty much whatever you want
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-13-2008 05:20
Ross; if I might ask, why in the world can't we have a chatroom that shows if anyone is in the room???  I guess I'm just not getting it.  Without knowing someone is present we might as well be threading, as in our "regular" posts.  Live chat is a cool idea but not if we might be talking to blank space.  Bottle-nosed dolphins????? :-0
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-13-2008 08:25 Edited 02-13-2008 08:28
Ross-

In Ross's defense let me say unless you have ever worked as a webmaster....don't b**ch!!!!  You can suggest and ask but don't gripe.....its not as easily done as you think and it solely depends on the platforms you are given to work with.

If you have not given up on the chat feature...it is a good idea....I might be able to help you with some free scripts that would have the features being requested and be secure with the server platform you are using.  Just pm me some contact info and I can call you and discuss it.   I would love to be able to harrass...I mean converse with some of my compatriot's thru the site interface.  LOL

Best Regards
Tommy
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 02-13-2008 14:01
Here's where we stand with this:

1. It's easy to turn the chat feature back on like we had it.
2. We could also do it on a schedule, like if everybody wanted to chat every Thursday night or something, or if a group of us wanted to have a special online event.
3. Putting it on this time confirmed what we experienced last year when we had it up: that new users would go there first, post technical questions, and then have a bad opinion of the whole forum, even though they would have experienced great feedback from the community if they had just posted to the regular forum boards.
4. The software that runs the whole forum (see mwForum.org) doesn't have a good chat module (as you have seen) and there is no way we can make it do what it really needs (show if there's anybody in the room). We can wait until an improved version is released. (Remember when we didn't have the ability to post pictures? The software does improve over time.)
5. We could change the whole forum software to something that has a better chat function, but half the people wouldn't like it, we'd have login problems, and we would lose the history of more than 70,000 posts that helps make the forum so great.
6. We could add a separate chat server independent of the forum. That might require a separate password (although we might be able to get it to share the user database), but it would dilute and weaken the original forum audience ultimately, I bet.
7. We could use an outside service like Google Chat or AIM that has ads on it.

Comments?

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-13-2008 15:53
Well your right....

Using an outside utility and integrating into the forum pages is the easy part.....making one work with your database is the hard part.  There are some out there  http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Chat_Scripts/index.html  is a good place to start looking.   But for me grafting one onto an existing MySql database is a time consuming and usually frustrating endeavor..(my php skills ain't so hot).  There are some out there that are open enough to make work, but probably not worth it in the end....and I certainly don't see anything out there setup for this forum already.  Sorry for my eager response I had to sit for a bit and think about those long nights and empty coffee pots pouring over a few pages of code and going WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!   LOL

Best regards
Tommy
Parent - By ross (***) Date 02-13-2008 19:56
I don't want to do any customizations to the forum that will not be compatible with the next upgrade.

Ross
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Live chat