Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Syncrowave 180SD
- - By bjbmustang Date 02-12-2008 23:01
What is your opinion on this machine?  Downfalls, good points, needed accessories.  What do you think?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-12-2008 23:10
For steel it is a nice unit

For aluminum it lacks a water cooler
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-13-2008 07:02
As Lawrence mentioned no water cooler included....if you are going to work AL you will want a water cooled torch....  You can get by with just making up some simple plumbing and using the building water supply.....this is not a lot of water just a light (weak) stream out of a 1/4" hose.  I have seen car radiators, box fans and small electric pumps built and used that cost far less then the Miller cooling unit(or anyone else's) equivalent that work just as well or better.

In my experience all the syncrowave machines have good solid performance and reliability of millers other shop power supplies.  The balance control feature with squarewave makes for a treat when welding aluminum in comparison to a standard sine wave machine.  The arc start features are also a big big plus, preflow gas, softstart etc, mainly because they actually work as advertised.  For light all around TIG  its an excellent choice.  They are not my favorite when it comes to stick but they work fine and are competent.   I would assume they will run wire with the same competence but I never used them for a mig powersource. 

If its at the price you want and it has the features you need....you won't be disappointed its a good machine.

Tommy
Parent - - By bjbmustang Date 02-13-2008 18:04
Included in the purchase of the welder was a coolmate 3 that isnt attached.  Is thre something I need to get to hook it up to the 180 SD?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-13-2008 20:57
Nope

All you need will be a water cooled torch.

Good setup!
Parent - - By bjbmustang Date 02-13-2008 21:11
In the box with the cooler is the line and torch already attached.  I didn't take it out of the box yet so I am jsut not sure if it plugs right in or not.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-13-2008 22:18
Both the welder and coolmate have owners manuals that will provide step by step directions.

Synchrowave 180
http://millerwelds.com/om/o360j_mil.pdf

Coolmate 3
http://millerwelds.com/om/o628h_mil.pdf

There may be one brass fitting to attach to the electrode lug.. If there is it, will be mentioned in the maunal and a part number will be provided... Easy to get at any supply store... If your unit is used you may already have the thing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Syncrowave 180SD