Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Here I go........
- - By flamin (**) Date 02-13-2008 17:44 Edited 02-13-2008 17:47
Hello everyone, new guy here. I've been lurking in the forums that past few days reading up, great forum BTW, I look forward to learning what you have to offer. I've recently been nominated to be the CWI at my place of employment. Which I don't mind, since I really enjoy the subject.
   Just a little background, I have a AAS degree in welding, with about 10 years of on the job welding experience. I haven't actually welded much for the past 7 years, since becoming the shop foreman of a machine shop, other than a few work fixtures here and there. I've been signed up to attend the CWI seminar and test in May here in Albuquerque. So right now I'm in the process of compiling the literature I need to study. I have a copy of D1.1 (from my employer), and what I've gathered so far from reading though the forums, is that the AWS CM (Certification Manual) would be good to study for the D1.1 test. Is that correct?. And I also gather that the WIT-T book is issued at the seminar. Should I be studying both the AWS CM and the WIT-T? Or it the Welding Certification Manual adequate? The reason I ask is, I'm not sure if my employer will dish out the cash for both.
   Next, what things do I need to take to the seminar and testing with me? Do I need fillet weld gages, or any other tools for that matter? Also, what is a good quality brand of fillet weld gages? I prefer to get quality tools right away, rather than buying something cheap and having to replace it anyway.
   BTW, I also have a copy of AWS Welding Science & Technology volume 1, would this book be a beneficial study guide in any way?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to ask, but for now if I could get some input from you guys/gals, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jason
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2008 18:14
You will not be required to bring any tools to the seminar or to the examination. As a matter of information, you have to use the tools provided at the exam site for the part B examination.

Bring a calculator and practice with it before you get to the seminar. Nothing worst than to have your batteries go dead or be unfamiliar with a new calculator at the examination.

The Welding Inspection Handbook is a good reference you can study before the examination. You can purchase A2.4 (welding symbols) and the Guide to Nondestructive Testing of Welds, Guide to Visual Examination of Welds, QC1 and B5.1 Qualification and Certification of WI, and last but by no means least, is a copy of A3.0 (terms and definitions). All are good references to have in your library.

They will give you plenty of reading material at the seminar, so it would be good to study the references I listed before going to the seminar.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 02-13-2008 18:16
Flamin

I would use the API-1104 for the code portion of the test.It's a very small code,and you can easily find the information you need.I took the test in '95 and most of the guys used API-1104,and passed,the ones that used D-1  didn't finish in time.Also,you won't need any inspection gages to take to the test,they will provide everything you need.If you need to bone-up on your visual inspection skills,they usually give a visual inspection workshop the day before the test.It's a tough test,but if you study hard,you'll be okay,and be sure you don't leave any questions blank.

Good luck,
Ringo
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-13-2008 18:52
Take the exam you are more familiar with, I took my exam to D1.1 and finished in time, API code book is small, but so is D1.1 if you were to eliminate the Prequalified figures and annexes and commentaries. and D1.1 is alot easier to navigate through.
Don't take API based only on the fact its a small book.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-13-2008 18:43
Experience goes a long way towards being a good inspector. Learning on the job takes lots of time plus trial and error. The seminar does give you a well rounded knowledge beyond "passing the test" as well as what to expect during the test.

If you wish to self study, the "Body of Knowledge" list along with AWS recommended study books can be found at http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/cert0570.pdf

I would not buy any books that will be given out as part of the seminar, but do study before you go. There is a lot of great information to crammed down during the seminar week. You might buy "AWS CM:2000" Certification manual for welding inspectors for $135 (members) and review the different section in the code you wish to test on. There is no time the check the index for every question. The CWI brochure is at:
http://www.aws.org/education/cwi_brochure08.pdf
You can also get great books at the Lincoln Foundation such as "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" which I consider a must at $25.00. It has sections on welding performance tests and inspection. https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/foundation/store.asp?PID=16&cat=8

You should already have the basic inspector measuring tools, fillet gauge, bridge cam gauge or reinforcement gauge, undercut gauge, a thickness gauge (measuring tensile specimens) 6 inch rule etc. (GAL or NASCO) I don't have a list in front of me now. These tools as needed for the test will be provided during the seminar and test.
Good Luck
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-13-2008 19:04
Thanks guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me this information, as I'm sure you all have answered my same question over and over. I am going to start looking into it right now.

Cheers
Jason
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2008 20:11
API 1104 is no longer a smaller easier test. They have expanded it. And the time spend on 1104 subject matter is generally very limited.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-13-2008 20:55 Edited 02-13-2008 20:58
The AWS welding Handbook Volume one contains all of the subject matter on the test. It may or may not have all of the detailed information. I used CM 80 and the welding Handbook Volume 1 for self study. I never saw the WIT text until after I certified.

I read the Welding Handbook with no specific order other than random reading and to look up questions I got wrong when taking the sample tests in CM 80. (Certification Manual For Welding Inspectors-1980)
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 02-13-2008 23:40
I've got brand new/never used copies of 3.0, 2.4, and VIW-M. I'll sell all three for 185.00.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-14-2008 02:26
I believe the AWS publishes redundantly to some degree, and the CM and the WIT are very similar. I also tested recently on the 'new and improved' API 1104 and I believe, having attended under a platinum pak and therefore exposed to both D1.1 and API 1104 that the 1104 test may have been made more difficult than before, but the material is nevertheless easier to grok than D1.1 by a long shot. Ironic that pipe is harder to weld, but pipe code is easier to grasp. In a way, it makes sense. There's so much more engineering in structural. Study your code and either the WIT or CM and you'll do fine. Where do you work in ABQ, if I may ask, from down here in Durango? And do you watch 'Breaking Bad' on AMC? What a great show.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-16-2008 15:10
Flamin, I took my test at Hobart Institute of Welding Tech. in Troy OH. I tested to D1.1 and I did this due to the fact that I was inspecting structural. I did not realize how much of a benifit this was until I had been inspecting for a few years after becoming certified. Now what I am about to say obviously will not apply to every inspector, and no offense is meant to anyone or any trade. What your long term goal as an inspector is should determine what code you test to. If you plan on inspecting pipeing and nothing else then 1104 is probably the way to go. Not because it is easier, just not as detailed of a code. If you plan on delving into other lines of inspection then it is my personal opinion that you should test to D1.1 You will get alot more education in how to use and interperat, excuse my spelling, codes in the future. I have worked side by side with inspectors on pipelines who tested to 1104 and in thier own field were clueless in the area of code interpretation. I have seen this in an alarming number of cases. Again, please nobody take offense to this, I feel that one will be a more well rounded and prepared for all areas of inspection by testing to D1.1 I personally am very glad now that I chose to do this. D1.1 is not that hard. I am by no means a rocket scientist, just a southern CO redneck welder who has learning capabilities and common sense. If I can do it you can to. But again it really depends on what your longterm goal in inspection is. Also one last comment, do not mark in your code book that you are going to test with. I believe, and I could be wrong, that it is alright to use tabs but not alright to mark or highlight the book you are going to test with.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-16-2008 16:04
Thanks jrw159 -

I think what I'm going to do, and I hope it's the right decision, is study CM:2000, I have a 1994 version of A2.4, and I also have the D1.1 book. Can anyone tell me if there is a drastic difference in A2.4-98 vs. 2.4-94?

I'm going to be dealing strictly with jobs that we fabricate at our shop, unless other opportunities open up, but I would say that 95% of our fab jobs are structural, and not so much pipe. So I think D1.1 it is.

Can someone please give me a practical example of how you would go about interpreting a code called out on a drawing. For example, there is a code on drawing (any code), and you want to find it in D1.1, what sort of specific things would I need to look for to interpret a code?? (sorry if this is a stupid Q)

Also, after thumbing through D1.1, I see that the first section of D1.1 is all codes, but what exactly is the annex section and commentary section. How does this all come together. I'm just trying to better my understanding of the book layout, so I can establish a study process.

Again thanks to everyone for you help. (and patience)

Jason
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-16-2008 16:11
Flamin, D1.1 is a code, 1104 is a code D1.6 is a code. So what you would be seeing is for example, "All welding to be done in accordance with AWS D1.1. structural steel" or "All welding to be done in accordance with AWS D8.8 automotive/light truck" Hope that explains it.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-16-2008 16:19
Also for your purpose of study material, A2.4-94 will suffice. Yes there is a difference between the two and once you are certified it is always best and most professional to have the latest revision of the material that applies to the task at hand, whatever that may turn out to be. Another thing to keep in mind is this, if you end up dealing with an ISO or IAS situation it will be required to have the latest revisions of all materials utilized.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-16-2008 16:27
Thanks again. The main reason I asked about A2.4-94, is because my employer has a copy of this already, which I could study now, and I believe that A2.4-99 is one of the books given out at the seminar. So I would end up getting an updated copy anyway.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-20-2008 06:50
flamin,
you CAN write in, hi-lite, tab your code book all you want...PROIR TO THE TEST!!! You are not allowed to write in the book DURING the test. I assume the AWS doesn't want some unscrupulous individual to spend their test time noting the questions and answers for others. And this is a good thing... Word of advice though, don't go overboard on the tabbing and marking up of your book or it will be more confusing than helpful. Footnotes are very important and I developed a color code system of hi-liting footnotes on tables and figures deemed important. All I did was just a dot of different colors on the character in the table, and then the same color on the corresponding character or number at the bottom on the footnote. This helped my thought process to 1) recognize the presence of the footnote and 2) be able to quickly glance to the bottom, see that color. Everybody has their own way of processing information though, the first two times I took the test (yes I have passed the test 3 times, 10 years apart) I did no tabbing, hi-liting etc. and did just fine. The marking of the code book did seem to reduce test day confusion, stress and save time.
Just some thoughts and tips on what works for me.  Hope it helps and Good luck to you
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-20-2008 13:26
Thanks for the tip Superflux.
Parent - - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 02-20-2008 16:23
And one more thing is don't try to read D1.1 like a book. Another guy from my company who took the test the same time I did, tried to do that and it made him more confused. What I suggest is ask your self a question like(if a welder did a test on 8" sch 80 pipe in the 5g position what positions would that welder be qualified in.) Then open the book and find the answer. And another thing is the index in the back can your best friend if you look for the right part of the question. For instance the question above if you look in the index for Positions it will tell you to go to one area, but that area won't help you. But if you look under Welder Qualification then position that will tell you to go to a totally diffrent area and that area will tell you what table to look under. The biggest thing I can bring up is pay attention in class you will learn alot their. And another thing is don't go out drinking Thursday night like I did it makes class really long. Good Luck
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-20-2008 16:47
    Thanks.......that is what I'm trying to figure out, the question you mentioned about the pipe in the 5g position, I'm looking for practical situations that I can look up information for, that actually has reason benind it.
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I read somewhere that the test doesn't deal much with the annex or commentary sections, is this true? I do plan on reading through it, but I don't want to spend too much time in those sections if I don't need to.

Jason
Parent - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 02-20-2008 17:52
If I remember right I don't beleave their were any questions from those area's. But then again I think their are 3 diffrent tests.

And their is one more very important thing pay attention to the foot notes under tables and Figures. And they do give you a practice test to do, do it, it is very helpful.

And the biggest thing on this test is relax. The other guy from my company who has a engineering degree, and has not welded much was freaking out at the begining of the week, and by the time of the test he was alittle more under control, but he passed so just pay attention in class, stay calm, do the practice test atleast once and tab your book out. You will do just fine.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 17:52
annexes a thru j are part of the code
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Here I go........