Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME or BS (British Standard) ??
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 01-31-2008 04:01
Dear All

I have been inspected Circular Pressure Vessel at Manufacture XXXX for Hydrostatic Test. When I have visited, this condition had been existing,the condition is :
- Design Calculation using British Code  PD 5500, (except nozzle , used ASME VIII UG-37)
- NDE Based on ASME Code
- WPS/PQR based on ASME Code
- Welder qualification based on ASME Code

I have been trainined and certified by my Government as Authorized Inspector with written practices of pressure vessel based on American Code. Of course, in my head is ASME VIII, so I have used British Standard PD 5500 just for reviewed calculation...because I am very confused.

What would you do, if you find this condition??? 

Thank...Thank...and Thank
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-31-2008 04:25
Go with the more stringent requirement.
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 01-31-2008 04:34
Dear Expert

Of course I want to go with more stringent Code....But I am more familiar with ASME Code, avoid mistaken Interpretation.
My other question is....Is that legall???

Thank
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-31-2008 06:31
I try whether my two cents rupiah can help.

1. follow your govt regulation on approved code to use.
2. if both ASME & BS std are approved as per statutory requirement, then the code to follow should be based on Vessel's design data or as stated in drawing specfication
3. If still not sure, ask the PV Engineer / designer of vessel.
4. If still cannot find the answer, then you can tell the owner-user not to operate the vessel because they couldn't provide you the information you need.

This solves your problem.

Regards

Joey
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 01-31-2008 07:13
Okey Joey for your 2 cents "RUPIAH".... :)  I Think 2 cents rupiahs is not existing againt..

I will try to follow your steps.

Thanks
Parent - By bclawrence Date 02-13-2008 19:00
Where will the vessel be used? That seems to be the deciding factor here.
The British Code is more stringent due to the fact that their government regulates everything. If the vessel was built to the British Code, but is being used were ASME Codes are excepted there should be no problem with the the data you have.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME or BS (British Standard) ??