Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ductile Iron to ASTM A36?
- - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-13-2008 19:47
Does anyone have an idea of where I should start for fillers on this problem?  I have a catalog page with some heavy duty screw jacks on it.  My Engineer tells me that previous attempts failed, but I suspect they weren't very careful with filler selection.  Any help would be great, thank you.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-13-2008 20:29
Most manufacturers make filler metal intended to weld ductile iron, and they should be able to recommend something.  Some of the AWS classifications for electrodes are ENiFe-CI and ENiFe-CI-A.  In general though, if a electrode is capable of welding the cast iron, it is also capable of welding the cast iron to steel.  However, as you probably know, most electrodes used for welding steel are completely unsuitable for welding cast iron.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-13-2008 20:48
309L stainless with some preheat will weld the to together with no probs.  I've never done it without preheat, but no preheat might work to.  I've also Never did any mechanical tests on the two either.  What kind of application and enviroment are you looking at here?
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-13-2008 22:03
Stainless like Kix mentioned work good sometimes, but sometimes not.  The Cr in stainless will bond with the carbon in the cast and form chrome carbides which will make for a brittle weld.  Again, this is only on some cast alloys.  I have always used Ni alloys (50-99% as needed) as Roberts mentioned, and also used pre-post heating to ensure the cast does not crack.  Maybe we have been lucky, but we have not destroied any casting repair in many years.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-14-2008 13:15
Certanium 888 works really well also.  I don't know how hard that is to come by though.  I found some in an old busted up coal fire power plant in the old maintenance room.;-)
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-14-2008 17:11
Thanks guys.

NIC-L-WELD 59
General purpose nickel-iron alloy electrode for production, salvage and repair of all cast iron

Features:
# Tensile strength - Up to 70,000 psi
# Good machinability
# Close color match
# Conforms to AWS A5.15, ENiFeCl

Packaging:
10 lb. tube, 4 tubes per carton

WELDING PARAMETER:
# AC or DC reverse polarity
# Use CHAMFER ARC or grinding to vee out cracks
# Preheat heavy castings to approximately 400ºF
# Direct the arc upon deposited metal
# Hold electrode at a slight angle in the direction of travel
# Skip or back-step weld
# Lightly peen between passes
# Slow cool
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ductile Iron to ASTM A36?