Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Elevator welders?
- - By Marro1980 (*) Date 02-14-2008 00:11
I wasnt sure where to put this comment but here goes...

A buddy wants me to go with him to apply at the local elevators union in LA (pasadena). he just wants to get his foot in the door but I was wondering if having an LA city cert gives one an edge. I have my structural cert (manual process) only on my LA but Im also certified for innershield through AWS.
I am currently a shop Ironworker and am part of the IW union, but I like to keep my options open. Does much welding go into that industry?

forgive my lack of knowledge!

-mario
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 02-14-2008 00:42
i've seen what the elevator guys do...there really isn't that much welding involved in a system.  it's more mechanical connections and electrical than anything.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-14-2008 02:53
I provide training and certify the local ECU here in NEPA.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 02-14-2008 13:23
forget about all that Elevator crap , join the Ironworkers Unoin and do some real welding........(no disrespect intended).......
Parent - - By Roadtrash (*) Date 02-14-2008 14:20
if you read his post you will notice that he is in the Ironworkers Union
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 02-15-2008 12:43
"Field Ironworkers".........big difference.........twice the pay also.........
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 02-15-2008 15:16
hey, JA. why is it twice the pay? union is union isn't it? could you elaborate a little more so that i can understand the difference. in the field do you have to work twice as much and weld twice as much to earn twice the pay?
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 02-15-2008 19:42
mountainman , many unions and federal davis-bacon have different pay scales and work conditions , depending on what work is preformed . usually the shop type is less , because different conditions and year round work . example - working in hazaradus areas , underground doing hot work under helicopters and over some heights , underwater marine work split-shifts , tide work , emergency etc . if you get the drift . i'm sure others will chime in and may correct my spelling . good luck . willie
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-15-2008 19:58
If Ella Fitzgerald married Darth Vader, would she be Ella Vader?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-15-2008 20:02
I believe she would.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 02-15-2008 20:03
thanks for the reply. what is federal davis-bacon? i just found it hard to believe that field work would always bring twice the pay. i'm sure however that i can't imagine all the obstacles that are encountered in the field ironworking trade, i would guess that that is one of the main reasons.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-15-2008 20:26
Hello mountainman, my understanding of Davis/Bacon, is that it is an act that covers certain federally regulated, controlled, or funded work and requires prevailing wage to be paid to workers regardless of their normal hourly rate. So in other words, if you are working for company A and they are doing a Davis/Bacon job, even though your wage might normally be say $18.00/hr. if prevailing wage for the area(generally based upon union scale for the particular union involved), then your wage for that particular work might possibly be $36.00/hr. and your employer needs to be paying that to you for whatever work is involved under that particular contract. There are possibly employers out there who fudge on this sort of thing and instead pocket the difference for themselves and or their companies. Obviously they open themselves up for considerable penalty or possibly jail time. I hope I got this right, if not I know there are others on here who can explain this in very explicit detail. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 02-16-2008 01:48
I believe it is the law.  A former employer was telling me that he doesn't make a whole lot of money on Davis-Bacon jobs because he has to bid them just like any other job.  Or if it's a time/material job he has to charge his usual hourly rate.  Instead, a large chunk of that hourly rate goes to the worker.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 02-16-2008 02:58
may boss said the same thing "we don't made money with those jobs" thas way he don't bit on those jobs any more, because the workers take a big chonk of money.
Parent - By warmka weld (*) Date 02-16-2008 04:01
prevailling wage is good for employee and not have a bad thing but why should a tax payer which we all are have to forfeit the lowest bid to yield to the local prievailing.
have a hard time believing that a low bid is always the worst bid if all things are laid on the table.
Parent - By JA (**) Date 02-16-2008 13:35
the unions  , you would think , should be the same , but there not,,,,,,,unoin "shop" Ironworkers make far less than union "field" Ironworkers......
even the field Ironworkers unions vary in pay from state to state,,,,,,,,,New York Ironworkers make more than us here in California , we make more than those in Arizona,,,,,but just by a few dollars per hour........here in Los Angeles , our pay scale is $34.09 per hour + benefits.......$51.00 per hour total......you'd be damn lucky to get even half that working in a union shop......

you don't do twice the welding in the field , its just a totally different world than working in the shop.......

and like Welderdude said , as far as the welding thats involved in the Elevators Unoin,,,,,,there isn't much.... like he said , mostly mechanical and electrical ........

Marro1980 , if you have your L.A. city manual , go down to the dept of building and safety , show them your AWS fluxcore , pay the money and get your  L.A. city semi automatic ......
there is no written exam for that , just the practical.........then get your ass down the the local 433 Ironworkers , show them what you got , and climb up here and start welding...........
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Elevator welders?