Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Red Face Welder
- - By 4JWelding (**) Date 02-15-2008 18:56
I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed browsing through the topics of vast information I have found.  I have a question about a SA200 that I have found for sale.  According to the faceplate it is a red face:  SA200 F162  Code 5108 Serial # A-471443.  That would make the machine a 1963 model.  I am a little concerned of the originality of it.  I thought all Continental F-162 motors had the started mounted at the bottom of the motor or flywheel.  The starter on this one is on the topside like a F-163.  I couldn't find a plate on the motor but the head has a date stamped in it 2/27/63 and at the bottom of the motor torward the back the block is stamped F400A4.  The generator has a code stamped on it 7307.  Can anyone shed some light on this subject?  Is this an all original machine? 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-15-2008 19:15
Hello 4JWelding, first off, welcome to the forum, as you have already found through your browsing, there is a wealth of information on any number of topics. Unless there is a price issue here or you are a collector and concerned with the originality of the machine, I would probably consider how the machine runs and welds more so than anything else. Certainly it is nice to know what the machine is or has from the standpoint of being able to order the correct parts when they might be required for repair. I know there are websites where you can look up the various serial #'s and verify authenticity and such, unfortunately, I don't know those specific links to give to you. You may find some of these while looking at some of the past posts on this topic. There is also an individual that frequents this site by the call name of KSellon who is a wealth of information and help in this regard, she also operates a welding repair business and is very free with this sort of information and service help and questions. You might consider using the search function on the forum here as there have been plenty of other posts regarding this very sort of information. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-15-2008 22:33
i have 3 welders 1 162 the starter down low,the other 2 are 163 the starters are up high if this helps
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-15-2008 23:09 Edited 02-15-2008 23:12
Someone made one good machine out of 2. and since they used a code 7307 generator housing and backing plate they had to go with the 1 o'clock starter. A serial number for a 7307 code number on the generator housing is A731948 (1973).
Parent - - By 4JWelding (**) Date 02-16-2008 01:47
Thanks for the reply's.  I was afraid someone might have done that and tried to pass it off as a Red Face but wasn't for sure.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-16-2008 15:25
A true Red Face will have a round generator housing, not hex.

In the 70's Lincoln discovered they could stamp more square pieces out of a sheet of metal then round. And Lincoln is all about saving money. So that is why you will see hex hhousings on newer machines.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Red Face Welder