Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 12v to 120ac inverter on sa 200g
- - By dobsalot (**) Date 02-16-2008 16:34
installed an inverter to the battery on my 200g, it works fine with the welder turned off but if I try to use it with the welder running it shows an abnormal high voltage input. Inverter is designed to operate on 10.5v to 15vdc input. with the welder running I show 15.6vdc at the battery.  I  want to be able to use the inverter and keep the battery charged to a normal level at the same time.  I was thinking I could install a voltage regulator in line from the alternator to the battery to bring voltage down to under 15v.  I was trying to keep from buying an expensive deep cycle battery and keep it charged somehow. Anybody feel free to educate me on this subject. I guess I could buy a 300D and not worry about it, but I prefer the 200G arc and fuel efficiency. Gas is about .30 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel right now.
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 02-16-2008 16:38
sounds like you just need to adjust your voltage regulator if you have a generator, or replace it if you have an alternator (its inside the case)
13.8 - 14v at high idle is all you need or want
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 02-16-2008 16:55
Sounds like an alternator problem.  I don't know anything about the 200g, but 15.6V could be hurting your battery, and there really should be a voltage regulator between the alternator and battery.  I thought most alternators actually had a voltage regulator built in, so yours may have a problem (if you have one???).  If your alternator doesn't have a voltage regulator, then it sounds like a good idea to install one.
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 02-16-2008 17:59
the SA-200 had a voltage regulator attached to the frame under the alternator.  but if it's been replaced with a car alternator, chances are the original regulator was cut out of the loop.
Parent - - By dobsalot (**) Date 02-16-2008 18:04
Thanks, I believe my alternator has an internal voltage reg. I haven't had any battery problems . I think I'll disconnect invertor and see what voltage  I get then.  Mabey the alternator senses the extra load and tries to compensate. Usually when your alternator shows more than 14v you either have a bad battery or bad connection and I have nether. 
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-17-2008 04:21
On an alternator the voltage regulator controlls the power going to the rotor, which is actually the field current. If You inadverdantly hook the brush lead to the battery on an externally regulated alternator the voltage will go high as it is uncontrolled. The other posibility is that the regulator is faulty and is feeding full power to the rotor. On the old fashoned regulator with a coil and contact points the contacts may be burned together.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 12v to 120ac inverter on sa 200g