Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Corrosion Rate for blank vessel
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 02-18-2008 07:11
Dear All

I have been inspected Blank Pressure vessel..Can I use Corrosion Rate at one vessel to calculate for all blank vessel in same content fluid???
The condition is:
- No test coupon at plant that usually used for determine for calculation.
- I use api 510 spec for existing condition.

Please give me your explanation and what paragraph of code consist of that rule.

Thanks---Best Regards
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-18-2008 14:39
There may be someone here that can help you out, but I suspect you would be better off posting your question at a forum for corrosion as opposed to welding.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-18-2008 15:25
maxilimiano,

What do you mean of blank pressure vessels?

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 02-19-2008 04:13
Joey

Blank vessel is unknown document record and blank document

thank
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-19-2008 11:07
maxilimiano

I suspect you are reffering to vessels without available documents for computation of corrosion rate.

page 8-2 ; 8th ed June 1997 of API 510 states:-

a. A corrosion rate may be calculated from data collected by the owner or user on vessels in the same or similar service.

b. If data on vessels providing the same or similar service is not available, a corrosion rate may be estimated from the owner's or user's experience or from published data on vessels providing comparable service.

c. If the probable corrosion rate cannot be determined by either item a or item b above, on-stream determination shall be made after approximately 1000 hours of service by using suitable corrosion monitoring devices or actual non destructive thickness measurements of the vessel or system. Subsequent determinations shall be made after appropriate intervals until the corrosion rate is established.

Hope the above are the answers you are looking for.

Regards

Joey
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 02-20-2008 08:09
To All

Actually I am 100 % agree with you Joey. I have used that API 510 Paragraph 5.3 "A corrosion rate may be calculated from data collected by the owner or user on vessels in the same or similar service".
My next question is:
- What about the material?? Can I use API 510 Par 6.7 for blank vessel than I use Par 5.3?? Some people disagree about that, because in they mind is too many assumption...

How I explain for them?????? (thats very difficult for me...because they always ask about "What code or paragraph that consist of it...?????"

Thanks to all
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-21-2008 11:14 Edited 02-21-2008 11:17
maxilimiano,

You can ask to conduct the ultrasonic thickness measurement to determine the current thickness.
Based on MAWP, you can get the PV engineer to calculate the minimum required thickness.

Since, you said earlier that you are the approved inspector by your Govt. I assume that you are the statutory inspector.
Then, why you need to do the explaination? Is it much easier if you'll ask the person-in-charge of the Plant to do the explanation instead?

I don't know your scope of work as govt approved inspector. But I've worked in Indonesia and I'm not surprise of your difficulties.

Regards
Joey 
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 02-22-2008 04:22
OK Joey, Thank about this..I am forgot about my position, (Government Approved Inspector.)  That would be KEYWORD to me for my argumentation.

Thank to all best regarg
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-18-2008 23:54
Vessels Codes and standards, such as ASME VIII for pressure vessels, API 650 for petroleum products atmospheric storage tanks and AWWA D100 for water, DO NOT specify corrosion allowances. They say that corrosion depends on a number of factors that can not be wholly covered on a standard, and leave the choice of the corrosion allowance to the vessel designer. So, Maximiliano, it's up to you to decide whether or not to use the corrosion rate of one vessel for all of them.
Now, process engineering and construction firms use to have their own specifications, and they (the specifications) use to state corrosion allowances for many cases. Don't you have the chance of having access to one of those specifications?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil  
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 02-22-2008 08:13
Maxilimiano,

I'm not working with any pressure vessel before, but i think corrosion rate is depend also on the design pressure, working temperature, constructing materials... etc.
for my opinion, it is not so reasonable to use corrosion rate at one vessel to all other having same content fluid... if the design pressure, working temperature and materials are different, they cannot be considered under comparable/similar service condition.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Corrosion Rate for blank vessel