Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Measuring Reinforcement on rolled plate or pipe
- - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-19-2008 17:23
What is the best and most accurate way to measure reinforcement on large rolled plate weldments or pipe on groove or butt welds?  Due to the change of angle, a typical reinforcement guage is not accurate as well as a Bridgecam guage.  Even if I place the bridgecam gauge as parallel as possible with the weld, it does not give me a 100% accurate measurement like I would get on a flat plate. 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-19-2008 19:18
have you tryed a profile gauge. it is a row of small pins (1/32") in a line. you can draw out your connection and use this for youe "a" face.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-19-2008 22:59
I use the Hi-Lo gage from GAL. The legs are long enough to extend over the face of the weld and sit flat against the adjacent plate/pipe surface.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-20-2008 15:45
Thanks, I will look into these other types of gauges.
Parent - - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-20-2008 16:49
Ok, I can't find anything on the Pin-type profile gauge but I did look at some info on the Hi-Lo gage and I still am not convinced that it would measure the reinforcement in the manner in which I am speaking of.  We are forming our own large diameter pipe and making Sub-Arc horrizontal and Vertical welds on it.  We must control the amount of reinforcement.  Most gauges (reinforcement, bridgcam, undercut) will measure the reinforcement of the horrozontal welds that go around the circumference of the weldment because the gauge is on the same plane as the weld.  But the vertical welds run against the circumference thus the material slopes down on both sides of the weld and the gage is no longer on the same plane as the weld and will not give an accurate readout. 
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 02-20-2008 17:13
WOW, how accurate does it have to be?  I mean, measuring the vertical weld (I'm assuming this is a longitudinal weld running the length of pipe) is not 100% accurate due to the countour of the adjacent base metal, but any of these gages can get you close.  What kind of tolerance do you have?  Is it a set tolerance like "reinforcement shall be 1/8" +/- 1/32", or is it to a code that says something like reinforcement shall not be more than 3/16"?  If it's the former, with a strict tolerance, you may need to look into haveing a special gage made that forms to the countour of the pipe with a notch in the middle for the weld size...a go/no go type of gage.  If it's not that strict, you can get fairly close with the other gages mentioned.
Parent - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-20-2008 19:22
You are correct, they would be considered longitudinal welds running the lenght of the pipe.  The code states a maximum amount not to be exceeded.  There are three thickness ranges and the maximum reinforcement depending on the range for the longitudinal (vert) welds are 3/32, 1/8, 3/16".  So in this case, it is important that I can be precise to the 1/32.  The thing is, in our industry we build many different diameter weldments, so it is not feasable to make go, no go, gages.  We also disc plates to different degrees and weld both sides, so on one side I am dealing with the plate sloping upwards from the weld and on the other downward from the weld. 

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 17:50
Parent - - By Logan Mayfield (**) Date 02-20-2008 21:03
Thanks for the link, I may order one of these to try out.  I believe I could use it to calculate the reinforcement, but I don't know how practical it will be.  I was hoping to find something that I could give out to a few of the shop supervisors to use.  I would have a hard time implementing something like this where it does not have an instant readout of some sort.   

I was hoping there was something out there a bit more user friendly that would work, but it does not seem to be so.  Thanks for the ideas, suggestions, and input. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 21:37
is there an out of round tolerance for the pipe that can used in conjunction with the reinforcement tolerance to make a go-no-go gage?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Measuring Reinforcement on rolled plate or pipe