Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding SA216 cast (ASME SEC IX)
- - By new tito (***) Date 02-20-2008 22:49
Will be doing a repair to NBIC.  We will be using a cast transition swage (rectangular on one end and circular on the other end) that will be welded to a box, while the other end gets a flange welded to it.  So, code is NBIC/ASMe sec VIII.

My question deals with welding - ASME sec IX lists SA216 WCB as a P1 gp 2 material.  Can I assume that welding would be the same as with any other P1 to P1 (no impacts required). 
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-21-2008 00:23
Doesn't the impact requirement depend on the nominal thickness?  I used to have to do room temp or +40 CVNs on WCB (don't try any low temp since it probably won't pass), but I can't remember if it was from section VIII or III.  Anyway, since I can't help you there, I do remember that even though it is based on thickness, the thickness used do determine CVN requriements on the valves we welded didn't have anything to do with the thickness of the valve, but on the thickness of the attaching pipe.  So watch out for that one on castings.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding SA216 cast (ASME SEC IX)