Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G 2" sch 80 304 stainless
- - By ARW (*) Date 02-22-2008 02:42
[deleted]
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-23-2008 04:14
All that information should be provided by the entity that will be testing you.
Parent - - By ARW (*) Date 02-24-2008 04:12
[deleted]
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-25-2008 16:45
Use a knife edge land and the gap shoud be the same size as the filler you are using.  Most of the time when taking a test they don't tell you squat.  It's, here's the machine, weld with this wire in this position, I wanna see the root when you get that in.  Purge cfh usually depends on the size of the vent hole you have.  Use a lighter to make sure you have a good purge if they don't have an 02 meter.
Parent - - By ARW (*) Date 02-26-2008 04:20
[deleted]
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 02-26-2008 04:23
Outside...
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-26-2008 13:09
I'd say outside as well.  I know two brothers from Ireland that feed it in through the inside and can really lay a slick root in there, but out in the field you will run into situations where the outside will be the best way.  Good luck on your test!
    P.S. a lil trick so you can look your root in after each run and not loose your purge.  Tape a clear lens to the end of the pipe so you can shine a light down in there to see if your getting what you want.  You can cut the lens so it fits right in the ID of the pipe with a grinder.  You can do this at home so it's ready for the test.  All you need is a little window.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-28-2008 05:07
The second pass will cure many ills (suckback) but be sure you've still got that purge gas going strong. Since you're not paying for the gas, I'd say 20cfm is within reason. I was trained with too little gas because they were paying for the gas. Previous posters seem right on, to me. Try that knife edge, by the way, and experiment with progression (six to three, nine to twelve - anything that keeps the gap from closing. Pretend it's late, you're tired, and you've just done seventeen of these things.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G 2" sch 80 304 stainless