Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Cracks
- - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 17:10
Let me ask a question for fun.
Is there any situation where a crack in a weld is acceptable, or even desirable?
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-28-2008 17:35
I have seen hard surfacing crack and the engineers were not worried about it.

Brian
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-28-2008 17:39
I'll bite on this one.

Truthfully, no.  However, it will depend upon what the exact definition of a crack is.  For example, in a PJP butt joint, will the incomplete fusion appear as a crack in an RT film?  And if the joint was classified as a PJP, and the RT tech rejected it for a crack along the axis of the root, would the engineer and or the WI buy off on it?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-28-2008 17:41
No acceptable cracks per D1.1
Parent - By chall (***) Date 02-28-2008 17:42
API 1104 allows small crater cracks in pipeline welds.

I always found that ironic, since the pipeline inspectors I have encountered are among the most stringent.  By that I mean, bead placement, concavity, reinforcement, undercut, abrupt transitions, valleys and generally, less than perfect welds are almost never overlooked.  Given the industry, I don't mind it.  Furthermore, even though the code allows crater cracks, I (and the people I work with) would never allow them to remain.

Charles
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-28-2008 17:53
Yeah, it means the stress is off of it now so grind it out and burner in der. Thats if it's still in one piece.;-)  J/K I have no idea, but this is good trivia. You could make a game out of this.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 18:04
Brian hit it dead on, where I was going with that. Some call it cross checking.
I worked with a hardfacing company awhile back and we actually measured the success of our FeC powdered mix in an open arc process by the number of cracks per linear inch in the weld. If there were too few you weren't gonna be hard enough (this stuff put the rock in Rockwell). Too many and your hardfacing may crumble apart. 
Though Charles post was informative too. I hadn't realized that.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-28-2008 18:02
Small cracks become big cracks.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-28-2008 18:04
I agree with Bmass1.  I have only let cracks go in hardfacing applications, where sometimes it's desirable.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 18:06
Gotta say, hardfacing is the only application I can think of where cracks are not only acceptable, and not only desirable, but used a quality control measure by count (other than 0 of course). Sometimes more is better.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-28-2008 18:17
Hardurfacing would be the only application where I would buy it.  With one particular manufacturers electrode I can hear it "ping" during the actual welding.

Brian
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 02-28-2008 18:35
hello, why would you want cracks in that application? hardsurfacing is something i am not familiar with. wouldn't the cracks act as little shoulders for whatever is rubbing against it to grab and then wear away at it faster?

JJ
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 18:58
When you weld something that hard there are really huge stresses when it cools. Hardness is high, ductility low. Those stresses will be relieved upon shrinkage. I would guess that 'shoulders' could very well be an issue, but a material with less hardness and therefore less tendency to cracking will wear even faster.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-28-2008 19:17
Hello mountainman, in many instances hardsurfacing is used over the top of softer deposits. Even though you may see cracks on the surface of the hardfacing application, those cracks aren't necessarily detrimental, they are there as a result of the contraction rate of the hardsurfacing deposit. Part of the hardness of this material means that it doesn't have much in the way of elongation ability, elasticity, or ductility, thus it cracks. Think of it in terms of certain candies that have a chocolate covering, as you bend the chocolate covered bar it may crack the chocolate covering but the chocolate still sticks to the caramel or whatever else is under it. In a sense certain hardsurfacing materials act similarly. I used to build up crusher rolls for a crushing plant, we would use E7024, E7014, E7018 to do the initial build-up and then finish the roll with a layer of hardsurfacing rod. The underlay of weld would act somewhat as a buffer for the hardsurface on top and would allow it to have some give. If you put too heavy or thick of a layer of hardsurfacing on, large chunks might break out instead. There are also different types of hardsurfacing material, some are designed to resist impact, others are designed to resist abrasion, yet others are designed to resist abrasion at high temperatures, there are really many different types of these materials, most with very specific applications and uses. Having said that, many will exhibit the cracking and it is acceptable, others may not exhibit any cracking and even if they do, it may be acceptable as well. The folks that select specific types of these materials for application need to take this into consideration when they specify or choose a certain material. Hope this helps somewhat, Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-28-2008 19:41
As usual, good explanation Allen.

To take it a bit further, most hardfacing material is very, I stress VERY, hard.  It sometimes ranges into the high 60's and mid 70's RC.  Usually one layer will not exhibit much cracking because of the dilution with the softer material, but as the hardfacing is built up, the weld mix gets less and less ductile, and at some point becomes unable to contract as the part cools.  That's when it starts to crack the hardfacing weld bead and almost always are transverse to the weld bead.  These cracks don't usually propagate into the base metal, and are totally normal.  We use one specific SMAW rod that will not stack more than 3 layers because of the extreme hardness.  The weld material becomes so hard that it will start chipping off in chunks as the part cools.  One other very important thing with this type of rod is that proper ventilation.  Due to the different alloys in the stuff, the smoke is really really bad on your lungs.

My apologies to the original poster since his post was not really asking about hardfacing.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 20:02
The process we used was a single layer open arc process (solid wire with a powder mix) with ~5% or less dilution. The mix was designed to realize an M7C3 Cr/Fe Carbide with a Brinell equivelent of ~1700 (though Brinell's typically max at about 600).
The mix was ~5% C, 30% Cr, 3% Mn, and Fe balance (though a variety of chemistries and hardnesses was available. Our specs were 55 RC min. with ~20 cracks per foot (foot, not inch as I mistated).
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 02-28-2008 20:51
very interesting, learn something new everyday. thanks.

JJ
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-29-2008 13:00
oh damm is not this a helluva thread
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 02-29-2008 14:18
js55
Was this company in Houston?  I ask as I worked for them for several years in the 70's and 80's.  Buckwelding, some called it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:30
fredspoppy,
Houston for sure. Never heard the Buckwelding thing though.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:36
I don't want to let Charles' post slip by without more discussion. Not being an 1104 guy, though not totally ignorant of it either, the idea of acceptable crater cracks, though I'm sure having heard it, never seriously impinged on my mind (though I'm sure at the time I went huh?). But as Charles says, this is a very interesting (and I have to admit somewhat troublesome in my mind)state of affairs for pressure (sometimes very high pressure and temp and perhaps even cyclic service) retaining, CJP (to borrow the AWS D.1 terminology) circumferential groove welds.
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 02-29-2008 16:01
Tapco/Triten.  I was with them '79-'84.  The technical term was "bulk welding", meaning powdered additions to open arc and sub arc welding.  Many a plate of chrome carbide overlay was manufactured using that method.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 16:28
Small world. When I arrived they had just decided to bring back their hardfacing operation from Monterrey Mexico and restart it in Houston. AND, they had just acquired Capitan Corrosion Overlays from Capitanescu and were bringin them down from Canada. So we were doing hardfacing and corrosion at the same time, seperated by a couple of walls. The bulk welding open arc process, as you probably well know, was at one time, maybe even when you were there, proprietary, invented by the old man, one of the truly knowledgeable old guard of fusion welding minds from the 50's and 60's. But its pretty widespread now. Tapco was sold off and moved around the corner on Little York.
It didn't work out between me and them but there were still some pretty good guys there.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:49
API 620 will allow a crack when performing UT in accordance with appendix U.

Note under 5.26.1
"In the case of UT, flaw characterization
by type or shape is not required (except for results of supplemental
MT/PT). Rather the sizing of both the length and height of
flaws is emphasized. The UT acceptance criteria provided in Appendix
U are based on fracture mechanics and assume that any flaw may
have crack-like characteristics."

Your going to find a bit tighter but similiar version of this in the ASME code case 2235-9.
Case 2235-9
Use of Ultrasonic Examination in Lieu of Radiography
Section I; Section VIII, Divisions 1 and 2; and
Section XII

The don't come out and say "crack-like characteristics" like API does, but they do use
the term "planar" and give acceptance for it. I don't have a copy of 07 VIII but would be
surprised if it hasn't made it into it.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 03-01-2008 22:18
we are currently making a cone digester for the oilsands in our shop, 30 metre diameter and every bit of it is harsurfaced and there are a lot of nozzles, do dads, and whatchamacallits all over the thing. we are welding stoody 33 over 7018 in all the seams, joints, plugwelds, and what a lesson in humility it is to weld something perfectly(or close to it) and it looks like it was put on by a drunk cakemaker, ive had pieces of hardfacing fall out of holes from the cladding plates when we prep them, its a real paradigm shift to weld that stuff. and not only are the cracks acceptable the third part ins. will come by and say "looks great" and in my welder way of seeing it i think it looks like hell.
i call the stoody a teenager rod because it wants nothing to do with the parent metal. you basically have to force the two to have anything to do with each other.
it pings and clicks the whole time your welding it, had one crack so loud i almost sh*t myself made the whole piece i was working in jump and its around 1000kgs

on a side note i did a little welding without a mask, one of those we need just a couple of passes right here right now, what a mistake it took a couple of weeks before i felt like myself again, it really messes with your head the fumes from that rod, i wont be doing that again. the grinding dust is real bad as well. the ironic thing is it grinds relatively easily because it is so hard, keeps exposing new disc and breaks of tiny little pieces instead of swarf type of particles.
darren

Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 03-02-2008 10:11
you should try arctec 661T thats what they use to do field repairs on the wirewelded overlay in oilsands slurrylines in the mines ,  terrible crap. pops and cracks ,likes to fall out and if you have to grind anything better have a couple boxes of discs
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2008 17:57
AWS D1.2 allows cracks at the ends of intermittent fillet welds provided the crack is not within the required length and I though API 1104 accepted crater cracks 5/32 inch or less in length.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Cracks