Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Getting back in the game
- - By jimmcphail Date 02-27-2008 22:29
I spent 15 years working in the oil constructioin industry in the north of Scotland, building topside, jackets and sub sea structures for, Conoco, BP. Marathon, Shell etc, starting out as a welder and ending as a QC inspector. Since the work dried up in 99 I have worked in several small fab shops in Aberdeen serving the offshore platforms. I held a CSWIP inspection cert, MPI cert, Radiography cert all of which have expired as of 06. I have lived and worked in the US for the past 5 years but wish to return to the oil business. I would appreciate any advice on what would be the best path to take ie, start as a welder again and then to inspection, or what would be acceptable inspection qualifications both here and Canada. Being out of the game and from a different country I just want to aim and work towards getting what would be the most helpfull in finding a job.    
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-28-2008 03:39
Welcome to the forum Jim. I would suggest getting back in as a welder since your NDE certs have expired. After you weld for awhile you can make contacts and gage the situation better from the inside. You might be able to get a company you are welding for to pay for you to retest on the NDE certs. Lots of work out there as a welder or inspector if you can travel. There are alot of post on here concerning pipelines and oil industry work if you use the search feature. But old posts won't help much as it changes daily. You could record some of the phone numbers though. I'm not in the oil industry, wrong place wrong time): Hopefully some of the guys that are in it will respond.

I made it as far as Edinburgh on a long weekend trip from Norwich.(Working in England- Sizewell B) Took the train, got a cab, asked the driver to take us (wife & 3 children) to a decent Bed & Breakfast. Checked in and 1 hour later met another couple from our crew in the same B & B. Went out that night and saw another family from our crew in town. None of us knew the others were going to Edenburgh that weekend. Much less the same B & B. I can see why it was such a popular place. Great place to visit. Good luck on the search.
Parent - - By jimmcphail Date 02-29-2008 01:07
Thanks for your reply, I have a friend who lives in Edmonton and has been nagging me to go to Ft McMurray with tales of big bucks and lots of work, and I know what thats like as it was like this in the 80's in the north of Scotland more work then men. I was interested to know what welding cert / Inspection cert would be acceptable in both countries and a plus to getting a start, got the experience and skills but you need that bit of paper. Edinburgh is s nice city and a fun place to spend a few days, go on ghost tour on the Royal mile its a blast for adults and kids alike, but listen there a whole lot more Scotland to see with a lot less nancy boys in it. Again any info would be appreciated as I don't mind go getting the cert and taking the tests etc. 
JMc     
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 01:39
Not sure about the welding cert, but for inspection, I believe a cswip and or CWI(converted to equivalent) is accepted in both countries.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Getting back in the game