Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Peoples opinions on how to BUILD a business
- - By Morph Ind. Date 02-28-2008 09:01
Hello,

I have a few questions, some quite general, in regards to building a welding/fabricating business in Vancouver, BC.

First a little about myself, the owner of Morph Industries Ltd. 

I have ambitious life goals.

I'm 21 and have been welding for almost 6 (3 years full time employ) years now.  I incorporated the company 5 months ago. 
I have good people skills and consider myself able to talk with anyone in an honest, professional and positive manner. 
I received my C level along with my FCAW and SMAW CWBs a year ago.
I have worked mostly on heavy equipment and structural steel as well as residential jobs, custom art work and 4x4 vehicle parts/accessories.
I have a mobile welding setup and would like to get into this market, no success yet.
I rent a small shop space and have access to a large enclosed area for larger projects.
I contract out 3 guys as necessary with their A, B and C levels respectively.
I will be starting my B level in the next few months @ BCIT......anyone recomend anywhere else over BCIT?

Questions:

What are your guys and girls opinions on the best ways to advertise?

Do you know of anybody within BC who will be doing any shutdowns in the future?

I know word of mouth is the best business card but how should I start the wave?  Who or what(industries, places) should i go talk to?

If anyone knows of any jobs around the vancouver area or any contract work abroad that would suit a C level please let me know.

Stories, How to's, Advice, How I did its etc......

All are welcome and thoroughly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Morgan
Parent - - By Shooter71 (**) Date 02-28-2008 14:56
I found a nice 1/4 page ad in the phonebook is more cost effective than advertising in newspapers, etc. Radio supposedly isn't that effective but I've no personal experience with it. Become friends with the welding shops/suppliers, steel suppliers, etc. Buy machines and bottles from a local shop even if it costs more, then give them your cards and ask them to send you work. people will call welding suppliers to ask where a good welder is. And the biggest thing, blow people away with the quality of your work. Don't say how good you are, just do it. Round your hours down when you charge, give the customer a little break and they will come back. Don't get out your calculator to figure the amount for 2.875 hours, if you know what I mean.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-29-2008 01:04
NEVER !!!!!!!!! Repair a lawnmower for a 12 pack.
A wise and successful business owner/friend (auto body shop) told me his philosophy was "be friendly but don't be everybody's friend"!
my 2 cents.
Good Luck
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-29-2008 13:19
Put a billboard up at your local stock car track.  Ask to leave a stack of your business cards at small companies like, video stores, farm supply, etc etc.  I still like the phone book idea though and then word of mouth will start to lick in.
Parent - - By wyndworks Date 03-01-2008 23:29
I do what Shooter says - Give 110% and your customers will recommend you to others and come back themselves. I have owned my own welding service for 10 years and am rarely without work ( sopmetimes when it's really cold we slow down). I never nickel and dime my customers. I also tell them if there is ever a problem just call me and I will drop what I am doing and be there. This has never happened yet. I weld for rthem as if my life depends on it and somethime it does and theirs too. I specialize in mostly small structural steel jobs,  railings and repairs.
Parent - - By Morph Ind. Date 03-02-2008 04:19
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your views on my questions.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-02-2008 10:00
ummmm......

I seen a single man startup a fab/repair biz on one side of a the major metro area in this state.  Within 5 years he had eliminated every small weld shop within 50 miles.  He started getting fab contracts that required him sub-contracting major shops to do his brake-shear work...also he was getting calls for hvy equip repair over 150 miles out by large companies (with ten weld shops within five minutes).  HOW?

Simple: Build it like you never want to see it again.  Charge what its really worth (that means more).  Repair the right way..make it good as new or better (charge for it) or walk away.  ALWAYS meet your deadline ALWAYS...if you say 3:00pm tuesday then it is done 3:00 pm tuesday.  Thing is if you do it right they will come back...if they don't like you price and go to el cheapo...they will come back anyway to ask you to fix it.  You can sell quality work at almost any price you want but you will never be able to give away crap no matter how hard you try.   That will build a business in real clientèle and will sell itself.  just my opinion

Good luck
Tommy
Parent - By Dr. D (*) Date 03-02-2008 10:30
Tommyjoking is exactly right.
     I have been welding a little over 10 years and running my own business for 6. Started in a structural/fab shop then worked in a stainless Alum fab shop then went to mostly heavy equipment. I have a lot of varied experience and have been lucky enough to have been trained well by some of the best welders I ever seen, 2 of which were older Mare Island welders. When I decided to go on my own and eventually relocated my business to where I live now I wondered how I was going to make it.
     I first talked to rock quarry operators, heavy equip. operators, trucking companies etc. left business cards at local auto parts store. I had enough work to keep me busy for 3 years easy. I've had local welding shops ask me to some work for them at MY rate when they were too busy just so they didn't have to turn down a customer.  All my work is done as Tommy suggested and the customers always call back. Those that know what it takes to do the job right the first time won't complain that it takes more time. Or they will realize it when they first try joe schmo down the street because he's a little cheaper but his welds look like crap and the repair breaks in a week. Then they call you and see the difference in weld quality and it never breaks again.
     One more bit of advice, when a customer calls and asks for a repair and says I have a welder here you can use, still use your own welder. Half the reason they called you in the first place is because they probably already tried it with their welder, probably a hardwire MIG machine when the best course of action would be SMAW. I always tell them I will be bringing my service truck anyways so I will be using my welder. Never rely on some elses equipment.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-02-2008 16:52
Not that it means alot in BC right now but I would suggest that you complete your level-A and inter-provincial. At least then you will have tickets to backup your business. Weather that makes the difference or not I don't know as welding is not a mandatory trade in BC as it is in Alberta and some of the other provinces. But I hear that is changing.I have found that a 1/4 page colour add in the yellow pages has produced the best results along with word of mouth, your customers are your best advertising and don't sell yourself to cheap it is hard to build when you are not making a profit. My two bits
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Peoples opinions on how to BUILD a business