Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / can i join 798 with a miller 350?
- - By short stack (**) Date 02-23-2008 20:55
can i join 798 with a miller trailblazer 350?is so how and where?
                                                               thanks
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-24-2008 02:34
Read under "Process Change Causes Opinion Change"
http://www.millerwelds.com/education/articles/story92.html
Parent - - By short stack (**) Date 02-24-2008 15:18
i guess that means a yes !!! ive seen that before .just wanted to hear from someone thats acually out there working in it thanks
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-24-2008 20:43
If you mean a 2 cylinder, air cooled trailbalazer, then you will find it difficult to impossible to get a test with a machine of that class for a mainline construction job.
It has nothing to do with the owners skill level, it has everything to do with having the right tools for the job.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-24-2008 21:30
350 is the diesel model not air cooled. As for the article they were using Pro 300s but if the question is Miller or lincoln then I guess that question is answered.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-24-2008 21:45
No not really.
Any of the trailblazer series will make it very difficult or impossible to get a test on mainline construction.
There are Millers in use on pipeline work but they are certainly not trailblazers. They are PipePro's. The PipePro is making up close to 20% of the welding machines we see in the field. But they have a reputation as being unreliable and expensive to fix.
They do fill and cap very well.

As for the link provided in the thread, that's purely a Miller advertisement, and should be taken as such.
Anyone who uses that type of info as their source of "expertise" on a particular field of welding work is sorely missinformed. A just a bit naive as well.

JTMcC.

cmays, do you work in the mainline construction field?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-24-2008 22:40
cmays, do you, or anyone else that's responded to the original post have any current experience that would qualify you to answer the posters question?

It was a simple question. Any current member of 798 could be of help, ore anyone very familiar with the requirements to work on a 798 job.

Anyone without that knowledge is just blowing wind. Or posting, like the one guy, info that was state of the art.....in the 1970's.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-25-2008 01:55
I am not a "Pipeliner" or what you might qualify one as. I am not union. I do not feel the need to go on and on about my experience in the pipe line industy nor give this holyer than thow junk to give a guy a link to an article. Im not a "Miller guy" nor am I a "Lincoln guy". I run either one, depending on what type of work Im doing.

To the original poster,
   What is the harm in asking the people  what they require. They will know better than anyone. I apologize if I misslead you in anyway by showng you and article. I was not "Blowing wind", nor Im I naive in anyway about the subject.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-02-2008 02:26
cmays your response was about as helpfull as a guy asking what truck holds up well on the right of way, and some dude (you) giving a link to a Chevy (or Ford or Dodge tv commercial), like a rock. Might be entertaining but no usefull information.

If you have no experience in a field, why, pray tell, would you offer advise in said field????????

Ahhhh, the wonders of the internet.

JTMcC.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 03-02-2008 04:00
SO would you say that what was written in the article was false? Im not saying there may not be any bias comming off a miller website but come on. Of course you gotta have the right tools for the job. If you dont know that then I dont know what to tell you.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-25-2008 07:26
JTMcC: I am not trying to start troubble or pick a fight, but where does a lincoln 305D fit into the hirarchy of aceptable machines? People throw "air cooled" around like it is a frisbee. What about a Deutz? Is the line drawn at the 3600 RPM machines? that would include ALL the modern Trailblazers and Rangers. Do they turn thier nose up at a Ranger 300 DXL, or is it OK because it is a Lincoln? I ask this because I have never worked on a pipline, but am interested in what is used. Does anybody use an old Hobart generator? They made them, but I don't hear about anybody fixing one up.
Parent - - By tightline11 (**) Date 02-25-2008 14:12
hello all,
im not trying to cause a big argument  and  i am not a mainline pipeliner however  all of my dads side of the family are and have been and i can tell you  what they have used through the years,  my uncle  used a 79 sa 200, and his sons use lincoln 300G,
the other family members  one used a 300D lincoln  and his son uses a lincoln air cooled 250 with a deutz diesel  and is a 798 union member
in 2002  he finally had to  have someone go into the motor  he had close to 5000 hours on the machine  and  still using it,  like i stated im not a pipeliner  i have a truck rigged out  and weld  on alot of construction equiptment and farm equiptment  i  have a 301 trailblazer but am looking at getting a pro 300 when i upgrade simply because i am tired of the 3600 rpm i am wanting to get a lower rpm machine 
Parent - By welderdan (*) Date 02-27-2008 02:19
I think JTMcC means the smaller aircooled machines, like the bobcats, trailblazers or rangers, its not a brand thing,i.e. lincoln or miller, its having a capable machine
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-02-2008 02:22
You would have a VERY hard time getting a test on a mainline construction job in the U.S with a 305D or Ranger on your truck. It doesn't have anything to do with the brand. Pull up with a Miller PipePro and no body will bat an eye, those machines are working on pipeline spreads all across the country.

It doesn't have anything to do with "turning up your nose", it's what is the appropriate tool for the job.

I have either an old SA-200 or a Classic II on my truck, both will work just fine for pipeline construction, neither one will do for heavy equipment repair involving a lot of air arc and a lot of 3/32" wire. That's just simple, my tools are appropriate for some work but not for other work. That doesn't offend me or hurt my feelings, I'm aware that my truck won't cut it in several different welding situations. It's set up for a fairly limited scope of work.

The people who actually do the work, know and understand what tools are needed, and what won't work. In every field

My take.

JTMcC.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-02-2008 05:31
So except for the Miller Pipe Pro, if You plan to do X country piplines You need a full size machine.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 02-27-2008 17:31 Edited 02-27-2008 17:50
I believe that Shortstack is referring to the Trailblazer Pro350 or the Trailblazer Pro 350D. Which both use the liquid cooled 3 cylinder Kubota, yes the same engine that is on the PipePro 304. Typically these machines are used on process pipe type applications or where there is a need for AC Tig. I won't say that you can't use one to pipeline, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. The Trailblazer Pro 350 has all the ouput needed to keep up with any other 300 class machine. As for the 798, I agree with the some of the other posts, your best bet is to just call down there and hear it for yourself.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-28-2008 02:59
I have a Trailblazer Pro 350, 3 cylinder Kubota engine and have used it to FCAW 5/64 wire on moments all day long for a couple of years before the work dried up. (Actually went to cheaper stick welders that speak no English but that's another story) It did great on the moments on 300 amps and never missed a beat. It does well on pipe too. Just blowing wind.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-01-2008 23:04
I use none of the above but run a miller big 40 diesel and have no trouble passing tests and doing pipe as a matter of fact the more hours I put on the machine the smoother the arc is, has something to do with the break-in. Which was to be run at 200amps plus for without looking it up was 500 hrs or load banked. I have done both and as i have said the machine welds like a hot dame.
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 03-03-2008 11:24
The Big40 is my favorite miller!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / can i join 798 with a miller 350?