Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Using a Lemon to determine Alu vs. Mag
- - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-03-2008 14:24
We have done a fair amount of magnesium repairs over the past few years.  I had a seasoned welding veteran bring some fabricated magnesium intakes from a pulling tractor over last week for repair.  No problem, we did the repair and that was that.  While he and I were shooting the breeze he told me of an old trick to tell if a material is aluminum or magnesium.  Take a lemon and squeeze some of the juice onto the surface, it it's aluminum it will not do anything, where as if it's magnesium it will buddle up like peroxide.  I assume if this is true, it must be the citric acid that reacts with the magnesium.

Anybody used this method before?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 14:39
Thats a new one on me, but it sounds plausible
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-03-2008 15:44
Just use the arc from GTAW and determine the color. Magnesium will have a green arc, aluminum white and zinc die cast purple. Now to determine the exact alloy is going to require metallurgical analysis.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-03-2008 17:12
Yes, I have used that method before and the arc does exhibit the colors as 357max says.

I just never heard of the lemon thing.
Parent - - By jmdugan10 (*) Date 03-03-2008 18:58
A PMI gun works great and is less messy! ;)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-04-2008 09:07
I just always file a bit off and put a flame to the filings....lemon trick sounds neat ...will have to try that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Using a Lemon to determine Alu vs. Mag