Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PPE/eye protection
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 16:59
Gentlemen,
  I have a safety post, and maybe this forum does not deal with safety as I see no posts on safety, but here it goes. In my past experience it has been manditory to wear ANSI approved eye protection IE safety glasses under the welding hood with the exeption of a pancake hood of course. OSHA seems to require this practice. We are in a shop environment. I have first hand experience with sparks falling inside my hood and bouncing of the hood right back into my face. Not to mention when you do not have safety glasses on under the hood, the second you lift the hood you are exposed to hazards such as grinding sparks from your nieghbor. From a safety standpoint,not a comfort standpoint, what say you? All feedback is welcome.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-03-2008 17:22
It's not an option, if you're in the shop, you have on glasses.  PERIOD.

Some people like to think that the welding helmet is good enough, but your post shows two good reasons that a hood is not enough.  Lift your hood and you have no protection, or the occasional spark that makes its way onto your face.  It's too risky to allow this to not be required.  Sure in the hot months it's a pain to have sweat in your face from the glasses, but at least you can see it!

We have even taken it one step further and required anybody using a 4" and larger grinder or a carbide burr air grinder to wear a full face shield.  This reduced our "stuff in the eye" incidences from a few per week to a few per year.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 17:28
I believe that the use of full face protection is also required by OSHA.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2008 17:27
Nothing at all wrong with saying safety glasses with side shields (compliant with Z87) *Shall* be worn at all times, including under the welding hood.

Here is the link to ANSI Z49.1 Safety in Welding Cutting and Allied Processes... It used to cost $90 a pop and now AWS allows free usage and printing.
http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/Z49.1-2005-all.pdf

Look at both 4.2.1.1 and the explaination on the opposite side of the page E4.2.1.1

I'm sure your company insurance carrier would back the requirement to have those safety glasses on at all times.... They would prolly have a fit if they knew welders were working without safety glasses under their hoods.

Even slagless processes like GMAW will leave those little silica islands on the top of the welds and you just know they are going to pop off as soon as you bring your face close enough to have a good look.... Those babies are glass and will cut... 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 17:46
The main reason for this post is of course, the safety and well bieng of my welders. In the past as an AWS CWI I have always been tasked with safety as well as quality. But in the past the safety requirements were always pre-set in stone prior to my arrival and it was only neccessary to enforce them. In this case however I am in the position of implimentation as well as validation of the practice. The environment that I am trying to keep safe is one liking to a third world country, the safety has not really been top priority. They are receptive, but as is understandable, they want documentation that what is bieng requested is actually required. This is something that I do not have the experience in. I have found some at the OSHA website but the way it is worded, could be a "should" as apposed to "shall".
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-03-2008 17:57
Our company requires safety glasses everywhere but in the office or similar areas. Double eye protection is required for welding, grinding, burning and operating machinery such as saws or punches.  (Welding hoods count as a 2nd layer).

Double eye protection to us means safety glasses with a face shield, welding hood, burning goggles, or clear goggles over them.

We require that portable screens be put up around the work area  to contain sparks and etc.  We don't have to surround the work zone but we do have to place the screens to minimize the hazard to others.

A while back we had a bit of an issue with foreign objects in the eye (no major injuries but the clinic had to remove the objects).  People were getting lax in spite of reminders.  Those folks claimed the object got past the spaces around the glasses and face shields.
The "solution" was mandatory use of goggles 100% of the time in production areas, for everyone.  No one liked goggles - hot, sweaty, limited visibility, etc- but we had to use them. It seemed extreme but those were the "sandbox rules" and the company footed the costs.

After a while the company relaxed a bit and has had no major problems since then.

One thing we do that we feel is very important - if anyone gets anything in the eye, we take them immediately to a local eye clinic.  By doing that, we avoid a recordable and the person does not suffer.  No harm, no foul on the worker's part, and nothing is held against the person for getting their eyes checked out.
Objects in the eye usually become recordables when the person discovers in the middle of the night that mayble he/she didn't quite get everything out.  That leads to medicine, eye patches and a lot of discomfort to the worker.  We try to eliminate that risk by getting a professional to look at the eye before it goes that far.

Having worn glasses since I was 7 years old, I can't imagine not using safety glasses.  Mine have saved my eyesight on at least 2 occasions - one of which was in an office.  A heavy duty stapler handle broke, the stapler self destructed and my right lens got centered by a square piece.  The impact slapped me hard and after I got all the grease of my face, I found I had a cut in the polycarbonate lens halfway through the thickness.  I have no doubt I would have lost my right eye were it not for the glasses.
Parent - - By tom mccarron Date 03-03-2008 19:42
Happened to a friend of mine. Mig welding, the sparks went up behind his helmet, and is now blind in one eye. Wear the 2nd pair.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 03-03-2008 22:32
Agreed.  Safety glasses worn under the hood.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PPE/eye protection