Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / looking for subwork
- - By DRZ Date 03-04-2008 03:27
i live in western pa. i have a miller 250g can weld aluminum/steel with the mig and most of my stick welding is with 7018 rod. been welding on trailers for almost 20yrs, mostly on flatbeds. i would like to hit the road with my welder and willing to travel, but i am new at this game and dont know where to start. my truck is an 02 dodge half ton but will go bigger if i can make the money. also interested in doing a pipe welding test but dont know where to go or who to talk to. i hear theres alot of money to be made just dont know if i could pass. i need a for sure thing before i quit my job.   any info would be helpful thankyou! dave                      
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-04-2008 03:59
Dave, I'm not trying to discourage you but in the life as a subcontractor there is no such thing as a sure thing. You can make alot of money if you are in the right place at the right time and can do the job. You can try subbing from pipe contractors, look at mechanical contractors and steel erectors in your area. Also check with general contractors that have jobs going on. They often need welding done on their jobs that is not already contracted out to a company. Google weld test, testing agencies and you can find a local test site in Pittsburg or Erie or Youngstown. A common test for pipe would be E6010 root pass and E7018 fill and cap 6G position. For plate (structural welding) you will need 1 vertical and 1 overhead groove plate test. Those will cover alot of jobs but not all. Aaand you will need insurance. General liability in case you burn their building down. Workers comp so you can't sue the company if you get injured on their job. Good luck with it if you go for it.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-04-2008 05:39 Edited 03-04-2008 05:42
Why would an aspiring welder base his experience on the size of his truck and the type of power source he uses? A miller Maxstar 150, plugged into a 30 amp circuit, with the welder passing a 6G test, would impress me more. DON'T quit your job yet!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / looking for subwork