Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI TEST
- - By hotwork (*) Date 03-07-2008 14:06
I have just took the CWI, CWE, test and passed the a test 75% and failed b and c with 58% each can someone give me some advice I took the 40 hrs but my job does not require most of what is coverded so I do not have a lot of experiance with some of the material. The part b was very hard for me and I am not confident I could pass it the second time. The other 2 people that went with me had the same results.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-07-2008 16:37
if you plan on making a carreer out of it? Spend the little extra money and take two weeks, go to Hobart Inst. of Welding Tech. Very good course with a very high success rate. I am not sure about now, but when I went there if you failed, you were eligable to take the course again for free and pay for only the exam fee. Howevever, and this speaks highly of thier insructors as well as the course, I passed my first time with higher marks than I had hoped for.
Parent - - By hotwork (*) Date 03-10-2008 11:35
Myself and 2 others from my company took the 2 weeks at Hobart and none of us passed, The instructor said they continue to make the test harder each year. Not that it was not hard when you took it but I am not not sure what to think the D1.1 and Part b were crazy hard and had a lot of tricky wording, I feal that maybe I could pass the code portion but I do not get a good feeling about the part b, and we stayed there for the hole 2 week even the weekends and studied every minute we had. Any suggestions?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-10-2008 12:19
It sounds to me like you just didn't allow yourself enough time to be fully prepared for the test, this is a mistake an awful lot of people make.  While there may be 10's of thousands of current CWI's, the testing is NOT a cake walk, if you come expecting the 40 hour "pre-test" seminar to TEACH you what you should already know, you're in for heartache and in most cases, failure.

I've been a CWI continuously since 1980 and I'll tell you, everytime the 9-year testing renewal comes up, I pucker and would never even attempt it without the refresher course.  When I took my very first exam I had studied non-stop for six months and I mean every available hour of my day.  I don't mean to sound disrespectful but it just doesn't sound like you were prepared and maybe even hadn't taken the study seriously.

Knuckle down, try it again!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-10-2008 13:21
I would have to say that there are many reasons why a person might fail. One is stated by jon200013. This may not be your case, but does happen alot. Other reasons might or might not be, not actually having the background to be eligable to take the test, and I am by no means saying this is your case, just things I have seen in the past. Study habits, as well as a misconception that not just Hobart but any course, is supposed to make you pass the test. They are not intended to do anything but prepare you. You must have the background in the industry, as well as an open mind. I have seen book educated engineers, very sharp fellows go into the test thinking they already knew everything they needed to know and fail miserably as a result of thier attitude towards the preparatory classes. Again I am not saying that any of these is the reason you had trouble with the test. I would need more info on your actual background, as well as study habits, length of personal preparation and what your true feelings towards the test are. Also your long or short term goals for achieving this cert. could very well have an impact on your results. As for me personally, I went into it knowing that I had a very strong background in the welding and metal joining industry, but far from knowing all there is to know. I studied for 3 months prior to Hobart. And I was probably the biggest question asker as well as one of the only people to run my questions down to a solid answer rather than taking an answer that I really did not fully understand and stopping. I also knew when I started that I was going to make a carreer out of this and that I was not going to do just structural. I planned on delving into all fields of inspection from piping to bridge to railroad, and anywhere that I could go to be the most well rounded CWI that I could be. Did Hobart still have thier retest garauntee? Keep me posted on your progress.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-10-2008 13:47
jrw159, very well said.  As I've indicated many, many times publically, in this Forum, the best thing 33 years of experience in our industry has taught me is how little I REALLY know.  That's part of what makes our field so special and rewarding.  We all have specialties in which we may have slightly better depth than some of our counterparts in industry and this Forum helps merge the minds if you will and broaden our depths as a whole.

The CWI exam was originally intended to be of "generic value" that meaning it sought to assure a broad level of welding knowledge rather than a specific knowledge.  Things seem to be evolving... whether they are for the better is a matter of personal interpretation of program changes, but the CWI Program is certainly among, if not "the" most recognizable welding inspection program in the world and, in my opinion, well worth pursuing.

Best of luck and take heart, I once knew a person who took the exam 6 times before he finally struck gold!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-10-2008 14:14
People learn different ways. If you are interested in the topic of study, its much easier. Self study is a great way to supplement classes. The familarity with a subject can greatly increase the learning experience.

I would suggest going through the study materials provided. If you come across some things you are having trouble understanding some people here may be able to help you get familar with them.

What industry do you work in ?

Gerald Austin
http://weldingdata.com/
Parent - - By hotwork (*) Date 03-11-2008 10:33
Thanks for all the input it really helps, a little about my back ground,I have been in the welding industry for about 30 years mostly in the manufacturing side I was with Great Dane Trailer for 20 years and now in the lift truck manufacturing industry In the last year have taken a position doing all of our Companies training including the welding and testing of new welders this reguires the visual examination of weld test plates witch we would like to start doing in house this is why I am trying to become a CWI. In responce I my not have had the time to prepare that I needed this was done on short notice so this time I may be better prepared but we did give it 100% during the 2 weeks we were there. It did not help not having any experiance with the Structrial part or the welding, we do only GMAW in my areas.It is something I will need to learn. I am not making excuses just need to study more.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 12:05
Hotwork, I understand perfectly!  When I took my very first test, I opened the booklet, looked at the questions and was panic struck! 

Even after continuous self study for 6 months, the 40 hour pre-course I wonder what the hell am I doing here???  None the less, I was lucky, there are "tricks" you can learn about taking this test to increase your chances but in the end, if you're not really prepared, it's likely you won't do well. 

Take heart, study up the areas where you had problems, know them front back and sideways because the test material DOES change!!!  Still, if you know your stuff, you'll make it! ;-)  Good luck!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 12:21
Guys, I freaked out too when I saw that there were materials and questions about some idiosyncrasies with those materials......I thought to myself, I've never been exposed to those materials before in my life, how am I supposed to know what happens if this material is held at a certain temperature for X amount of time? Or what phases it goes through....At the time I worked for 15 years for a Structural Steel fabricator and we only dealt with mild steel and here I am trying to learn about materials that I have zero experience with....I had to buckle down and learn as much as I could about these materials. But it all worked out and I passed on the first time through....you have to learn where your weaknesses are and concentrate on learning all you can about those and let your experience serve for the parts that you do know well.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 14:42
hotwork, It sounds like you are on the right track with the right attitude to succeed. Again, does Hobart still have a retest garauntee?
Parent - - By hotwork (*) Date 03-11-2008 15:31
No you must pay the entire amount if you want to take the entire 40 hrs the ReExam cost is $595.00 for the test and $600.00 for the last week covering d1.1 and part b I think that is what I will do.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 15:44
I am sorry to hear they no longer offer that option, but as I said you are on the right track. Keep your head in your study materials and stay focused, you will succeed.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 19:26
I spoke with one of the instructors that I know well and he has confirmed that 2 years ago they stoped giving the garauntee do to more difficult test structures. This in turn obviously affected thier success rate, but I still believe that Hobart probably has one of the best courses and one of the highest success rates for CWI, purely opinion though.
Parent - - By hotwork (*) Date 03-12-2008 10:54
Thanks for all your input it is a big help talking with others that have been through it , if anyone has pratice test let me know I have used the ones I have so much I know the anwsers before I look them up.Let me know if you have any suggestions I am retesting in June so I have a lot of work to do.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-12-2008 11:03
Here is one solid piece of advice.

Even if you know the answer on a CWI test question.. Alawys look it up anyway.  There could be a footnote that makes the answer totally different. 

This is a tactic the test writers use frequently in the CWI exam.
Parent - By hotwork (*) Date 03-12-2008 12:33
Thanks, we were warned about that and there was a question on the test that the anwser was in the footnotes.
Parent - - By Boon (**) Date 03-12-2008 13:27
If I understand Hotwork correctly the main reason to become a CWI is to be qualified to test welders in house or within the company. I always thought that testing of welders must be witness by third party and also test like radiography etc. are required besides visual inpection. If a CWI is not working for a third party or inspection company, what should be the actual role to perform if he/she is working in a manufucturing company.     

Regards
Boon
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-12-2008 13:52
Lots of companies use in house personell for inspection work and for welder performance qualification testing.

A 3rd party inspector is nice but not always required (check code and contract doccuments)  Same with the CWI designation... Lots of inspectors are not CWI's.

What kind of test for in house welders?  The code or company standard practice/quality manual will tell you if bends, x-ray, visual,  or some other type of inspection are required.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 13:57 Edited 03-12-2008 14:00
Actually there are instances where a third party is not required to witness the actual test, but in some instances it is required. What will determine this will be customer requirements, your quality procedures, and if you are certified through IAS, AISC, or ISO. In my situation I am the in house CWI and can test the welders but must have the test piece and my documentation of the test sent to our third party CWI for NDE or DE depending on test requirements. Again this will depend alot on what the individual situation is. I have also seen in the past, a third party inspector sign off on an in house inspectors tests due to the level of confidence that has been instilled in the third party by in house inspection and procedures.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI TEST