Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CAN STANDARD OR CODE BE SAID EXPIRED ???
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 03-11-2008 02:34
Dear All

May I know about the expiration of codec or standard??? example : If there is asme code section VIII 2007, can we say ASME VIII 2004 would be expired???
Who, When, How, Where, What can say that code be expired??

Regards
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-11-2008 10:31
I can only speak for AWS codes, and yes they do expire.  To find out if you have the latest edition you need to contact the publisher, usually via website and look up the latest edition.
For example D1.1 comes out every two years, so they haven't released/ published the 2008 version yet so we are all working to the 2006 edition still.  But that makes my 2004 outdated.

There are instances when a contract will call for an older version say 1998.  I guess in theory your supposed to use that, but I don't have a library full of old outdated codes.  I do save the old one's, I don't throw them out just because a newer one came out but I don't have every edition, and I think the contract needs to be changed to call for "the latest edition" instead of an outdated version.

Try looking AMSE up and search for whatever code it is and find the latest edition, then you'll know what you have.
Good Luck, Chris
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 11:26
Technically the answer is yes. However; It's usually the case that contract documents will stipulate "latest edition" That latest edition will be the one most recent to the date of contract signing. Using a for instance, the most recent code for projects that started post 2004 will be 2006 addenda ASME or AWS D1.1 2006.

Everyone has to play by the same rule book when building anything to a specific code. ASME puts out code cases, which are typically modifications of the current year code usually derived from inquiries. It's rare that those are restrictive, and will usually be additive instead. For instance:
Case 2235-9
Use of Ultrasonic Examination in Lieu of Radiography
Section I; Section VIII, Divisions 1 and 2; and
Section XII
It used to be that these code cases expired. As of March 11, 05 they remain active until anulled by the relevant ASME committee. Typical case of this annullment would be the inclusion of it in the main body such as Section VIII etc, or the information was special case only. In the case of 2235-9, it's in it's ninth revision of which I expect to be incorporated in the near future given the detailed description of TOFD in ASME section V 2007.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 11:58
Gents, with all due respect, I agree and disagree. 

Codes do NOT expire, Code Cases do expire. 

It may be possible that you don't hold the latest edition of the Code but that doesn't invalidate that Code Edition.  However, as Gerald points out, if your Contract documents require latest edition and you held an earlier edition you would be out of compliance with the Contract; but the Code you held would remain a good and valid document, just not applicable to your contract.

From my experience, "Latest Edition" is intended to be construed as that edition in effect at the award of Contract (unless otherwise stipulated).  From a managerial perspective, imagine how difficult it might become to revise programs, procedures, etc., for a long term project?  The Front Matter of ASME Codes explains this nicely stating (paraphrased) that "this edition is not intended to be applied retroactively" and other similar verbiage.

That said, ASME considers use of a new Code Edition mandatory within 6 months from issue date.  What that means is, if in January 2007 a new ASME Code is issued and a contract let in a Code State or Country in July 2007, the latest edition of the Code (2007) should be applied to NEW contracts.

Chime in folks!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 13:17
Jon,

With all due respect, you need to look up the recent information on the various code cases.
A quote from the heading of code case 2235-9

"The ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Standards Committee took action to
eliminate Code Case expiration dates effective March 11, 2005. This means that
all Code Cases listed in this Supplement and beyond will remain available for
use until annulled by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Standards Committee."

They no longer expire at least for the referenced supplement.

As you stated, ASME considers it mandatory within 6 months from date of issue for new edition of the code. Therefore, unless stipulated by contract documents, the previous edition expires for validity within that 6 months. I did mention that the edition considered valid is the edition and addenda at contract signing date.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 15:29
Cool, I learn something every day!!!  Thanks Gerald!
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-12-2008 11:13
It depends on when the contract was signed and what the contract stipluates. If a contract was signed in 2004, well then that was the code that was considered in the bid.

If a new edition of the code comes out prior to the start of work, that does not necessarily mean it applies. If it has changed and the new code requirements will cost the contractor additional money well they deserve a change order to compensate them. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 11:29
I believe we all agreed on that, and yes, if someone trys to institute a new year code not yet out at the time of contract, then that is a change order as you say.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 13:13 Edited 03-12-2008 15:23
Step lightly in this mine field gentlemen.

There are differences between different code bodies and the philosophy of their "thought process".

In the case of AWS structural welding codes, the latest edition is not automatically applicable. In the case of a new construction, the applicable building code mandated by the state or municipality may be several years behind in adopting a structural welding code. For instance, the state legislature may adopt a specific edition of the IBC which list the specific edition of AWS D1.1 to be used as the basis of design, fabrication, and erection. However, the same state may have an addenda that is only published on a "as needed basis" and may be several years old  (read decade or more) that modifies the edition of the structural welding code to be used.

The edition of AWS D1.1 that is listed in the Thirteenth Edition of the AISC Steel Construction Manual (most recent) is AWS D1.1-2004. The inspector has no right to impose the requirements of a later edition of AWS D1.1 unless a more recent edition is referenced in the contract/project specifications. 

I typically ask the engineer of record (in writing) which edition of the structural welding code is applicable. It is amazing to me how many inspectors fail to ask this simple question and attempt to use the wrong edition of the code. The fabricator has every right to run the third party inspector off the site in that case.

The situation is similar when inspecting existing structures. I always ask the engineer which AWS code is to be utilized for the inspection of existing welds. It is common to have existing welds that do not meet the requirements of newer codes. They may have been acceptable at the time they were fabricated and erected or they may not have been inspected when the structure was erected or the engineer may want to "upgrade" the existing steel before installing new work. In any event it is best to ask the engineer what edition of the structural welding code is to be used to evaluate the existing work.

Don't be surprised if the engineer hesitates in his response! You may have asked a question he hadn't thought about!

I just did a little digging and this is what I can come up with;

The applicable IBC for my state is the 2003 edition
It referes to the 9th edition of the AISC steel construction manual for Allowable Stress Design. In turn AISC refers to AWS D1.1-88
It refers to the 1999  edition of the AISC SCM for LRFD, which D1.1 applies is up in the air, none of my projects involved LRFD and I don't have a copy of that AISC on my desk.
It refers to AISC HSS 2000 for tubular steel which gets me to AWS D1.1-2000.

However, the EOR can specify a later edition of AISC or AWS Structural Welding Codes for work where he is permitted by the client to do so.

Do codes ever expire? Apparently they do only when the state in which you reside adopts a more recent version of its building code.

That should clarify things to the point it is as clear as mud!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-13-2008 03:31
Good answer Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CAN STANDARD OR CODE BE SAID EXPIRED ???