Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln idealarc 500/500 Question
- - By jimmyjeep Date 03-12-2008 04:01
Can anyone give me any info on this welder?. I have been looking for a 300/300 and I found this one for a really good price, but I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples besides the higher power. Thanks.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-12-2008 04:13 Edited 03-12-2008 07:02
I don't have any experience with the Lincoln, but from My experience with the Miller/Airco 600 amp machine I suggest You look into how LOW it will go if You plan to do low amperage work. For what it is worth, Mine starts at 20 amps. You could look it up on the Lincoln website, there is a section on "obsolete" manuals.
Parent - - By jimmyjeep Date 03-12-2008 04:20
I think it may be a little high powered. I believe the 300/300 is perfect but I still am trying to find out, just " how low will it go"!  Thanks.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-12-2008 07:02
Jimmy, If You are not a "RED BLOODED" person You might also consider the Miller A B/P 330 or Airco Heliwelder 300. These are the same machine, the Miller being blue, and the Airco being orange. They are similar to a Lincoln 300/300 in capability and price. Allso see what I added above.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-15-2008 08:01
I just saw a 500/500 on eBay, it is not a TIG ready model, and has a moving core. The moving core means You can not have remote amperage controll. If You are still looking at a 500/500 check to be sure it is TIG capable.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-12-2008 08:05
Hello Dave, Miller had an older 500 amp tig machine which I believe they referred to as having "goldstar" technology, if my memory serves me correctly, this machine was considered stable down to around 2 or 3 amps. Lawrence may have some recollection of this particular model of machine and could possibly shed a bit more information on it one way or another. I had one of these about ten years ago, but the memory isn't firing on all 8 so I can't remember the exact specifics. I would tend to agree with the 300 amp machines as a good choice, the 500's and 600's would probably dim half the lights in town if you throttled down on them and your electrical meter on your shop might go into orbit. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-12-2008 11:10
Those are pretty good questions.

I learned GTAW on a a Lincoln 300/300 and several old P&H's.   I liked the 300/300 quite alot at the time.  It was pretty simple and we welded some pretty thin stuff with it (down to 0.020 inconel)

I can't say if a 500/500 would have the same low end... But the owners manual might.  It might also provide some useful data on power draw while the thing is running idle.

You might also double check to make sure that the machine your looking at can run on a single phase service if you are planning on this thing living in your garage.

We made boatloads of X-ray quality welds in both Aluminum and exotics with those Lincoln's and P&H power supplies.... The P&H's diddent' even have balence control.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-26-2008 02:56
Those old P&H machines were the best darn analog GTAW power sources out there - back in the day!!!

Repaired two of them... one needed another fan motor after being around for a gazillion years, and the other was the main contactor that finally gave out... A testament to quality engineered power sources!!! Beautiful running machines also ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-13-2008 04:36
   Allan, My Airco 600 is the same as a Miller 360 A-B/P. I havn't ever measured the low end amps, but the low range on the face plate starts at 20 amps. This model is one of those old Gold Star machines, it has the old plate rectifires with the gold star designation. Miller doesn't refer to this model as a Gold Star anymore, as there is a newer design with that name. I can only use low range on this machine because I don't have it on a heavy enough circut, and because I only have a 200 amp torch on it.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-15-2008 19:22
Can you afford the electrical consumption? With 240 VAC primary you will need at least a 150 amp circuit breaker and wiring to get any use out of the machine and the watt meter is going to spin$$$. If it has power factor correction you can get by with smaller wiring and breakers but it still will use the same amount of power.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2008 04:26
My Airco 600 does have PFC, and being limited by the 200 amp torch It ran fine on a #6 wire @ 240 VAC. I can not say how the Lincoln will perform on a light service, as I have heard that some machines pull a heavy surge on start up. My Airco Heliwelder 600 and Miller Syncrowave 300 don't have a problem running on a light service, Both of these have PFC. The Syncrowave 300 has a verry modest standby draw, the 600 pulls about 40 amps on standby.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Lincoln idealarc 500/500 Question