Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualifying Carbon Arc & Plasma Arc Gouging Procedure?
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 03-13-2008 16:51
Is there a requiremnt in  D1.1 or any Section 9 requirement to have a qualified procedure for arc gouging of any type? Or for a welder to be tested for this?  Did a search and could find nothing, yet I cannot believe procedures or welders are not required to be qualified for this.  If so, how would you do this?  Thoughts? 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-13-2008 17:06
for D1.5 fracture critical (critical repairs), i think there is. Also, a few DOT's have a requirement. It's not so much a qualified procedure, just an approved procedure(by DOT). I just completed a FCP for my QC manual, so it's a current addition to my memory.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 03-13-2008 19:52
Tom,

I would get all pertinent information from an arc gouging manual and D1.1 and write a procedure based on that, adding any other information that might be helpful.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-13-2008 20:20
Here are the paragraphs with the word "gouging" from Sec IX. These paragraphs are referenced by other sections of the code. There are no requirements in Section IX or D1.1 to qualify gouging.

QW-401.4 Nonessential Variable (Procedure).
A change in a welding condition which will not
affect the mechanical properties of a weldment
(such as joint design, method of back gouging or
cleaning, etc.)

For vessels or parts of vessels constructed with
P-No. 11A and P-No. 11B base metals, weld grooves
for thickness less than 5/8 in. (16 mm) shall be
prepared by thermal processes when such processes
are to be employed during fabrication. This groove
preparation shall also include back gouging, back
grooving, or removal of unsound weld metal by
thermal processes when these processes are to be
employed during fabrication.

A change in the method of back gouging.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
http://weldingdata.com/
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 03-14-2008 01:50
Some structural steel fab shops train their welders to back-gouge per a simple written procedure that incorporates D1.1 - Section 5.15.4
The results of the training were impressive. Many, if not all of the gouging met the roughness requirements...no grinding
ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualifying Carbon Arc & Plasma Arc Gouging Procedure?