Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Porosity in Low Hy when initiating the weld
- - By Goose-em (**) Date 03-13-2008 12:26
One of my welders asked me if I had ever had trouble with porosity holes while initiating the arc while welding with 7018.  I have never noticed this myself but he says he has had this problem forever and forever to him is about 50 years.

All rods are kept in a temperature controlled oven before use.  He uses 1/8 mostly and most of his welding is done on small diameter pipe and 5 square tube.

In my opinion it is caused because the shielding gas that is normally emmitted during welding as the flux burns off does not immediately take effect thereby allowing atmospheric gasses into the weld pool when the arc is first initiated.

What are your opinions?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-13-2008 12:57
Hello Goose-em, two things come to mind, he may be starting the weld as he would be with E6010 and long-arcing, or he may have knocked too much flux off the end of the rod and not had sufficient flux to provide the shielding as you mentioned. If these are new rods, he may be getting radical with a tapping motion upon the start and literally be knocking the flux off the end of the rod in the process of starting. Just my $.02. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 03-13-2008 13:32
If long arcing is the problem, try a short arc length of no more than 1/8" to prevent porosity.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 03-13-2008 13:34
Typically when I've encountered problems with this it is just like aevald said. He's either striking the arc and long arcing (too much voltage) or breaking too much flux off the end when starting. This especially can be a problem for some guys with 7018 when doing a cold rod restrike. Often times they will break away too much flux when trying to clear away the solidified slag and fingernail that is typical on the end of a partially burned 7018.

How's the weather in Texas? Still snowing up here.
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 03-13-2008 17:41
Thanks for the reply.  I kinda figured that's what you would say. 

I see you are stil lurking around.

Weather is fine come on down.  81 yesterday and 71 for the weekend.  No snow in sight!!!!!!!  There is a downside though, I will need to mow my lawn pretty soon and get a tractor in to grade it out after I went 4 wheeling in my truck in the back yard. That mud was deep I almost got stuck! H was laughing her rear off, I have pictures.

I been trying to call.  What you been up to other than ice skating and ice fishing.  The thought of you in a pair of ice skates almost made me fall out of my chair with laughter!  Hey mom look it's a grizzly bear on skates!

Will you be coming down for the expo this year.  Headed to Vegas in November?  I think I am going to try to get out there if the old boss man will pony up the dough.  Our friend that has been working in Seattle is on his way here, he starts on the 24th of March.  I guess he decided that all the rain was killing him like it was me.  Or maybe it is just the fact that I bought a house that is 4 times as nice and half the price he paid for his.  Oh yeah and my commute is 3 minutes instead of 2 hours for the same distance traveled.

I heard there is an opening down in Mexico, it never snows, the beer is good and you get all the burritos you can eat!

Take it easy pard.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-14-2008 17:57
It's been said but; Lotsa heat push it in. If you long arc LH it isn't the same as downhill rod at all. try a dragging angle with a buncha heat, stuffing it as you go
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-13-2008 14:09
Initiate your arc slightly ahead of where you intend to start your weld.  Move your electrode back to where you intend your weld deposit to start, then deposit your bead. This technique allows the electrode to establish the proper arc length and arc temperature for complete fusion, and with this proper arc temperature, when the electrode is back at the arc initiation point, the porosity that may have occurred will, in theory, be "burned out".
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Porosity in Low Hy when initiating the weld