Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is your favorite work boot?
- - By Root Pass (***) Date 03-11-2008 01:37
I found a thread on the forum that was close to this but not quite. It is getting to be that time again to buy new boots. I weld outside(not standing on concrete) and have bought Redwings for the last 10 years or so but I think I'm ready for a change. They don't seem to last much more than a year. What are your favorite boots and why?
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 03-11-2008 02:59
bought a pair of danners last year, most comfortable shoe I have ever wore, but hard to find
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 03-11-2008 03:29
Which ones did you buy?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-11-2008 10:36
Wolverines.  Very comfortable.  Doesn't really feel like I'm wearing boots.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-11-2008 11:08
I'm with Scott, just switched to Wolverines last year after 7 years of Red Wings, and they are very comfortable and lasted longer in the soles.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2008 13:29
I agree, Wolverines have been the best fit and comfort I've found.
Parent - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 03-11-2008 19:30
If you have wider feet Red Wings are great in the wide feet area.   4e,  waterproof (and they mean it), and comfort sole.   200 bucks.   I bought some danners, georgia, carolina's,  and none of them were wide enough.  I moved and found a dealer in Red wings and didn't know they did boots.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 03-11-2008 20:29
look into White's or Nicks, the style the firefighters use. the seams all face downward and don't let the hot sparks collect and burn-out the stitchings, they are also rebuildable and last me a solid year and a half before i have to have them rebuilt. very good strong boot in my opinion. price tag is around 360 dollars.

JJ
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 03-11-2008 13:17
they are the sport model. I get the numbers for ya
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-11-2008 13:43
Wolverine Durashocks, stock number 04109
Parent - - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 03-11-2008 14:51
I wore Redwings for 15 years, tried Wolverine, then switched to Timberland. They are without a doubt the most comfortable work boot I've ever worn
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-11-2008 18:33
so far Justins, I've had alot of problems with my feet having a high arch and so far the justins have helped alot but I am getting some custom inserts in a couple of weeks so that should help even more
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-11-2008 18:50
doc martins. 2 of these boots weigh the same as one of any other
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-11-2008 18:56
I would stay clear of doc martins I've had two pair of them and they only lasted me like 3 months. I've spent over 350 in 6 months on shoes and if you have done the same as me then you need to get your butt to a foot doctor and get some custom inserts because you may have a real problem with your feet.

Chris
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 03-11-2008 18:59
Wolverine durashock slipons in the summer, Doc Martin gaucho slipons in the winter or if steel toes are required. The Wolverines are the most durable and cooler boots but Docs wear like slippers and are warmer.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-11-2008 20:24
I prefer those OSHA approved penny loafers I see all the suits wearing out in the field.  Wish I could get my hands on some with DR. Shols cushions in them.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 03-18-2008 01:51
I have 2 pair of Dr. Martins that I got from Academy sports. I love them. 99 bucks a pair. I have had one pair for nearly 4 years and they are all scratched up because the cat likes them too.

I just recently bought a pair of H&H steel toe cowboy boots. I tried on my normal size but they were way too tight so I bought a half size bigger but now my feet are swimming in them after they felt good walking around in them at the store. They didn't conform to my feet after months of working in the mud and rain. It seems as if they  had just stretched out too much. Still a good boot though.

I am actually looking for a pair of boots along those lines that are rattlesnake proof. Not looking for Mossey Oak type hunting boots either. Snake protective cowboy boots. Any leads?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-12-2008 03:45 Edited 03-12-2008 03:49
I just replaced a pair of Timberland Pro boots, they were like a sport/hiker with steel toes & shanks. Those were the most comfortable shoes I ever had, right from day 1.They were about $100, I got 4 years out of them, but I don't work as much as I might due to My health issues. They don't make that model anymore :-( :-( :-(  I went to a local shoe repair shop who carries some of the old brands, and got a pair of "Worx" boots, an import by Red Wing. They are a discontinued model, $35. They took a little getting used to, but after they got good & wet and I wore them untill dry they fit OK.
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 03-11-2008 21:34
i have bunions on the insides of the balls of my feet (wait, that didn't sound right...ha!).  I have to get the widest boot I can find...EEE is great, but they're hard to find.  EE is ok depending on the style.  I've had these Red Wings slip-ons for a year now with the custom in-soles that they heat up, put in your boot and you put your feet in them to mold your foot pattern.  I love them!
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 03-11-2008 22:44
It's getting harder and harder to find a boot that can be re-soled.  I hate that.  (Fortunately I mostly drive a desk and don't go through a whole lot of boots.)  My current pair can't be re-soled; they'll have to go in the garbage when they wear out.  Pisses me off, but I bought 'em anyway cuz YOU try to find a whole lot of selection in a 5-1/2 wide.

Nothing to offer, just whining.

Hg
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-12-2008 16:41
RedWing does it for me.  I've sloshed 'em through everything from raw sewage to jet fuel without a drop ever getting in.  The sole is replaceable and they are very comfortable.  IMO.
Parent - - By bamafn003 (*) Date 03-14-2008 02:44
ariat,after they are broke in very comfortable for me an have lasted 2 years welding outside and in the mud
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 03-14-2008 04:41
ill put my 2 cents in on this one  i have been in some sort of construction my whole life and i have spent high dollar on work boots  and they dont last 6 months to a year  i went to walmart and got these bramas steel toe   45 bucks  they are on year number two  they are hard to break in but once you do man   the tops of them are coming apart but they have a flat bottom sole which i like i dont want a heel catching on something   i am hell on boots but these things have takin a pounding and are still in one piece  and 45 bucks  keep your name brands  ill stick to these bad boys
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 03-14-2008 12:06
Whites steel toe loggers. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-14-2008 18:05
BUNNY BOOTS.

Simple fact: bunny boots = keep your toes.

Simple fact: anything else = lose your toes.

Lifelong Alaskan here. Got some stories to tell if you are interested.......
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 03-14-2008 19:59
what are bunny boots?
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-15-2008 12:17
SD, post a pic of them Bunny Boots on your feet.  I'm with mountainman, what are they?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 14:29
Military airborn boots. They have a vapor barrier between your foot and the cold air. I don't know what temp they are rated for, but believe me when I say they saved my toes. My uncle lost his on the same trip. We fell through a creek on our snowmobiles and as we were trying to walk back to the cabin, an Ice fog came in (-40*). The humidity didn't allow for a fire. We were rescued while sitting under a tree hypothermic, and ready to die. He was wearing sorrels, I had my bunnies on.

Ah, the good times......
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 03-15-2008 16:12
Are you talking about the mickey mouse boots
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 19:12
yep, you got it. Mickeys, Bunnies, Whiteys. Airborns............
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-16-2008 17:55
sourdough , also called north slope tennis shoes . back at you later next week . good luck . willie
Parent - By hurricunning (*) Date 03-16-2008 03:16
I use white Bunnies when it drops to below -20C.  Get them from Military Surplus much cheaper than Welding Outfitters.  They are so warm it is a revelation when you put them on.  There are black ones available that have a Fibreglass/Kevlar toe cover also. 

Dunlop Puroforts for coldish/mud/rain days.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-14-2008 21:19
Carolina EH  with steel toe and met guards
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 03-16-2008 00:04
I have gotten the best mileage out of Georgia slip on boots. They are tough to fit right and take a while to break in, but once that is over I loved them. I also am "hell" on any kind of footwear. I have tried all the common name brands including most mentioned above. Just can't get them to last like the G's slipon. I will have to admit that I am currently in a pair of carharts after a friend reccomended them, and they are very comfortable and on 1 1/2 years and still look and feel great. I may have to change my favorite.
Parent - - By Fitter4life (*) Date 03-15-2008 17:17
I just bought a pair of thorogoods. They are the most comfortale boots I've ever had. You can look them up on thebootpro.com.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 19:09
Use my redwings now that it's warmer. I wore Caterpiller boots the last couple of years. Man those last forever. For the price, they rock. Don't know if you guys have Murdochs stores down there, but they carry them.
Parent - - By gawelder (**) Date 03-16-2008 02:35
I have worn the"Pecos" Style 11" Redwing steel toe boots for about ten years. they last about one to two years.The pair I'm wearing now are two years old,steel caps are shining but they still wear good.also where I work we are required to wear a steel toed boot with an electrical rating on them.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-17-2008 07:53 Edited 03-17-2008 07:59
I would have to agree that "some" wolverines are great COMFORTABLE boots.  Red wings hold up to anything...if they fit you well, best choice (never found any that fit me right).  When I use to do HEAVY work (lots of arc gouging, sledge work, cutting till I could not stand the smell)  it was all e-tech sold by zee safetee...full tosul guards, steel sole shanks  whole nine yards...they weighed a ton but they were always ready no matter what period.....never ever wore a set out.   If you aint doing a lot of flame work or Mig.....timberlands are like wearing pillows on your feet and they last very well...waterproof and temp proof.......consider them if you are going to work on concrete for a long time.  Never had to to do any work in sub zero temps so I cannot comment on that.

My limited $.02 on this one
Tommy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is your favorite work boot?