Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / d1.1
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-14-2008 17:59
Could anything be simpler? 3/8 for evry inch porosity. Tell me I'm wrong..........
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-14-2008 18:40
Well, usually porosity goes by where there is one there are many, but yeah thats a pretty easy requirement huh.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 14:45
Not used to it. Did a lot of structural in Anchorage, Ak, but was just a pup back then. Trying to pollish up on my structural. Getting quite spoiled on this latest job. Working 10 getting paid for 12, and get a check every week. Miss seeing vast expanses of pipe though. Nothing like throwing down a root pass and leaving the others in the dust...........
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-15-2008 23:32
Actually yes it can. D1.1 only addresses piping porosity, not your standard run of the mill round hole. There are no other rejection/acceptance provisions in the 2006 edition. However; a lot of companies will add that criteria or similar which is in their right to do so.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-17-2008 02:36
Actually, it's not quite that simple.  For porosity 1/32" or larger, you can have 3/8" in an inch AND no more than 3/4" of porosity in any 12".  And that is for statically loaded fillets and for groove welds that are not transverse to the direction of computed tensile stress.

There are other conditions that are more restricted.

Sorry 'bout that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / d1.1