Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / b31.3
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-15-2008 14:53
Just wanting to hear from some folks that do structural on a regular basis.

I'm like a kid in a candy store repairing this 150,000 barrel tank, ( that's right 150,000 BARRELS). Manlifts, echos, lh going uphill all day, the smell of the grill firing up at 11.45. A pat on the back after the xrays come out. It's something different for me, and I like it. Pipe is my forte, but it's good to be diversfied.

When I first walked in that sucker, I couldn't believe how big it was. Pretty dang cool...........
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-15-2008 23:36
Im a little confused about your post heading. B31.3 is process piping. tanks are typically API 620, 650, 653 etc.
Parent - - By welderdan (*) Date 03-18-2008 00:31
I don't know about where your at, but here we don't get a "pat on the back" for making our shots, its just kinda expected of us
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-18-2008 13:47
dan,

Coming from someone who's taken a lot of those shots, I have went out of may to give a welder who radiographs well and consistantly a pat on the back or otherwise encourage him. Radiographers on tank jobs who care about their dose should all do that.
When a welder does well, it means no reshots and tracer shots. That means lower dose. There is typically no place to run when you crank your shots when your up 5 courses, the best you can do is crank and move that slow A** lift a little out of the way.

I dunno about doughs experience, but from my perspective, I can see it happening.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By welderdan (*) Date 03-18-2008 23:35
ya sorry I was in a gripy mood last night, no offense, SD
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-16-2008 12:21
I understand your feeling. Going into "new worlds" related to welding has always been exciting. Even fab shps have something to offer as long as I can watch that little puddle.

I have yet to make a venture into the API pipeline world but hope to some day before my hands have to work without my eyes.

My favorite is boiler tubes. Especially on an outage where time is critical and its OK to work hard. Its like working a 6 hour day since time goes by so fast. I also like anything outdoors with a 7018. Ductwork, iron, pipe.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-16-2008 23:24
Dough, who did you hook up with to hire a rig welder to repair a BRT?
Please dont tell me Tanco!
Also those are medium sized BRT's. 125-150 foot diameter. Wait until you climb in a 300 or 340 footer. Yup, bigger than a football field. And you look at that floating roof and think how flat you will be if the sucker falls. There are not any of those in your part of the world.
BABRT's
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-17-2008 13:26
If it is Tanco, tell Dana and Jim West "Whazzup"!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / b31.3