Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Large O.D. Pipe Fit Up
- - By Bob Garner (***) Date 03-17-2008 19:03
We have some 48" diameter, 1" thick wall pipe that we are splicing with 3/4" thick internal sleeves at the joints.  I lost the name of the manufacturer that makes the equipment to get the out-of-round pipe and sleeve back into alignment for proper welding.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-17-2008 20:57
Here is a link that may help. http://www.mathey.com/products.htm

I have never used any of the large pipe products they have. Some of the pipeline hands on here can give you better suggestions. This may get you started.

Have a nice day
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 03-17-2008 21:08
That's it!  Thank you pipewelder.  Actually, a contractor is making these splices.  There is a gap because the pipe is slightly out-of-round.  The contractor is saying this is defective pipe and he wants an extra to "repair" the gap.  Our contract drawings specifically direct the contractor to select the sleeve size to prevent gaps (beyond aws requirements for fillet welds).  In my experience, large O.D. pipe is seldom round and pulling it into round with the Mathey Dearman equipment is just part of the job.

Does anybody disagree?

Thanks again.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-18-2008 12:53
Hi Bob,

Remember these words of wisdom (that some guy a lot smarter than me came up with) :

"In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

In your situation I would say this; if the pipe is supplied by you and is out of specification (ie - excessive out of roundness), I would expect you to compensate the contractor for any work / equipment costs that go beyond what the contract was for (presumably normal fit up and welding).

If the contract indicates the piping "mismatch" and has wording that requires the contractor to make corrections; or the contractor is supplying the pipe, your take is correct in my opinion.

Charles
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-18-2008 13:40
There is a great deal of ovality allowed in 48" pipe. Familiarize yourself with ASME/ASTM spec for pipe tolerances.
If a contractor accepts a job and has experience in these big bores he will understand this. If you have tolerances beyond the spec you have recourse to the pipe manufacturer. If the pipe is in tolerance tough nuggies to your sub. He should know. I'm gussing he underbid to get the work and now expects you to soften the blow for him. Happens all the time.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-18-2008 13:43
And the thing is Deermans are very expensive and often largely ineffective with stronger stiffer materials. Carbonsteel you're fine. Some of the HSLA's, for get it. Your're better off with spiders and porta-powers.The good thing is, you can crawl up inside 48". So if you have to push the ID you can get the stuff back out again easily.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-18-2008 15:02
pipe is never round, and between thickness and dia tolerances your allowed a lot.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 03-19-2008 16:00
To finish this out -  the contractor has acknowledged responsibility for the poor fit up and will provide the additional detail steel for the splice connection.  All is good with the world.  Ya gotta love it when someone takes responsibility (on this one, though, his responsibility was staring him right in the face).

Weld on everybody!

Bob G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Large O.D. Pipe Fit Up