Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certified fab shop question....
- - By mtwelder Date 03-30-2008 01:32
Hi,

I don't ever hear much about it, but was wondering if it is possible to have a fabrication shop itself, advertised as certified. I'm not suggesting that there are certified welders working within that facility, but that the actual shop itself, meets some kind of obligations. Not sure what exactly it would require, if so, but I imagine it would have to pertain to the specific code and/or procedures being used. Perhaps it would be inspected or audited on a normal basis?

Anoyone have any info about this?

Thanks
Parent - - By mtwelder Date 03-30-2008 01:39
haa, so I believe I found my own answer after looking further into the AWS website. Although, anymore input would be great!

thanks.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2008 18:28
I am sure that any short investigation that you have conducted on the subject has quickly answered you question. If you advertize as being certified, you probably should be. In order to be certified by any entity you will have to meet certain requirements. In the welding and metal joining industry this will most certainly require you to certify your welders to meet the requirements of the code you have mentioned, and although you did not specify, unless it is FC2002, you will assuredly have to certify.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 03:55
ASME allows the welder to be qualified by testing the first production joint made by the welder or welders. So, it is possible to have no welders qualified at the start of the project for the work that has to be performed.

Actually, that's where FC2002 came up with the idea of qualifying the welders after the work was completed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 03-31-2008 05:32
4.19.1.1  D1.1 2006 also says the same thing! the first 15 inches of a production groove weld can be RT'd for welder Qualification
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 10:20
Our fab shop is AISC certified, and also carries a AWS Welding Fabricator certification as long as we maintain the AISC certification. The AISC certification helps us bid jobs were the contract spells out that the work is to be performed by an AISC certified fabricator.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-31-2008 11:29
AISC Certification doesn't seem to mean all that much around here sometimes.  We're bidding against other AISC fabricators and also those who are not.  If a non AISC fabricator is the lowest bidder, many times, AISC requirements are waived and the job goes to the lowest bidder.  Regardless, I still support the certification.  The frustrating thing is that these low bidders don't play by the rules.  They have very little knowledge of AWS, AISC, RCSC, and SSPC criteria and they take quality shortcuts that jeopardize structural integrity.  I just wish the EOR's would require third party inspectors in non-AISC plants during the fabrication process when the certification is waived.  I'm aware of the AISC's "No More Waivers", but if an AISC fabricator is outbid $150k on a job by a non AISC fabricator, and that fabricator gets hit with 50k in backcharges on the job, the owner still saves $100k.     
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 12:26
Scott,
Thank you for saying what I was thinking.......I just didn't type it. You worded it much better than I would have. It is very frustrating to lose bids to those that are non-certified knowing full well that the lowest bid didn't have enough money in the bid to perform the job per the specs. I guess they will get what they paid for...
Parent - - By mtwelder Date 04-02-2008 03:37
I appreciate the responses.....

thanks
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-02-2008 10:19
John, what does it take to get the AWS cert for your facility?  I'm curious what the differences are.  I can't imagine they would be that much more different, other than concentrating on more of the welding/ welding machine aspect.
BTY I agree with you both on the AISC waiver's issue.  It's not bad for us up here in New England, but I hear other parts of the country are different.
Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 11:45
Chris,
Just call AWS HQ in Miami and talk to them and tell them that you are interested, and let them know that you already have AISC certification. They will ask for a copy of the current cert and then issue the AWS Welding Fabricator cert and basically it says it is valid as long as you keep the AISC cert current. They will send a new cert after your AISC audit each year.
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 04-05-2008 13:25
Check your market area also, some governmental jurisdiction require "Approved Fabricator" status. Our shop is AISC certified, but we have Clark County County Nv, Las Angeles Ca, Portland Or., Salt Lake City Ut. and other certifications. (Most of these require the AISC certification) Some of these tend to be more stringent in the qualifications, and in our market, are required. More and more areas are jumping into the middle of "cerification" to get their cut of the pie, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better. But most of these entities are pushing this "no waiver" so this might be good.

ICC also offers a certification for fabricators, ISO proponents keep calling me (don't see that need yet).

The biggest key will be your market. You will need a well written Quality Mangement System no matter what route you may take.

Good luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certified fab shop question....