Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / code book
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 03-31-2008 03:46
i am studying to take the cwi exam in june and have started to dive into the code book....i am finding that some practice questions i have are relatively easy to find the answers for and some i just cannot find the answer too. i am using the d1.1 practice questions from the real educational seminar from aws in 2006.can anyone help with some tips as to any keywords to look for or a question to ask myself to know whether to look at a table or the index(and the index topics) for the questions that are not so obvious where to look.i would greatly appreciate any tips .
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2008 12:12
Moving quickly through the index is the key.

Virtually all your questions will have a key word or words that can be found in the index..

Now once you have the index at the correct key word, you must look use it to research the text, figures and tables that relate to your question... Any text, figure or table may have a footnote that has a bearing on your test question so you must look at each of them in order to be sure.

This is where a very few select tabs on tables will be a big help.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 12:37
I did as Lawrence did...used the index. However you still should know by looking at the reference whether the reference is going to be applicable to your question....no need spending time running references on something if it is going to send you to say...Section 2 but the question is about WPS qualification.
Also, Foot notes on these Tables and Figures can change the answer, so read them "fully", if they are referenced.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2008 18:18
John is exactly right.... and exactly Wright for that matter

If the indexed term is about pre qualified fillers look to section 3 for your information

If it about inspection look to section 6 for your information

Fabrication, Section 5 etc.

What I was not clear about is this.... If it is an inspection question and you find that the term is covered in both a table and the text in section 6... It is important to look at both (including all footnotes that apply) before comming to a determination, this applies not only to the test but to using the code book to make a determination in the field.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 18:35
Well said, my friend. Using the code book to its entirety will help you pass as well as be a better inspector in the field.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2008 20:14
Speaking of using the book in it's entirety....don't forget the Commentary...lots of insight to the code writer's intent is shared with us inspectors back there.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / code book