Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Medieval Apprenticeship
- - By thomasyyz (**) Date 03-31-2008 20:07
How times have changed, http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/jul/15/careers.work5,
in some places, http://historymedren.about.com/library/weekly/aa033001d.htm
I think an ******* wouldn't last long (maybe "hojopens3" should find out if he is on his boses **** list, or f--- that guy over)
hope you enjoy the read, I like the part where they show up without any notice.
Parent - By gshuma (**) Date 04-01-2008 00:49
My grandfather served an apprenticeship at Rolls Royce starting when he was 11 years old. He was a master machinist and he could also sew leather and do great carpentry. I didn't do the math but he came to the US as a young man in 1918.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-01-2008 02:58
    This link is dead wrong about the journyman staying on with the master He served the apprenticeship under. A journyman was REQUIRED to work for different employers in different villages, usually 6 months each for a period of years to broaden their skills, this is where the JOURNY part of journyman comes from. after this period they could become a Master. This is how the trades guilds worked in europe years back, in the present day US I know of no formal clasification beyond journyman.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 03:06
I'm not positive about this, but I believe the plumbers and electricians have a category of "Master" which is above the journeyman classification. I believe that is the "license" required to be a contractor in our area.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-01-2008 03:43
These guys will make you a "Master Welder" in a short seven months
http://www.weldingschool.com/programs.html

>gurgle<

Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-02-2008 04:37
Lawrence, Master welder in 7 months... Interesting. We all know it takes 4-5 years to become a journyman in most of the skilled trades.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-02-2008 04:34
Al, I believe You are right about the liscence being called a Master whatever. My experience is with in house industrial trades. For example, I am registered as a journyman tool and die maker with some department in Harisburg, Pa. but they have no clasification above that for My trade. A guy might refer to Himself as a master, but He might just as well claim to be king.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-02-2008 13:19
plumbing certifications are based on hours worked. Master plumber is something like 5000 hours of documented work experience. You have to work about 1500 hours to even be able to take the journeyman plumber license test.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-02-2008 20:13
Yeah 5-8000 hours sounds right, but I think those documented hours must be working under a Master plumber or electrician.
I remember an apprentice tool maker that was like 100 hours short of journeyman that had to quit and work somewhere else because the company cut back and the journeyman tool maker was cut.  The apprentice could not log his hours because he was no longer working under a journeyman.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 04-03-2008 00:19
that is correct
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-03-2008 04:53
  In Pensylvania, there are requirements for the number of apprentices allowed based on the number of journymen for a state approved apprenticeship. As this is a state requirement it is likely to differ from state to state. Here the state sets cretain minimums, like a tool & die apprenticeship is a minimum of 8,000 hours shop time and a certain number [I forget how many] at night school or an approved corospondence course, passing grades required. An employer can require more if they desire. The state has agents who visit a company offering an apprenticeship to verify that sufficient experience will be gained for approval.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 04-03-2008 11:17 Edited 04-03-2008 11:19
To my knowledge, in British Columbia, it's 5 years of experience including school time to even qualify to take the red seal/journeyman test.  Anyone that claims to be a master, or any school that claims to have a "Master" welder grade or program is just looking for trouble.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Medieval Apprenticeship