Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Oxyfuel cutting gouge repair by welding
- - By JLane Date 04-01-2008 16:14
To what level should a welder be qualified per D1.1 if performing edge repair of thermal cut plate?  The plate is cut on a pattern table and occasionally edge repair does require welding.  D1.1 Section 5.15.4 deals with the thermal cutting process and section 5.15.4.4 allows for repair by welding if approved by an Engineer.  The only thing that is unclear to me at this point is how should I qualify my welders.

Thanks is advance,

JLane
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-01-2008 16:52
have you looked at section 4 part c (06)
Parent - - By JLane Date 04-01-2008 17:58
I have looked at section 4c.  We qualify all of our production welders to this section using figure 4.30 as the test coupon.  What we're doing is training our burn operators in gouge repair and don't feel they can pass the multi-pass welds required to complete the figure 4.30 test coupon.  However, we feel they can produce a good single pass weld suitable for gouge repair purposes.  I was hoping there was a provision somewhere in the code that would allow for qualification to this level in unlimited thickness.

JLane
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 18:37
Look at figure 4.39 specimen for tack welder. then read 4.18.1.2 and 4.18.2.2 I think this would put you where you need to be. This is as easy of a test as there is, to my limited knowledge.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-01-2008 18:46
when is it a tack and when is it a PJP, for gouge repair?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 19:16
Good point, I am not sure. Whats your take on it? Showing some sort of welder qualification would insure a quick and easy sign off from EOR. Of course EOR could just as easily sign with no qualification.
Parent - - By JLane Date 04-01-2008 19:19
The only problem I see is that the weld required for gouge repair is not a tack weld as defined by AWS.  I would describe the weld joint as a PJP groove. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-01-2008 19:32
I would have to agree with that, I was focusing on the resulting limitations of a tack welder, and now you have me thinking again.
Parent - - By JLane Date 04-02-2008 13:38
Thank you for your responses Hogan and jrw159.

It looks like I'm going to have to qualify to section 4c to comply with D1.1.  This was my original interpretation but was asked to review further for any work a rounds. 

Thanks again,

JLane
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 14:52
Jeff,
  "Showing some sort of welder qualification would insure a quick and easy sign off from EOR. Of course EOR could just as easily sign with no qualification." 

"Look at figure 4.39 specimen for tack welder. then read 4.18.1.2 and 4.18.2.2 I think this would put you where you need to be. This is as easy of a test as there is, to my limited knowledge."

In light of further investigation I must state that the two responses I have posted would only be a remedy for your situation in the manner of EOR sign off and not valid qualification to process and proceedure per AWS D1.1. I would have to agree with the other post's that this indeed would be a PJP groove application. EOR sign off on tack weld qualification would be accepteble per code and would probably fly with your customer, but ideally it would be best to qualify them properly.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Oxyfuel cutting gouge repair by welding