Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / x
- - By apxpred Date 04-01-2008 14:13 Edited 04-05-2008 02:07
[deleted]
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 12:13
What is "IT"?

Learning to communicate is one of the inspector's most important jobs. Key to that is learning to use industry standard terms and definitions. Abbreviations or the use of of nonstandard terms is counterproductive and can causes miscommunication between the inspector and the welder, supervisors, engineers, and the owner. The use of proper terminology also separates you from the "wanabies".

Terms like "stacking metal", "splatter", "gas", "dry pass", have different meanings to different people from different industries that use welding to join materials. While their meaning may be obvious to you, they are not obvious to anyone else other than your close associates. In another setting it make you look illiterate.

If you watch the "80's Show", "IT" meant "getting lucky". So I repeat myself, "What is IT?"

My advice is to get your hands on the welding standard you are working with and read the glossary to see what standard terms are used and get a copy of AWS 3.0 from AWS to learn the standard terms and definitions that are applicable to welding and brazing. It is not unusual for different industries to adopt specific terms and publish those terms in the glossary of the applicable welding code or standard. Most nationally recognized welding standards defer to AWS A3.0 for terms not listed in their glossary.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-06-2008 01:12
looks like he decided against posting.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-02-2008 22:51 Edited 04-03-2008 12:02
Paul,

I am with Al on this one. You've mentioned api 1104, so I'll go with the 20th edition

12.8 INSPECTION AND TESTING OF
PRODUCTION WELDS
Production welds shall be inspected and tested in accordance
with Section 8.

8.2 METHODS OF INSPECTION
Nondestructive testing may consist of radiographic inspection
or another method specified by the company. The method
used shall produce indications of imperfections that can be
accurately interpreted and evaluated. The welds shall be evaluated
on the basis of either Section 9 or, at the company's
option, Appendix A.

9 Acceptance Standards for
Nondestructive Testing
9.1 GENERAL
The acceptance standards presented in this section apply to
imperfections located by radiographic, magnetic particle, liquid
penetrant, and ultrasonic test methods. They may also be
applied to visual inspection. Nondestructive testing shall not
be used to select welds that are subjected to destructive testing
in accordance with 6.5.

1104 uses a lot of acronyms for indications, remember that any can be used for visual testing as applicable in accordance with para 9.1:
Radiography;
IP   inadequate penetration
IPD inadequate penetration due to high low
ICP inadequate cross penetration
IF   incomplete fusion
IFD incomplete fusion due to cold lap
IC   internal concavity
BU  burn through
ESI elongated slag inclusion
ISI  isolated slag inclusion
P    porosity
CP  cluster porosity
HB  hollow bead porosity
C   cracks
EU  cover pass undercut
IU  root pass undercut
AI  accumulated imperfections "All but IPD and undercutting"

Most terms are under radiography with the following exceptions;
UT method
LS  linear surface
LB  linear buried
T   transverse (other than cracks)
VC  volumetric cluster
VI  volumetric individual
VR  volumetric root
AR  accumulated relevant indications, "modified to be inclusive of all UT indications as compared to AI for RT

Having quoted and stated the above, no combination of any of the above comes up with "IT" from 1104. If I were dyslexic, I'd be taking IT to mean TI or tungsten inclusion. Since you mentioned stainless, it may be the case that, that's what your thinking. I looked at all the terms in appendix A as well, and posted them to myself in a private message in the off chance this forum format converted a copy paste to "IT", no dice on that one either.
Al's advice is sound, It would be a very good idea to get the terms down before you write a report "rejected for IT". /edit point will be made without previous statement.

Respectfully,
Gerald
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-03-2008 03:03
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the neighborhood.  Doing some "homework" and finding answers is always a good idea before getting on the job, this applies for new inspectors and old ones alike.   For questions, you have come to the right place as there is a huge base of knowledge to tap into here.  I read your (first) post yesterday and assumed you mis-typed IT for TI  and that you were referring to tungsten inclusion, especially after your reference to SS piping.  Is that the case?

Heck, I was expecting to see a lively discussion tonight on whether a TI would be considered a "nonmetallic" solid ...... or not.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 04-03-2008 09:23
You're using 1104 for stainless steel?!
Mankenberg
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-03-2008 12:16
It is theoretically possible to be using SS. Highly unlikely, but possible. If it is, it would be limited application as it relates to B31.8. I am unaware of any pipeline anywhere using SS that can be classed as x country. I'll give the guy the room for doubt, especially since it was predicated on being a new inspector. Thirdeye did make a relevant statement. "Doing some "homework" and finding answers is always a good idea before getting on the job, this applies for new inspectors and old ones alike".
Sometimes the old ones forget they were not born with the spec, code, and cam gauge in hand. Myself included. I'd like to thank thirdeye for that reminder.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By apxpred Date 04-04-2008 14:35
[deleted]
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2008 19:50
API 1104 will cover about anything the engineer wishes. Under materials it states API 5L or ASTM standards. Under fillers, an exclusion is given for using something other than the c/las.
If your working on a compressor station upgrade, it is exceptionally unlikely you'll be working with B31.1. I would suggest utilizing the search function of this forum for post related to the ASME pressure pipe series in particular B31.3.

As for tungsten inclusions, you'll have to pick a code to get an answer as to whats acceptable. From your description, That code could be B31.8 transmission lines, B31.3 process piping, or 1104, or something entirely different. Project specs should spell out what code your working to. Do you not have a procedure? and if not, why don't you have a copy of the relevant code? are you the owners inspector? or are you the examiner?

As for "what point do they become a defect", depends on size usually, and they normally found in the radiograph rather than the visual. though possible, I'd be a bit more than disturbed if a welder left a rejectable chunk of tungsten on the surface of the weld.

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / x