Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tungsten question....need quick input?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-02-2008 10:04
Okey Dokey.......Lanthanated 2% vs. Lanthanated pure.

Looking for best performance on A/C with sine wave and square wave machines....we use 2% thoriated on everything here  (puke).  Trying to make a few inprovements in process.   I need to know if the 2% will do the job or do I need the pure?  (pure lanthrated????)  I Have not used this stuff before but I am looking forward to holding a a semisharp tip on some .032 filllets.   So fire away so I can tell the expiditer what to order.

Thank you in advance
Tommy
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2008 11:03
Tommy

No such thing as "Lanthanated Pure"  lets get that out of the way.

Now.. I prefer Cerium (orange) for the type of work you describe, thin aluminum.

Cerium will carry as much current as thorium (red) or lanthanum (gold or black), about 1/3 more than Zirconium (brown) and twice as much current as pure tungsten (green).. But it degrades differently when overheated. The cerium electrodes will slowly round on the tip rather than growing those annoying nodules and spitting across the arc to ruin X-rays like thorium will.

I prefer Cerium over Lanthanum 1.5 or Lanthanum 2% because in my experience the arc tends to stay on the point of the electrode at low amps a little better with the cerium... The lanthanium electrodes I've used have always arced off the edge of the bevel when running low amps or tailing off at the end of a weld.

Having said all that... Different brands perform a bit differently and It costs very little (relatively) to buy a few boxes and run some quick trials to see what is the best thing you can get your hands on.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-03-2008 01:06
Thanks Lawrence

The supplier asked me if I wanted the 2% or the pure...so hence my confusion.  Your right no big deal to order both (cerium and lanthanum) and give them a shot.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 04-03-2008 02:56
I would also try zirconated, Tommyj. I agree with Lawrence about ceriated, as well. The ceriated lights up better. I always try everything.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tungsten question....need quick input?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!